need a driving dog

Help Support CattleToday:

RNW

Reaction score
need a dog sometimes to push cattle....already have a german shepard for home protection ..my cows are calm, and can call them to barn in general when needed...got into my hay pasture today and had a 2 hour time getting them out...reminded me of when my dad had a blue heeler to drive cows...dog would need to get along with my home dogs but i would train him on driving cows..had some experience with border collie, blue heeler in the past...love to halve any opinions

need a dog sometimes to push cattle....already have a german shepard for home protection ..my cows are calm, and can call them to barn in general when needed...got into my hay pasture today and had a 2 hour time getting them out...reminded me of when my dad had a blue heeler to drive cows...dog would need to get along with my home dogs but i would train him on driving cows..had some experience with border collie, blue heeler in the past...love to halve any opinions
In my experience you get 5 stupid cattle dogs for every good 1.. and a lifetime for 1 great dog.. and then once you realize you've really got a great cattle dog, it gets run over by a truck.
Much easier to train your cows to follow a bucket.

In my experience you get 5 stupid cattle dogs for every good 1.. and a lifetime for 1 great dog.. and then once you realize you've really got a great cattle dog, it gets run over by a truck.
Much easier to train your cows to follow a bucket.
Having said that, for just driving cattle, I'd vote heeler. For anything above and beyond driving: border collie (the heartier BC's, not the sheep or geese ones)

Latest posts