I see train wreck coming

Help Support CattleToday:

The cows when they get hungry
Be interesting to see who fails first ...his wary 200 mile drive (4 hours) every few days-once a week....or his cows getting out. My money is on the cows pushing past the fence. I think the first time he rolls in after 100 miles and sees his cows gone, that are not cattle cube trained...his dreamy endeavor will be over. A heart sinking reality.

It will depend on which way they go when they get out. He will either be getting a phone call right away from one of 4 neighbors. Or he will be seeing them next fall when one of the neighbor gathers. Neighbors here don't get excited about a cow or two getting into their feed row. But they aren't going to feed 25 that belong to someone else. I just thought how are these marked? Brand and/or ear tags? What is his plan for the calves? Cows that get out and travel can go a long ways from home around here. If they head up on my place or one of 3 other neighbors rattling a grain bucket ain't going to work. It is horses and dogs. And he has neither one of those. I had a broken mouth pair go walk about last summer. She got picked up in another ranchers gather about 12 miles from where she was supposed to be. And that is 12 miles of pretty rough ground. But the cow and the calf both had my brand and ear tag.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see who fails first ...his wary 200 mile drive (4 hours) every few days-once a week....or his cows getting out. My money is on the cows pushing past the fence. I think the first time he rolls in after 100 miles and sees his cows gone, that are not cattle cube trained...his dreamy endeavor will be over. A heart sinking reality.
Maybe Ol Bob could keep them all eating the same direction and the forage will last twice as long.

I do find this a little ironic. I remember making posts about how we don't tolerate loose cattle from people who don't pay attention to their stuff. I was told... Around here.... Yada Yada Yada.

It's funny how one neighbor can change all that. Guess some parts of the country are just a little behind.

Urban expansion can sure change the rules of the game. Welcome to the Thunderdome. 😄

At the old place, we had a distant neighbor of 'the old school' that every winter, after 1st frost, just opened his fences and let his cows 'run the bottoms' which meant they ran in or on everyone's pasture within a couple miles in any direction and 1/2 mile either side of the little river. He never bought hay because woods grass stayed green and they browsed on yaupon and low hanging sweetgum. He claimed trees and limbs kept his fences down, but we knew it only happened the same time of year every year. Didn't mind too much because he was a really good guy, what I would call a 'real East Tx cowboy' that still used dogs and horses and would lend a hand any time you needed him but eventually, his cows got in the wrong property and someone filed a complaint with a county judge and he had to either fix his fences or sell his cattle. He tried it for about a year, but finally decided to sell out.

We calve crossbred heifers all the time with no one watching. It's not about breed.

Cattle that have some one always watching them... require some one to always be watching them.
I wasn't saying criollo were less likely to have calving trouble, was saying they are cheap enough that if you do lose some to that it's not a major loss financially like good beef heifers or cows. Around here you'll rarely find good cattle that are not checked daily because most are small operations, the ones you'll find that aren't will be criollo, brimmer X or just plain raggedy and usually a little wild. We do have some around like the person in the original post that want to play weekend cowboy and can throw money at their cattle and not worry about profit and only show up every once in a great while to tend them. It's very different in this part of the world than yours, very few big places and rarely anyone keeping cattle more than 20-30 miles from home. Growing up I only knew of one full time cattleman in Eastern Arkansas, he run over 150 pairs which is a big operation in Arkansas. He had pastures spread out over about a 40 mile area or more. Kept quite a few on the St. Francis and Mississippi River Levees which was basically a free lease. He told me he checked all of his cows daily if at all possible.

Told my wife, who's from southeast Oklahoma about this last night, she said are they crazy? Oklahoma to Oregon in the middle of winter?
On another note, I wonder how well acclimated those Galloways are to Oklahoma, the 2 belted ones we have like the ponds a lot of the year here, and they have been in KY all their lives.

I do find this a little ironic. I remember making posts about how we don't tolerate loose cattle from people who don't pay attention to their stuff. I was told... Around here.... Yada Yada Yada.

It's funny how one neighbor can change all that. Guess some parts of the country are just a little behind.

Urban expansion can sure change the rules of the game. Welcome to the Thunderdome. 😄
There is certainly no "urban expansion" here. There was at least 5 times more people here 100 years ago than there is now. We don't worry about a cow or three. I am feeding 60 cows right now. A cow from one of the neighbors shows up in my field it is no big deal. I might end up feeding her all winter. It has happened. If 25 show up because the owner isn't taking care of them, that is a big deal. Do my cows get short changed because of what his cows are eating? Does my hay stack not last because I am feeding his cows? When he points to the hills and says his cows will do great up there. Somebody owns those hills. If one of mine or the neighbors cows crawls through a fence it is no big deal because it happens. Both ways. They will get sorted out eventually. Someone figures they can just turn their cows out there because they have too many for their own ground...... that ain't going to fly. And then there is the whole cows coming in mid winter with no hay. we hate to see cows suffer just like anyone else.

It bothers me as much that they are coming there this time of year, not acclimated to the climate or the terrain or the type of grass or the elevation of the ground, as anything... We have cows get over on another farmer... have had some of theirs on us... we work it out whenever we get up the animals to sort them out; or to move someone somewhere else.... If there is a bull problem that is a little different... BUT like @Dave says, we are not going to be feeding a bunch of cows because the owner does not take care of fences, or feed enough to take care of them or anything like that...or let them run out in "the hills".... regardless of who the hills belong to....
I feel for you @Dave , going to be an "interesting" situation....and yep, looking like a train wreck..

I wonder how well acclimated those Galloways are to Oklahoma, the 2 belted ones we have like the ponds a lot of the year here, and they have been in KY all their lives.

That may be a good point. Galloways come from chill, damp climates compared to Oklahoma. The sudden change may be a problem, and elevation change might even be a factor, but the climate might be Galloway friendly.

There is certainly no "urban expansion" here. There was at least 5 times more people here 100 years ago than there is now. We don't worry about a cow or three. I am feeding 60 cows right now. A cow from one of the neighbors shows up in my field it is no big deal. I might end up feeding her all winter. It has happened. If 25 show up because the owner isn't taking care of them, that is a big deal. Do my cows get short changed because of what his cows are eating? Does my hay stack not last because I am feeding his cows? When he points to the hills and says his cows will do great up there. Somebody owns those hills. If one of mine or the neighbors cows crawls through a fence it is no big deal because it happens. Both ways. They will get sorted out eventually. Someone figures they can just turn their cows out there because they have too many for their own ground...... that ain't going to fly. And then there is the whole cows coming in mid winter with no hay. we hate to see cows suffer just like anyone else.
That's what we all use to say, when we had 2 neighbors. Then it became 4 but only 1 was a problem, some times. Then 4 became 7 because they subdivided. Next thing you know, you only have 1 good neighbor and you are surrounded by 8 or 10 others. 😄

Our main property is bordered by a state highway, and 6 other properties.
Other property is bordered by the state highway, a county road, an abandoned railroad and I neighboring house and lot.
Our neighboring properties are the whole range from real good folks that are good to work with all the way to complete messes. And ever time one of them changed hands it's a potential problem waiting to happen.
My cousin's property borders a subdivision so he has all kinds of neighbors and problems.
He has had people trying to catch and ride his horses, and even had a kid use his barn for target practice, shooting out the windshield of an old cattle truck. s my cousin says the more people you have around you the more problems you have.

Our main property is bordered by a state highway, and 6 other properties.
Other property is bordered by the state highway, a county road, an abandoned railroad and I neighboring house and lot.
Our neighboring properties are the whole range from real good folks that are good to work with all the way to complete messes. And ever time one of them changed hands it's a potential problem waiting to happen.
My cousin's property borders a subdivision so he has all kinds of neighbors and problems.
He has had people trying to catch and ride his horses, and even had a kid use his barn for target practice, shooting out the windshield of an old cattle truck. s my cousin says the more people you have around you the more problems you have.
In Arkansas I had a neighbor on the north side that was an old, retired Navy gunners mate. He live up a dirt track in overgrown woods that was an axle breaker and we saw him less than once a year. He came down to meet us and before he left he said, "I've got eighty acres over there... and if you ever need to hide a body feel free." I took that as a pretty good vote of confidence, but also wondered if it was a subtle warning. Either way, he was a great neighbor. Of course I'll never tell anyone how many holes we dug in his woods.

Hate my neighbors on two sides. I was told " been using this property for 40years and ain't gonna stop hunting or fishing it. I crushed the deer stands that summer and delivered them to thier respective driveways. They cut the fences to go 4wheeling, hunt etc. Caught a few here and there. The convict next door on 3 ac shoots my fish in my pond from his shop porch. Between him and his half doz dogs killed 22 chickens, 4 guinnies, 6 ducks and 7 turkeys in the last 3 years. Cops still won't help.
The other side shoots his rifle on his 2 acres and his targets cover my pasture. Shoots my truck windows with a bb gun. Sorry ass drunk. Yes I have holes in my barn too! I know if I retaliate it will be me in jail. They both grew up here and I am the new guy, only been here 15 years.

I hear that train a comin,
Rollin round the bend,
And I ain't seen my Galloways ,
Since I don't know when,

I been stuck in Boise Idaho
cause the weather's bad,
and I fear my lonesome heifers
packed their bags and left.

I bet Dave's drinkin coffee
-planning what comes next
called the brand inspector and
the local Sherriff

They're gonna load my wayward heifers
and send them to the sale

I saw a cattle truck over there on his place today so the Galloways have arrived. This next week he will probably be stuck in Boise. Dave doesn't drink coffee. How is that possible for someone of Scandinavian decent who was raised 30 miles from Seattle?
I can change the words…

Sarsasparilla doesn't really fit though.….. Red Rose?

Only in Canada eh?

The north and west sides of my property and about 3/4 of a mile on the south side are bordered by BLM. Most of the east side is bordered by a generational ranch. GGG grandpa came here in a covered wagon on the Oregon Trail. The area is zoned 320 acres minimum size to sub divide to and is required to build a new house.

Latest posts