I came out ahead

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I had a yearling steer who made the great escape last May. He spent the summer up in the hills with the neighbor's cows. Got him back earlier this week. So yesterday he got a ride to the sale. I pulled into the slip and unloaded the steer. Hopped back in the pickup and turned the key. Nothing, and I do mean nothing. The sale yard people pulled me out of the way. The wife has AAA and she put me on it. So I called them. That was a waste of my time. All they wanted to do was give the truck a jump. I am 75 miles from home. Very few tools and sitting in the back lot at the sale yard. I walked about half a mile to a mechanic shop. They came back up to the truck, diagnosed the problem (starter went out), got the truck started. I dropped off the trailer and drove to their shop. They already had the part store drop off a new starter. 20 minutes later I was back on the road. My steer sold. And I bought one bred cow. New starter $330. A 5 month bred Charolais cow cost $1,150. Steer weighed 875 and sold for $2.00 a pound. $1,750 minus $1,150 and $330. I came out $270 ahead for the day. Home before 7:00 and the wife didn't have to come retrieve me. I am calling it a win.

@Dave ... not a long term solution... BUT.... have had that happen several times to one of the trucks... the starter "sticks"...and it does absolutely NOTHING when you turn the key... get down under the truck and tap the starter a few times with a hammer... it will knock the worn brushes or armature or something loose, and it will start... Not my idea of fun, but it has gotten me going before.... it is a well known thing around here in our Fords...

@Dave ... not a long term solution... BUT.... have had that happen several times to one of the trucks... the starter "sticks"...and it does absolutely NOTHING when you turn the key... get down under the truck and tap the starter a few times with a hammer... it will knock the worn brushes or armature or something loose, and it will start... Not my idea of fun, but it has gotten me going before.... it is a well known thing around here in our Fords...
Will u marry me?!

Wait. I'm already married....

I should just delete this

Getting those jeans dirty again Jan.

Ken

Will u marry me?!

Wait. I'm already married....

I should just delete this
Where were you when I wanted a partner who appreciated a farm girl and could tolerate a mediocre house most of the time... ???:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:😊😊😉😉😉

Oh wait, @wbvs58 likes the dirty jeans... but you are closer......

Decisions... whoops... you are both married ( I think)....🫣🫣🤫🤫🤫😥😥😥

Guess I will just go out and talk to the chickens and the cows...🐮🐮🐔🐤🐄🐄🐂🐓🐓🐓 Convince them that they need to lay more eggs🥚🥚 and have some calves......

The mechanic tried the tap on the starter trick. It didn't work. I could see him scratch his head. He crawled back under and did something. It started then. At that point I didn't ask any questions. I was just happy it started and I could drive it to the shop.

The mechanic tried the tap on the starter trick. It didn't work. I could see him scratch his head. He crawled back under and did something. It started then. At that point I didn't ask any questions. I was just happy it started and I could drive it to the shop.
There's only two things he could have done under yout truck....turned the heavy-guage wire on the starter to make it tighter...or used a screw-driver to turn the starter's teeth freeing up the throw-out-pinion..i believe it was the second one.

There's only two things he could have done under yout truck....turned the heavy-guage wire on the starter to make it tighter...or used a screw-driver to turn the starter's teeth freeing up the throw-out-pinion..i believe it was the second one.
Or shorted across the solenoid with the screwdriver. I think it was that one.

Ken

Latest posts