***What SHould I Do***

Help Support CattleToday:

I'ld like to see the people with all the answers gt plunked down in some of the more extreme enviroments and watch them try their tried and true methods of doing things.
I've never worked cows in the bayou country or the frozen north but I;ld guess that what works in one area would be an exercise in futility in the other.
It's one thing to be rough and gruff on someone, but to assume that you know how things should be done in a totally alien environement just smacks of being too full of oneself.

dun

Case IH":3qwg38sb said:
I thought about the tranq. how far can you shoot with one of them things?

Case,

A friend of mine has the rifle. 30 yards is well within range. Once you get her down, make sure you hobble her, or at least have a few ropes around her when she comes to. Once she realizes what is going on she will freak. I've seen people dart a cow, tie all fours and drag them back. Not sure if your terrain will allow that, but seems like your running out of options.

Seems like the cow has been running amuck out there in the woods a long time now.!
Maybe she's daid by now!
bif

Case IH":11b8fxvi said:
Caustic, find another post to rant on, I dont care how experienced of a cattleman you are. It's appearant you think you know what you are talking about and you are dead set about your ways, im glad for you. But if you dont have anything better to say than what was in your last post dont bother replying anymore, knowone wants to hear it. :oops:

Qiut whinning and go to work you have been full of it from the start of this thread.

Do you have access to a tranq. gun? Can you borrow one from a vet somewhere or another cattle owner? Go out at night with spotlights and try to tranq. her. To me that seems like your only quick method. Let us know what you decide.

Around here if you shot the cow and killed it and she was over 30 mos. of age the processor would not take it so you would have to butcher yourself unless you knew a shadetree one to do it there on the spot. To be honest I don't think our processors will even take in a dead cow unless it's been done in by a "certified" person. When we have one done the guy comes out and shoots it here and then field dresses it out and then takes it to the processing place.

As far as the tranq. gun thing, well I've just seen that done on Wild Kingdom and don't the animal usually run for a while after being shot? Seems to me if it did not go down right away it would head straight for the deepest, thickest, most hilly place it could find and would be a major PITA trying to get out to butcher or haul back to your place.

Don't know what to tell you other than I'm darn glad I take a bag of range cubes out to my cows at least once a week and if one gets out they will come running to me like puppy dogs when they hear the ATV and follow me back to where they need to be as they think it's treat time so I guess if I were you I'd put out a nice quality small square bale of hay or some range cubes and sweet feed and try and work the cow closer to your place a little at a time. I think someone already said to go ahead and build a small catch pen using panels and try putting the feed in it near the area the cow is being seen. Ya' might get lucky, guess it depends though on how hungry the cow gets.

Sorry, but that's all I can think of. Lots easier getting one back in around here due to fencing and not as bad a terrain.

Good luck,

J

I had a black angus cow that I bought, that I could NOT keep in she would jump any fence and tear up most any barn that we put her in. Last time she got out she got hit by a car. No one was hurt except the cow (dead). Insurance paid for the car and for her. Another example of buyer beware at the sale barn. ( My insurance paid for the car and the cow not theirs)
Havent had another pure black angus on the place since and we dont have any problems. But that one cow was a sale barn cow cant hold that against the angus breed, that was why she was at the sale CULL POOR TEMPRAMENT is my guess anyway.

Shoot her and deal with it, my advice for what its worth. Before she hurts someone or tears up something. JHH

I don't deal with exactly what you do but I do live on a river and the brush is super dense with sinkholes that look stable until you walk on them. We've had guys missing their cows ride over and when they look at the brush they have to ride through they give up and go home. I've always ridden a Welsh Pony bareback, one that is about the same size as a big cow so anywhere those cows go I can go too. ;-) It can be hard to find them though.
I'd like to know where she goes during the day. I've never seen a cow that hangs out all day in really dense brush, is there a clearing on the other side. Any neighbours on that side? If so you could talk to them about putting out some food for her and you chase her on your side. Worked for us once. Had some cows cross the river and wouldn't come back home so used a neighbours corral and took them straight to auction.
I've never had any experience tranquilizing so can't help you with that.
Good luck.

Ok guys, we caught the cow this morning finally. I will get into details later on when I get done running my erands, hope everybody has a great day!! :cboy:

D.R. Cattle":r1mgw8y5 said:
Shoot the dang thing and get it over with. 1100 lbs beef is better than a half dozen whitetails.

I'm a little late getting in on this but I think you should feed her.
Put a tub out at the edge of the woods, go put a couple of
gallons of sweet feed in it every evening.
After you can tell she is eating it have a "steak out"
sit in your truck 100 yards away with your headlights pointing at the feeder.
Every thirty minutes turn your lights on to see if she is there.
Once you see her she may freeze or she may bolt, either way
leave your lights on and she will eventually give you a shot.

Take it. Nobody needs a cow like that.

I know this works...It works on the "wild cows" mentioned in
DR cattle's post above.

Oh-no, I'm going back to jail again arn't I.

hillbilly

eatbeef":1jwlm4et said:
but no shortage of smart butt answers from people just waiting to show us how smart they are(n't) just weed out the jerks and listen to the level heads and you might pick up good info. ...oh yeah hi msscamp
Sounds like a good idea to me, eatbeef. I guess we will just start weeding out you and Case IH as two of the major smart asses on here.

But anyways, to those of you wondering how we finally caught the cow. Like I said during the day she beds down in the thick stuff and stays there. So this morning I decided we would give it another try and go in there and get her. I had one guy go in on a 4-wheeler, he finally found her and got her headed towards our property, I got over on our property where the gate is to the property line called some of our cows up there and gave them some corn so if the cow did come to the property line she would see the cows eating. Well beleive it or not she came all the way through the brush, I seen her coming, opened the gate and right out she went with the other cows in the pasture. I turned her into a smaller pasture with good fence with a few other cows she seemed pretty calmed down. But calm or not, she's not gonna be here long!! :lol:

la4angus":3pqqzh5g said:
eatbeef":3pqqzh5g said:
but no shortage of smart butt answers from people just waiting to show us how smart they are(n't) just weed out the jerks and listen to the level heads and you might pick up good info. ...oh yeah hi msscamp
Sounds like a good idea to me, eatbeef. I guess we will just start weeding out you and Case IH as two of the major smart asses on here.

Ah whats this a four wheeler a few post back you could only get to where this cow hid by helicopter. Friend on a four wheeler went in and got her. I hit the nail on the head you were to lazy to go get your own cow.

Case IH":m46ruw19 said:
But anyways, to those of you wondering how we finally caught the cow. Like I said during the day she beds down in the thick stuff and stays there. So this morning I decided we would give it another try and go in there and get her. I had one guy go in on a 4-wheeler, he finally found her and got her headed towards our property, I got over on our property where the gate is to the property line called some of our cows up there and gave them some corn so if the cow did come to the property line she would see the cows eating. Well beleive it or not she came all the way through the brush, I seen her coming, opened the gate and right out she went with the other cows in the pasture. I turned her into a smaller pasture with good fence with a few other cows she seemed pretty calmed down. But calm or not, she's not gonna be here long!! :lol:

This is one of your earlier post
Quote The cow has been out for 3-4 weeks, there is no such thing as going out there at night and just catching her, you cant get near her in a truck or 4 wheeler, horses dont have head lights so It would be hard to rope her, there is absolutly knowwhere to catch her barn, pen, etc.....it is an open field with woods behind it, deep woods that are up and down and thick as anything you have ever seen, its like that from where the cow is to my property line. End quote

So you lied in your original post about the bad terrain not accessable by four wheeler the cow being wild what else.

Case IH":2dtf72cr said:
I had one guy go in on a 4-wheeler, he finally found her and got her headed towards our property, I got over on our property where the gate is to the property line called some of our cows up there and gave them some corn so if the cow did come to the property line she would see the cows eating. Well beleive it or not she came all the way through the brush, I seen her coming, opened the gate and right out she went with the other cows in the pasture.
Aint it funny how easy it is to do something when you have someone that knows how to do it instead of sit back and whine. He got on the 4 wheeler, found her and got her headed to your property. Whoopie Dooo. You said it couldn't be done. Aint you an ace.

Latest posts