I see train wreck coming

Help Support CattleToday:

To be honest, I would much prefer those days when neighbors were nosey. Things didn't go off the rails.
Not me ! Can't stand nosey ass neighbors who have nothing better to do than gossip behind peoples back.
Far cry from neighbors who actually help and support each other when needed.

Not me ! Can't stand nosey ass neighbors who have nothing better to do than gossip behind peoples back.
Far cry from neighbors who actually help and support each other when needed.
Two elderly, excited Southern women were sitting together in the front pew of church listening to a fiery preacher.

When this preacher condemned the sin of stealing, these two ladies cried out at the top of their lungs, "AMEN, BROTHER!"

When the preacher condemned the sin of lust, they yelled again, "PREACH IT, REVEREND!"

And when the preacher condemned the sin of lying, they jumped to their feet and screamed, "RIGHT ON, BROTHER! TELL IT LIKE IT IS! AMEN!"

But when the preacher condemned the sin of gossip, the two got very quiet. One turned to the other and said, "He's quit preaching and now he's meddlin'."

About 25 years ago I traded some horses, the guy I traded with had an old mare in horrible shape, he was headed to the kill plant with her, my boys were boys then, they pet the old mare, set on her and had to have her, you could tell she was one heck of a horse in her hay day, I gave the man a little money for her and brought her home, we turned her and a younger one I bought out in a trap that had grass and a shed she could get under and started feeding her, the very next day a deputy showed up and said I was reported for starving a horse, I told him we just got her yesterday and she was headed to the kill plant so I bought her, he said he could see they were on grass and had feed, later I caught this couple driving in my pasture, I could have got them for trespassing but I didn't, I just let it go.
I always mind my business and dang sure don't get in other people's business.

it sounds like he is making a bit of an effort of looking after them Dave. We all make mistakes especially if we move into a new area until we get to know the lay of the land. You seem to be starting to run out of winter too and from the looks of that he has a bit of forage to get him through especially with a bit of lucerne supplementation. How is their condition holding up?

Ken

Dave have you actually spoken with the neighbor about your concerns on his heifers or do you just post pictures of his cattle/land and talk about how stupid he his on the forum?
I have talked to him. Not since the heifers arrived. But in talking to him I have come to the conclusion that he already know everything. He wants to tell us how everything needs to be done.

Oh,...the things we've heard about you Brute....!
My other favorite comes from a friend of mines young daughter. Her mom said... what the heck do you think you are doing? The daughter replied... they are going to talk about me any ways... I might as well give them some thing to talk about that might actually be true.

It was at that point... we all knew... they were in trouble. 🤣

Two things thoughts come to mind.

One thing about living in a small town if you don't know what you are up to ask the nosey neighbor!

When you hear about something you did and you think to yourself damn that sounds like fun ! I wish I would have been there when I did that!

Along with the feeders full of alfalfa I now see an Amipro tub out there. His idea back in January about how well these Galloway heifer would do out there on old mature grass seems to have flown out the window.
Or was that the plan all along?
And he was yanking the neighbor, who thought he was a complete idiot, chain🤔🧐

My other favorite comes from a friend of mines young daughter. Her mom said... what the heck do you think you are doing? The daughter replied... they are going to talk about me any ways... I might as well give them some thing to talk about that might actually be true.

It was at that point... we all knew... they were in trouble. 🤣
Niece went to school when she first started and said she had to set in the truck while Grandpa went to see his girlfriends.

He was feeding cows.

Two elderly, excited Southern women were sitting together in the front pew of church listening to a fiery preacher.

When this preacher condemned the sin of stealing, these two ladies cried out at the top of their lungs, "AMEN, BROTHER!"

When the preacher condemned the sin of lust, they yelled again, "PREACH IT, REVEREND!"

And when the preacher condemned the sin of lying, they jumped to their feet and screamed, "RIGHT ON, BROTHER! TELL IT LIKE IT IS! AMEN!"

But when the preacher condemned the sin of gossip, the two got very quiet. One turned to the other and said, "He's quit preaching and now he's meddlin'."
I take the example that Glen Campbell outlined in Try a Little Kindness,
If you see your brother standing by the road
With a heavy load from the seeds he sowed
And if you see your sister falling by the way
Just stop and say, "You're going the wrong way"

Out here in California, there is a group trying to enact an ordinance to shut down animal agriculture in Sonoma County. I would much rather deal with social ostracism to encourage us to act right than to be driven from the land.

Out here in California, there is a group trying to enact an ordinance to shut down animal agriculture in Sonoma County. I would much rather deal with social ostracism to encourage us to act right than to be driven from the land.
I'd like to speak at any hearing they have...

They will have some very basic arguments to present which are easily refuted if proper context is added.

Last edited:
I take the example that Glen Campbell outlined in Try a Little Kindness,
If you see your brother standing by the road
With a heavy load from the seeds he sowed
And if you see your sister falling by the way
Just stop and say, "You're going the wrong way"

I hope shutting down animal agriculture never happens out there, but there is a possibility, I would be afraid to own anything out there if that happens, what about other property rights, could they just take your land and spread it like they do money?
If Texas turns blue, I'm thinking about heading north, most likely Oklahoma?

It's not just in California. It's happening here in Texas too. The humane society came out of Houston and took cattle from a small town 2 hours away after a call in. They do it all the time.

You can turn a blind eye and act like it's not your business but if we don't police our own, some one else will.

It's not just in California. It's happening here in Texas too. The humane society came out of Houston and took cattle from a small town 2 hours away after a call in. They do it all the time.

You can turn a blind eye and act like it's not your business but if we don't police our own, some one else will.
The vegan/animal rights lies are getting more converts as the world grows more feminized. Not to say there aren't good things gained by women becoming a stronger force in society, but there is always a downside to changes we often don't recognize.

In any case, Germany, the Netherlands, and Sri Lanka have all stuck their legal restrictions into agriculture without bothering to think about the consequences. California is a large economy and they are chock full of unrealistic wishful thinkers. It's a growing trend and the downside to our own arguments is that rural agriculturalists have made a name for themselves as being anti-science... when our best arguments are based in science.

Latest posts