I see train wreck coming

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave has had the flu since Saturday. From my road I can see some cows over there but that is nearly half a mile away. He is on the same side of the valley as me.. But he is on the end of a dead end road (south side of the valley). I have a bridge across the river on my driveway which connects to the road on the North side of the valley. I have felt like driving up his road but the flu has me down.

Dave has had the flu since Saturday. From my road I can see some cows over there but that is nearly half a mile away. He is on the same side of the valley as me.. But he is on the end of a dead end road (south side of the valley). I have a bridge across the river on my driveway which connects to the road on the North side of the valley. I have felt like driving up his road but the flu has me down.
Sorry for you having the flu. Hope you feel better soon. That crap can knock you for a loop.

No coffee, alcohol, or tobacco for me either.
Have had some wine a few times , rum once years ago, but it's a personal choice not to drink for me. Haven't touched any of it for almost 20 years. Very much a t totaler now.
Started chewing some tobacco at 10 years old. Beechnut, Levi Garret,
Never could handle that fine cut stuff in the cans. I liked a good size plug of tobacco. I chewed till about 19 maybe 20. Started having ulcer trouble and it seemed like it was making it worse even though I was spitting it out never understood why it was affecting my stomach. So I quit it cold turkey. Sometimes almost 30 years later my mouth still waters for a chew.
I started drinking coffee pretty young, mixing a lot of sugar and milk in it. Then over time stared cutting down on both sugar and milk. Some point cut out sugar in it altogether and finally started drinking it black. Got to liking it stronger and stronger and two or three cups a day.
3 or 4 years ago dropped pretty all caffeine due to high blood pressure and Ménière's disease.
Keep thinking I'll try somebdecaffeinated coffee because I like coffee so well but haven't yet other a cup or two when traveling.
I drink at least a half a pot of coffee a morning, we drink half caff and I drink decaf if it's after about 3 pm because I won't sleep otherwise.Drink either black or with a coconut/almond creamer or heavy whipping cream, cream if I'm sitting around the house, black if I'm taking it to go so I don't have to worry about it spoiling. I rarely drink any sodas, the carbonation in them makes my stomach hurt. Funny, I drink beer from time to time and rarely does the carbonation bother me like soda does. I rarely drink beer through the winter but in summer I love a good cold beer, especially if I'm grilling. I too started chewing tobacco at an early age, probably 7 or 8, my uncle chewed plug tobacco and would give me some and my cousin dipped copenhagen and he would give me some. I'm like you, the dipping never really was my thing but I loved chewing tobacco, I chewed Taylor's pride plug a lot and later switched to beechnut. I quit altogether when I was about 20, I had my bottom wisdom teeth cut out, about a 3 hour ordeal with me awake because I didn't want to be put to sleep, had to grind them off of my jawbone, left 2 big holes in my gums that they wouldn't stitch up for some reason and everything that went into those holes hurt terribly for a few months so I quit chewing. I too still crave a good chew of tobacco, it isn't so much the nicotine for me as the chewing and spitting. I didn't just leave it in my jaw, I chewed on it and wallered it around in my mouth.

Last edited:
Hope you're better soon. Grandsons visited over New Year and the youngest brought me a head cold for Christmas.

I'm not a tea-drinker anymore... back in the day, we'd go through a gallon a day... and, as a result, about 2 cups of sugar. Just too much.

For the past 2-3 years, I've been growing Roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa, aka Jamaican sorrel, Florida cranberry, etc.), a tropical hibiscus, as a garden annual. Plant looks kinda like Okra... 10-14 days after the blossoms drop, they develop a fleshy 'calyx' surrounding what looks like a short okra pod. You can peel that calyx material off and dehydrate it to make tea or other drinks... or cook down the seedpods for their pectin, strain and then toss in the fresh calyces and cook them down to make jam/jelly. My kids all love the dried Roselle calyx tea.
1704821744055.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roselle_(plant)

No actual evidence but the train wreck has to be started. There is 9 inches of new snow today. It was 23 degrees to start the day and now at 4:00 it is 18. The forecast says -5 tonight. There is an old corral/feedpen on this place. It is about 2 acres. That is where I could see the heifers standing earlier in the week. I know last summer there was a pretty good stand of Lambs quarter and Pig weed in there. I guess that is what they have to eat. It is about 8 miles by road to drive around to his place. Or about 3/4 of a mile on the quad through the fields. I am not going to make either one of those drives in this weather to stick my nose into someone else's business. If he figures he needs my help he has my phone number.
The highway cameras show that his storm tracked to the northeast. Boise is southeast and the roads look pretty clear that way.

No actual evidence but the train wreck has to be started. There is 9 inches of new snow today. It was 23 degrees to start the day and now at 4:00 it is 18. The forecast says -5 tonight. There is an old corral/feedpen on this place. It is about 2 acres. That is where I could see the heifers standing earlier in the week. I know last summer there was a pretty good stand of Lambs quarter and Pig weed in there. I guess that is what they have to eat. It is about 8 miles by road to drive around to his place. Or about 3/4 of a mile on the quad through the fields. I am not going to make either one of those drives in this weather to stick my nose into someone else's business. If he figures he needs my help he has my phone number.
The highway cameras show that his storm tracked to the northeast. Boise is southeast and the roads look pretty clear that way.
One time when dad worked for Warren Livestock the new owner told him to take some two year old steers to a pasture that the company always went to later in the year after the larkspur blooms were done. The boss told him to take them up there and not look back. A week later dad sent someone up there to take a look. Those steers were dropping like flies. Dad go ahold of all the larkspur dope he could and would treat them as the fell. The company lost a bunch that day, and the boss never admitted that he was wrong. Sometimes it hast to get them in the pocket book before they learn their lesson.

Hate it for those heifers, but I have to agree with you @Dave .... they are his cattle.... if they get too bad and he doesn't seem to care, then is there someone that you can "report" their condition to??? I don't like to stick my nose in other people's business either... but I will not allow something to starve if I am aware of it...

Latest posts