***What SHould I Do***

Help Support CattleToday:

Case IH

Reaction score
Ok, heres the dilema. We had a cow get out, she ended up about a half mile down the road, we tried and tried to catch the cow and get her back in, heres the thing appearantly she had been out for a while she was an angus cow and we have so many its hard to tell if one is gone, she only comes out at night you cant find her anywhere in the daytime. Let me remind you there is a Dairy Farm right across the road from where we see the cow at night, well this afternoon I am driving down the road and see a pen set up in the field where the cow comes out, turns out that the guy that owns the Dairy's son set up the pen. Well me and him have been friends for a while, actually we are cousins. I call him and ask him if he will let me know if he catches my cow? HIS RESPONSE: "no, if i catch her I'm loading her up and selling her." He said that I'm appearantly not worried about the cow and he is going to catch it. I am not happy at all, and was wondering what you guys thought I should do?

don't know about if any specific state laws in Virginia but:

1. She's your cow, you are responsible for keeping her "in". Your also responsible for her if she gets out any causes any damage. (A car hits her, she eats the neighbours daisys, etc.)

2. Your cousin cannot claim her as his cow because you are having a hard time catching her. That is cattle rustling, plain and simple. If he sells her, he is breaking the law.

3. I would contact someone good with a horse (horses) and catch this cow as soon as possible. Then sell her! You don't need the liability of a cow running around making enemies for you.

4. They make dart guns to sedate cows just like other animals, but be prepared to lift a lot of weight.

My 2 cents

Case IH why aren't you over there now trying to catch her. If you catch her first she is your cow ...right? Keep your cows in and you or your neighbors won't have a problem. If you have too many cows to notice one missing , you have too many cows for the effort you are able to put forth.

Case IH":32ac9d1q said:
Well me and him have been friends for a while, actually we are cousins. I call him and ask him if he will let me know if he catches my cow? HIS RESPONSE: "no, if i catch her I'm loading her up and selling her.
Sounds Like the Hatfields and MCCoys are fixin' to have a blow out.

How long is "for a while" ? How did you know she was out and how long after she had gotten loose did you find out? By any chance did you ask your cousin to help? Is the land she is on your cousin's?
I'm not 100% sure of this particular law in Va., but I do believe that after "so-much-time" (not sure how much) that a cow/bull has been loose on someone else's land, the land- owner has the right to capture and dispose of the animal. And, the rightful owner is responsible for any damage done as well as paying for upkeep of the animal (in cases where the land-owner provided for the animal until owner claimed it).
If I were you, at this point, I'd get on out there tonight(you say she only comes out at night) and do my best to catch that darn cow. Then I'd pen her up and ship her out on the next truck.
Good luck.

Katherine

I'm curious as to why you aren't counting your cattle at feeding time or muster time to make sure they are all there?

Go to your Friends or Cousins place whatever he is, and demand the Cow back. Has there been a problem with your Cattle getting out in the past? It should'nt take our opinions to figure this one out. Somebody aint' telling the whole story...

frenchie":etkf129x said:
If you can,t catch her..I,d shoot her and put her in the freezer

Reminds me of the story about my cousins emus that got out of the pen.After they stampeded his cattle, they went over the fence and stampeded two of his neighbors cattle. He could not catch them,so he finally got his trusty 30-30 and shot them.he lost his butt on that deal.It was funnier hearing him tell it. ;-) :D :cboy:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2siav659 said:
frenchie":2siav659 said:
If you can,t catch her..I,d shoot her and put her in the freezer

Reminds me of the story about my cousins emus that got out of the pen.After they stampeded his cattle, they went over the fence and stampeded two of his neighbors cattle. He could not catch them,so he finally got his trusty 30-30 and shot them.he lost his butt on that deal.It was funnier hearing him tell it. ;-) :D :cboy:

Is he married.. I can see him when he got home...If he is like me the conversation probably would start something like this..honey would you like to try something different tonight for supper.

WifeWhat have you done?

Not much I just...

Wife Just what?

liberated those birds..

wifeLiberated!!!

Well I

wife well you what!!!

Wanted to know If you had a real big roasting pan. :lol:

just out of curiosity how long has this cow been out and how many head do you have

Case IH":3g45voyf said:
msscamp, im curious as to how many head of cattle you have?

More than enough to keep me busy! :lol: That was the first thing I learned about raising cattle....the only way to know if they are all there is to count them - before they go to pasture, record the number, count them when feeding....if the count is short saddle the horse and find the ones that are missing.

The cow has been out for 3-4 weeks, there is no such thing as going out there at night and just catching her, you cant get near her in a truck or 4 wheeler, horses dont have head lights so It would be hard to rope her, there is absolutly knowwhere to catch her barn, pen, etc.....it is an open field with woods behind it, deep woods that are up and down and thick as anything you have ever seen, its like that from where the cow is to my property line. We have anywhere from 150-200 head of angus cattle at different times i do try to count them as accuratly as possible but appearantly mssncamp needs to help me out with my adding. I'm not a hobby farmer and making money off my cattle is definatly a big deal. I was asking for some help not to be jumped on......thats all.....

If I were you here is what I would do. Hire someone who wrangles cattle and might have some good cattle dogs. Set up a temporary catch pen and drive the cow into the pen then on a trailer and off to the sale barn. Woods or not a good wrangler will be able to get that cow in that pen for you in the daylight. He WILL find her. I know a guy here that does just that. ;-)

Case IH":3q8k0fn7 said:
Most of us on here, never really ask each other how many Acres you have or how many head of Cattle you have, at least not in the wide open forum. ;-) It's kind of like asking how someone voted, or what Denomination someone is.

Crowderfarms":1h7c8zoh said:
Case IH":1h7c8zoh said:
Most of us on here, never really ask each other how many Acres you have or how many head of Cattle you have, at least not in the wide open forum. ;-) It's kind of like asking how someone voted, or what Denomination someone is.

I think he felt Msscamp was "jumping on him", but she would be the last person to do that.

I like the dogs idea, and I would really give some consideration to a dart gun. By the time she wakes up, she would be on her way to a sale barn.

Case IH":1fmbxwcr said:
The cow has been out for 3-4 weeks, there is no such thing as going out there at night and just catching her, you cant get near her in a truck or 4 wheeler, horses dont have head lights so It would be hard to rope her, there is absolutly knowwhere to catch her barn, pen, etc.....it is an open field with woods behind it, deep woods that are up and down and thick as anything you have ever seen, its like that from where the cow is to my property line. We have anywhere from 150-200 head of angus cattle at different times i do try to count them as accuratly as possible but appearantly mssncamp needs to help me out with my adding. I'm not a hobby farmer and making money off my cattle is definatly a big deal. I was asking for some help not to be jumped on......thats all.....

I'm not 'jumping' on you, I just don't understand allowing a cow to wander for 3-4 weeks. And yes, I can understand the problem with deep woods as we ran cows in them for many, many years. That does not, however, absolve you of the responsibility of corralling your animal. As far as counting them goes, as I said before count them off the trailer, record it. Count them out of the gate, record it. Count them when they come in for feeding or for treats. Count is the only accurate method you have of knowing who is there and who isn't. Your post states you have 'between 150 and 200 head of cows", that leaves 50 head of cows unaccounted for - at an average of 1000/head (may be accurate, may not be) that's 50,000 dollars unaccounted for. I can't afford that. I have to know where my cows are.

Latest posts