***What SHould I Do***

Help Support CattleToday:

Case IH":39wdmv0s said:
I have seen a good dog work, and its not dark 24 hours a day, you cant find the cow in the daytime, and also, this good dog you talk about is going to know which way to run the cow that 1/2 mile through brush to where the gate is?

All you have is excuses if you wanted that cow you would go get it. It is very apparenent you have never had to catch a cow before or your scared of a nut cow. If are scared of one you are right to stay away from her. It sounds like you want someone to catch it for you.
What you need is some neighbor to report you to the local Stock Law Officer and after the Sheriff impounded her and fined you good and hard you would go get the next one.

Caustic, find another post to rant on, I dont care how experienced of a cattleman you are. It's appearant you think you know what you are talking about and you are dead set about your ways, im glad for you. But if you dont have anything better to say than what was in your last post dont bother replying anymore, knowone wants to hear it. :oops:

dont let em bother ya...150-200 head thorugh out the year running on a large number of cares i would assume if they dont come up all at one time cause they are grazing how could you count them. Shell come around sooner or later winter has to be gettin close i dont know what kinda of winter you have...starve her up..

not familiar with your country caseih but I have been to the big thicket and the part I saw was fairly flat but one heck of a thicket. It would be tough to bust a critter out of there and I am sure at least as tough if not tougher where you are. Up here everyones critters get out once in a while, if i see a neighbors animal i call him and vice versa, I doubt a person that has been in the business for a while has never lost a cow, some are just fence crawling, pains in the butt. As for some of these people thinking you do not know how many cattle ya have they didn't get the jist of your statement, I'm sure your numbers vary as does any herd due to culls from being open, grass conditions, hay supply, blah blah blah.... Not to tough to figure out. I don't care how many cubes ya put out the beef animal will mill around and jockey for position. and counting at the gate can be tough too. Up here we only run 20-25 pair to the quarter so when they are on grass it is easier. As for your problem, If you can guess weight fairly well, and if your vet will sell you some get a tranq. have him shoot it or yourself, hopefully near a place you can load, if not give her enough to knock her down, maybe hobble her, get a good horse and start dragging. It would be nice if she could still walk so you could kinda lead her to a pen , you must have a few panels around. Up here cattle getting out does not make you liable unless there is a history of your animals getting out. (Open range law) this is not open range country.

Well i just read my post, I meant have the vet or you shoot the cow with the tranquilizer. not have the vet shoot you! Sorry I don't know how to type and it takes me a while to put my thoughts into a keyboard, and they usually don't sound like I wanted :cboy:

fortunately for me I have never used the rifle, but I have a bow and arrow setup that you should be within 10 yards or so, but from what my rancher buddies tell me ,mif ya can get in that 20 to 30 yard mark ya should be ok, depends on the rifle i imagine

Dogs don't care if it's day or night,it's easier for you in the daytime.A trained dog will trail that cow to where it hides in the daytime and depending on the dog and how it's trained will either catch the cow where it's at,then it's up to you to get a rope on her and get her in a trailer or the dogs can bring that cow out of any type of terrian and put her in a pen or take her to your place if it's not to far.The dogs do not have to know where the gates are, they will work that cow to their handler[where ever the dogs handler goes,the dogs will move the cow there].A pair of GOOD dogs,and that cow is in your pasture in a couple of hours.

Heres a great idea!!!
why dont you sell the cow to your cousin/neighbor? heh

sure why not? maybe even let him have a cold beer assuming he is of legal age.

hey case, I just remembed, a few weeks ago I replied to someone about working calves or something...anyway I had a few insults from a couple people here that complained that i was to excited about branding and castrating and they thought " I must be 18 or 19" I emailed one and she apologized.... in private but insulted in public. Unreal some of the attitudes on this board, some darn good advice too, but no shortage of smart butt answers from people just waiting to show us how smart they are(n't) just weed out the jerks and listen to the level heads and you might pick up good info. ...oh yeah hi msscamp

Eatbeef, just wanted to say thanks, its hard not to let some guys get to you and under your skin, im workin on it though.. :lol2:

eatbeef":2qi4l8ab said:
hey case, I just remembed, a few weeks ago I replied to someone about working calves or something...anyway I had a few insults from a couple people here that complained that i was to excited about branding and castrating and they thought " I must be 18 or 19" I emailed one and she apologized.... in private but insulted in public. Unreal some of the attitudes on this board, some darn good advice too, but no shortage of smart butt answers from people just waiting to show us how smart they are(n't) just weed out the jerks and listen to the level heads and you might pick up good info. ...oh yeah hi msscamp

Whatever you think, Eatbeef. You don't see me whining for advice on how to round up my cows. They get out I go get them! As for that apology, consider it retracted. My original assessment was correct after all.

I don't want to imagine what it would be like trying to crawl under half a mile of laurel and rhododendren up hill. And those loose shale patches. No matter how fast you are, going up and down hill is no match for a four legged animal. It would be like trying to steerwrestle a deer.
I would be afraid of hiring someone to come hunt her down with catch dogs and a dart gun might cost more than the cow was worth. I am sure these guys don't live next door to Case IH. I can see the bill they hand you once they attempt to run the mountains.
There was a reason that moonshiners picked that kind of land to do business on. They were impossible to catch.
Hey Case, she might be eating distiller's grain somewhere, staying all fattened up.
It is hard to explain the terrain unless you have been in it.
I have pictures taken several years ago, but none with a digital camera that I could post.
If you see her come close to the fence or to the other cows, maybe you can start putting out a little feed and move it closer to part of the barn lot that you can leave open, then slowly move it inside.
It's a good thought, but sounds way too easy. Just call her the wild cow of the mountain. Just hope she doesn't start recruiting members.

Caustic Burno":y9b6w8qv said:
Case IH":y9b6w8qv said:
I have seen a good dog work, and its not dark 24 hours a day, you cant find the cow in the daytime, and also, this good dog you talk about is going to know which way to run the cow that 1/2 mile through brush to where the gate is?

All you have is excuses if you wanted that cow you would go get it. It is very apparenent you have never had to catch a cow before or your scared of a nut cow. If are scared of one you are right to stay away from her. It sounds like you want someone to catch it for you.
What you need is some neighbor to report you to the local Stock Law Officer and after the Sheriff impounded her and fined you good and hard you would go get the next one.

So very true, you hit this one right. 4 weeks out loose? need to put a rope on her, and if you can't get the 30-06. Cowboy up, or get out. Case IH

Latest posts