I see train wreck coming

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I have a new neighbor. He bought 150 acres just east of me last summer. There is about 30 acres that is irrigated which he never cut the hay. Sort of stock piled. He doesn't live on the place. There is no house. He lives 100 miles away in Boise. He told me last week that he has 25 bred Galloway heifers that are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I asked if he had any feed. He pointed to the stock pile. Then he explained to me that these Galloway heifers will do well grazing on the hills. He has about 120 acres of sage brush hill. We figure about 5 acres per cow per month. When talking about the hills he was pointing toward my place. His cows aren't going there. How long does 30 acres of stock piled last for 25 heifers? What if we get a foot or two of snow? The 10 day forecast has snow on 8 of the 10 days. I didn't ask him but how do you calf out 25 heifers when you live and work 100 miles away? I see a train wreck coming.

Did u by chance ask if he gave more than about 1300 each??

🤣

Dang things are gonna look like my 56 dollar beltie in no time. If they don't die first
I am certain he gave more than $1,300. They are coming out of Oklahoma. They are the solid colored Galloway heifers. Tough time to arrive in Eastern Oregon. Snow everyday next week and by the end of the week it is supposed drop into single digit temperatures.

I have a new neighbor. He bought 150 acres just east of me last summer. There is about 30 acres that is irrigated which he never cut the hay. Sort of stock piled. He doesn't live on the place. There is no house. He lives 100 miles away in Boise. He told me last week that he has 25 bred Galloway heifers that are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I asked if he had any feed. He pointed to the stock pile. Then he explained to me that these Galloway heifers will do well grazing on the hills. He has about 120 acres of sage brush hill. We figure about 5 acres per cow per month. When talking about the hills he was pointing toward my place. His cows aren't going there. How long does 30 acres of stock piled last for 25 heifers? What if we get a foot or two of snow? The 10 day forecast has snow on 8 of the 10 days. I didn't ask him but how do you calf out 25 heifers when you live and work 100 miles away? I see a train wreck coming.
Dave, not that you have time or resources, but the neighborly thing for you to do is make yourself somewhat available to assist, if you are able. By no means am I suggesting you single handedly bail him out. I'd only help if I were you if 'he's a drowning victim and going down for the 3rd time'.

The thing is, you have a trained eye and can see this disaster coming in slow motion that you really don't want to watch, yet at the same time, if it were me, I'd be curious to see what is going to happen. You might suggest to him that he at least strip graze the stockpile. That will buy him some reaction time, unless its buried too deep.

We have enough trouble living on the farm right with the cattle.
That dude is in for rude awakening.
The two Galloways I bought back in the spring seem to have the same nutritional needs and eating habits as the other cattle, so I think it's safe to say the self reliance is more on the side of hype.

I am certain he gave more than $1,300. They are coming out of Oklahoma. They are the solid colored Galloway heifers. Tough time to arrive in Eastern Oregon. Snow everyday next week and by the end of the week it is supposed drop into single digit temperatures.
Oh no! Totally not acclimated.

If they are haired up, they MIGHT do ok....

Most around here are haired up already. But farther south, I don't know....
If you mean they might SURVIVE as being ok. Aside from the acclimation problem, they WILL be short on feed at some point. I hope he puts supplement out for them.

Dave, not that you have time or resources, but the neighborly thing for you to do is make yourself somewhat available to assist, if you are able. By no means am I suggesting you single handedly bail him out. I'd only help if I were you if 'he's a drowning victim and going down for the 3rd time'.

The thing is, you have a trained eye and can see this disaster coming in slow motion that you really don't want to watch, yet at the same time, if it were me, I'd be curious to see what is going to happen. You might suggest to him that he at least strip graze the stockpile. That will buy him some reaction time, unless its buried too deep.
I told the neighbors. The answers were not real positive. These people will absolutely jump in and help a neighbor in need. But someone new who hasn't even moved here...... I tried to explain flood irrigation to him last summer. Didn't work out well. He doesn't take suggestions well.
He did say he was going to strip graze it. But will it last until late April when he could turn up on the hill? Then the hill ground would be done for the year by the end of May. The only hope I see is him buying hay. Then hiring some local to feed for him. There is a candidate to hire. He is not overly energetic but he could get 25 heifers fed.

Did u by chance ask if he gave more than about 1300 each??

🤣

Dang things are gonna look like my 56 dollar beltie in no time. If they don't die first
When they get skinny and light enough you might be able to afford a trip to Oregon to buy them. By then you might be ready to start a new project...

But someone new who hasn't even moved here...... I tried to explain... He doesn't take suggestions well.

Yup, trainwreck coming... Sorry you are so close to it. Might be best to let him get a reality check quick, but it's always hard to let the animals take that kind of abuse.

30 acres, 25 heifers, irrigated........eastern Oregon.......amt given in each strip will have an impact. My guess is the animals would have enough feed for 2 months, likely enough for 3 months. 4 months would require pretty much daily strips and wouldn't expect 4 even at that.

30 acres, 25 heifers, irrigated........eastern Oregon.......amt given in each strip will have an impact. My guess is the animals would have enough feed for 2 months, likely enough for 3 months. 4 months would require pretty much daily strips and wouldn't expect 4 even at that.
I doubt I'd calculate it that way. I'm thinking a month. Could be less...

If the animals aren't acclimated they'll be eating more.

What about water?