What in the devil is the deal with egg and chicken prices these days?

Help Support CattleToday:

Eagles and hawks and other birds have been found with this disease. Could spreading of chicken litter on our pastures be a spreader of this disease.

No doubt the broiler houses represent big numbers if disease hits. But, I suspect the bigger risk for the disease spread is backyard and free range chickens that have higher risk of contact with migratory and other wild birds. Broiler houses are sealed up pretty good in regards to keeping outside birds from entering. Chicken companies have some protocols in place to slow the spread of disease. Like spraying down tires on the trucks entering/leaving each farm, foot baths for workers, protective clothing, and means to quickly depopulate (kill) a house if disease is detected.
And those chicken companies own the birds in the broiler houses. If they say no antibiotics then you can't use them.

Before retiring I did somethings for a big layer farm. They had 990,000 layers. If you worked in one of the houses you couldn't even eat lunch with a guy who worked in another house. Employees were not allowed to have any birds of their own at home. I was rarely allowed into any of the houses. When I did need to go inside it was a complete disposable suit from the toes to the top of the head. I did things for the broiler farms too. They always had me come a day after all the birds were shipped and they were cleaning the houses.

Eagles and hawks and other birds have been found with this disease. Could spreading of chicken litter on our pastures be a spreader of this disease.
I suspect that since the disease is spread originally by migratory birds, that maybe the hawks and eagles got a hold of infected wild birds for the most part.

There is a highly contagious chicken disease laryngotracheitis, commonly called LT. It is caused by a herpes virus and causes extreme respiratory distress and high mortality. Big financial losses for the chicken company and the affected grower. When there is a flareup of LT in an area, the chicken companies issue the "no litter to be spread" command. Do they have the legal authority for that? Not sure, but if the grower wants to continue to grow chickens, he will comply. LT is commonly spread by the growers not being meticulous about cleaning their boots and using the foot bath as they enter and exit a house. When you work in the chicken house, you gain about 1" of height. Biggest suspect location for the spread - the farm supply stores where all farmers must visit. Disease gets tracked out and tracked in.

I don't hardly eat chicken or any other bird for that matter. Flavorless and to lean for my taste.
I do eat ~ half dozen eggs a day. Always felt like they were to cheap.

You and me both, liked to died when that tick bit me and I had to eat it for a few years. Always gets people laughing when I tell them the only part of a chicken fit to eat is what it shoots out its butt.

Bird flu H5N1 has killed over 24 million chickens and turkeys in 24 states.
H5N1 virus is low risk to people with no human illness reported this time or in 2015 which was the last time it hit. About a month ago local grocery stores were out of eggs for 2-3 weeks.
All chicken feeds are through the roof just like cattle feed.

Eggs seemed to have doubled over night and chicken has shot up over 50% all the sudden.
Chicken and eggs are both really really tasty and though I believe it's a bit misleading are supposedly better for you than say Beef and Little Debbie snack cakes. People want to think they are eating healthy so will pay more. Also Natural gas has more than doubled in price in the last year. Gotta keep them chickens warm to grow or lay eggs. I also believe there's a thread in the Feeder section about feed prices being through the roof, contrary to popular belief store bought organic chicken and eggs don't survive on bugs and stuff they can rummage up alone.

Last edited:
Pretty much if it doesn't bleed I don't eat it. With the exception of eggs. Lol
You don't eat any vegetables? What about corn, green beans, asparagus, or potatoes? Sounds like you're on the Jordan Peterson diet, I like it!!! Do you take cold showers too? I'm trying to work into them but not having any luck.

You don't eat any vegetables? What about corn, green beans, asparagus, or potatoes? Sounds like you're on the Jordan Peterson diet, I like it!!! Do you take cold showers too? I'm trying to work into them but not having any luck.
Almost 2 years now
I don't eat potatoes, beets, fruit , pasta, rice etc because it keeps me off of pills to regulate high blood sugar. As long as I don't eat carbs or sugar. My blood sugar stays normal.
I did eat green leafy vegetables. Lettuce , cabbage etc. Until the heart surgery. ( I want to point out that was over a birth defect) vitamin k in green vegetables messes with the blood thinners. Over the next few months as they get the dosage dialed in I should be ok to eat salad again.
I eat high fat , about 70 percent of my calories come from fat. My cholesterol, blood pressure, sugar are near perfect.
I took pills for all that before I started eating this way, and I average about 40 pounds lighter.
Did gain 15 during my 3 months of recovery. Dealing with that now.
Ive got 2 cardiologist, 3 heart surgeon's who are fine with the way I eat. I also take no vitamin supplement. Doctors orders. Everything you need is in animal fat. And it's more available to your body.
It's very true when you eat this way you don't eat as much, you don't feel hungry and after you eat you feel like doing something instead of taking a nap.
Probably not for everyone, but works for me.

Almost 2 years now
I don't eat potatoes, beets, fruit , pasta, rice etc because it keeps me off of pills to regulate high blood sugar. As long as I don't eat carbs or sugar. My blood sugar stays normal.
I did eat green leafy vegetables. Lettuce , cabbage etc. Until the heart surgery. ( I want to point out that was over a birth defect) vitamin k in green vegetables messes with the blood thinners. Over the next few months as they get the dosage dialed in I should be ok to eat salad again.
I eat high fat , about 70 percent of my calories come from fat. My cholesterol, blood pressure, sugar are near perfect.
I took pills for all that before I started eating this way, and I average about 40 pounds lighter.
Ive got 2 cardiologist, 3 heart surgeon's who are fine with the way I eat. I also take no vitamin supplement. Doctors orders. Everything you need is in animal fat. And it's more available to your body.
It's very true when you eat this way you don't eat as much, you don't feel hungry and after you eat you feel like doing something instead of taking a nap.
I have done some research on the diet and everything you say is what people claim happened for them too. They do claim the weight loss comes mainly from just not eating as much because who wants to just eat beef all the time. I really need to change the way I eat but definitely don't think this diet would go along with our current schedule. It is interesting that you were eating vegetables before the heart issues though. Do you use any spices or sauce on your food? How about drinks, anything other than water? Also do you eat bacon with your eggs, how about any fruit?

Last edited:
Wait, are you telling me that an Oatmeal cream pie and Swiss Roll isn't a balanced meal?
I've got a crazy schedule so couple those snacks with a box of pringles and a water or few beers and it's all that keeps me alive some days😝. Working rotating 12s has got to be the worst thing a person can ever put themselves through. I did manage to eat fairly well for a few years but my gosh it was hard.

I have done some research on the diet and everything you say is what people claim happened for them too. They do claim the weight loss comes mainly from just not eating as much because who wants to just eat beef all the time. I really need to change the way I eat but definitely don't think this diet would go along with our current schedule. It is interesting that you were eating vegetables before the heart issues though. Do you use any spices or sauce on your food? How about drinks, anything other than water? Also do you eat bacon with your eggs, how about any fruit?
Bacon , sausage or ham with eggs. We raise our pork and beef . My sausage is just ground pork so no sugar. Salt and pepper is about the only spice I use at home. Eating out ..two double cheese burger s throw away the bread. A steak if at a nice restaurant. No fruit there's nothing good about fruit might as well eat candy. I drink water, carbonated water, and coffee with butter.

I'm a believer in what you eat can greatly affect your health. I have high blood pressure and Ménière's disease, both of which sodium affects, so I don't add salt to anything and try to watch labels and eat low or now sodium foods. I limit the amount of sweets I eat too. I make up the difference with fruit. I hope that my blood sugar doesn't mess up I would hate to not be able to eat fruit and potatoes.
I like meat and don't really feel full unless I have some meat with a meal, unless I eat a lot more than usual and still it doesn't stay with you like meats will.
I've also had colitis and have now been eating gluten free for a while. It does seem like that has made a difference too,
Like callmefence says when I get a hamburger out somewhere, eat the burger and save the bun for the dogs or chickens.
I've noticed over the years, that when I have eaten out at fast foods or eaten a lot of processed foods that it doesn't agree with me and causes issues. I feel much better all around to eat more fresh or unprocessed food.

Last edited:
I'm a believer in what you eat can greatly affect your health. I have high blood pressure and Ménière's disease, both of which sodium affects, so I don't add salt to anything and try to watch labels and eat low or now sodium foods. I limit the amount of sweets I eat too. I make up the difference with fruit. I hope that my blood sugar doesn't mess up I would hate to not be able to eat fruit and potatoes.
I like meat and don't really feel full unless I have some meat with a meal, unless I eat a lot more than usual and still it doesn't stay with you like meats will.
I've also had colitis and have now been eating gluten free for a while. It does seem like that has made a difference too,
Like callmefence says when I get a hamburger out somewhere, eat the burger and save the bun for the dogs or chickens.
I've noticed over the years, that when I have eaten out at fast foods or eaten a lot of processed foods that it doesn't agree with me and causes issues. I feel much better all around to eat more fresh or unprocessed food.
Yes I believe that if you don't feel good and energetic after a meal you should take a look at what your eating.
I eat a lot of added salt. Used to have high pressure, cutting salt did nothing for it. Cutting carbs did.
Carbs, fruit, Honey, etc has the same effect on your body as granulated sugar.

Take a baked potato. Not many people eat just the potato. They add butter, cheese, sour cream, bacon etc to make it edible. I throw away the stinking potato and eat the butter,cheese,sour cream and bacon..lol

Almost 2 years now
Were these doctors skeptics and you had to prove them wrong or did they already understand that the "diet heart hypothesis" was bunk? My dad had to educate his doctor.

Yes I believe that if you don't feel good and energetic after a meal you should take a look at what your eating.
I eat a lot of added salt. Used to have high pressure, cutting salt did nothing for it. Cutting carbs did.
Carbs, fruit, Honey, etc has the same effect on your body as granulated sugar.

Take a baked potato. Not many people eat just the potato. They add butter, cheese, sour cream, bacon etc to make it edible. I throw away the stinking potato and eat the butter,cheese,sour cream and bacon..lol
That is good that salt isn't a problem for you, makes eating a lot simpler.
Salt really messes with my Ménière's disease which is fluid in the inner ears, so when I eat a potato it's unsalted butter, and pepper, on a rare occasion maybe a spoon of sour cream.
By the way did I read that right that you put butter in your coffee? Your a better man than me if can do that.😂. I can't even hack butter on bread or a bun with a hamburger or steak sandwich.

Were these doctors skeptics and you had to prove them wrong or did they already understand that the "diet heart hypothesis" was bunk? My dad had to educate his doctor.
No they really didn't seem concerned about it. Had a if it works for you do it attitude. I asked the lead surgeon who I liked alot. Native Texan that didn't mince words about anything. Nurses scurried and hid when he came around. I asked him about the fat good carbs bad deal.
His answer was " we really don't know" but we've been doing something wrong.
Referring to the amount of 40 - 50 year olds with bp, diabetes and heart issues.
He said if you don't have to take a bunch of pills because your blood work gets right when you stop eating plants. Stop eating plants.