What in the devil is the deal with egg and chicken prices these days?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bird flu H5N1 has killed over 24 million chickens and turkeys in 24 states.
H5N1 virus is low risk to people with no human illness reported this time or in 2015 which was the last time it hit. About a month ago local grocery stores were out of eggs for 2-3 weeks.

Bird flu H5N1 has killed over 24 million chickens and turkeys in 24 states.
H5N1 virus is low risk to people with no human illness reported this time or in 2015 which was the last time it hit. About a month ago local grocery stores were out of eggs for 2-3 weeks.
I think it is in more than 24 states to. A USDA inspector I know says that more chickens have been put down than you can imagine.

We keep some laying hens, most time have way more eggs than we can use so sell some to offset the layer feed cost. We haven't raised our egg prices.
Got a group of replacement pullet chicks coming in a couple weeks.

We keep some laying hens, most time have way more eggs than we can use so sell some to offset the layer feed cost. We haven't raised our egg prices.
Got a group of replacement pullet chicks coming in a couple weeks.
People living in apartments don't have the option of raising their own livestock and crops. I just ordered some frozen chicken thighs from my local Walmart. They are about the same price as the Walmart frozen skinless chicken breast USED to be not long ago at about $2.12 a pound. Walmart frozen skinless chicken breast is now $3.50 a pound frozen. I have been buying generic Walmart large eggs for years at about $1.75 per 18 count. Now that same 18-count carton has jumped up to $3.99. I've noticed my Walmart generic lean ground ground beef has come down slightly per pound and my deli ham is about the same per pound. Milk prices are still stable.

Chicken and eggs used to be such a budget product for animal proteins. Some speculate that certain "food shortages" and their subsequent price hikes are pure bunk. Can't farmers and ranchers safeguard their own livestock from infectious diseases, for Christ sake!

People living in apartments don't have the option of raising their own livestock and crops. I just ordered some frozen chicken thighs from my local Walmart. They are about the same price as the Walmart frozen skinless chicken breast USED to be not long ago at about $2.12 a pound. Walmart frozen skinless chicken breast is now $3.50 a pound frozen. I have been buying generic Walmart large eggs for years at about $1.75 per 18 count. Now that same 18-count carton has jumped up to $3.99. I've noticed my Walmart generic lean ground ground beef has come down slightly per pound and my deli ham is about the same per pound. Milk prices are still stable.

Chicken and eggs used to be such a budget product for animal proteins. Some speculate that certain "food shortages" and their subsequent price hikes are pure bunk. Can't farmers and ranchers safeguard their own livestock from infectious diseases, for Christ sake!
In regard to farmers and ranchers safeguarding their livestock from infectious diseases, we try to do what we can, and a lot of things are prevented. Think about it this way, humans are not able to safeguard against Covid and other illnesses, how do you expect anyone to totally protect livestock from all diseases?

If you look at these modern broiler houses disease can spread mighty fast. This is what happens when 3.5 country folks have to feed 96.5 city dwellers.

You aint seen nothing yet. $5 a gallon gas is just bunk too. Your right, we sit around at night hoping our herds and flocks get infected so we can lose all the money we have invested instead just the little bit we usually have to make up between what it costs and what the spoiled American public buys it for. 🤬

If you look at these modern broiler houses disease can spread mighty fast.
A good friend of mine has several houses. I asked him about the disease a couple of weeks ago. He said that only his authorized employees are allowed in the houses, and he also has tubs of disinfectant at the doors that have to be stepped in coming in and leaving each house so that nothing is carried in on their boots. So far he has been disease free.

Sounds like things are going to get rough for you apartment dwellers.

People living in apartments don't have the option of raising their own livestock and crops.
Get a pot belly pig for the apartment. They are small and can be litter box trained like a cat. When the time is right, process in the bath tub and put the junk in the apartment complex dumpster. Apartment dwellers probably don't have room in the freezer for those big ole free range hogs anyway. :) Will need a ring in the nose if he starts rooting the floor and cabinets, though.
Flower pots on the patio or balcony will produce some tomatoes, potatoes, strawberries, blueberries, patio squash. Lot's of possibilities.

I don't hardly eat chicken or any other bird for that matter. Flavorless and to lean for my taste.
I do eat ~ half dozen eggs a day. Always felt like they were to cheap.
Are you still on your low carb diet? One time you recommended a carnivore diet or had recently tried it yourself?

Get a pot belly pig for the apartment. They are small and can be litter box trained like a cat. When the time is right, process in the bath tub and put the junk in the apartment complex dumpster. Apartment dwellers probably don't have room in the freezer for those big ole free range hogs anyway. :) Will need a ring in the nose if he starts rooting the floor and cabinets, though.
Flower pots on the patio or balcony will produce some tomatoes, potatoes, strawberries, blueberries, patio squash. Lot's of possibilities.
Jeffry Dahmer was able to do some processing in his apartment. If he can do it surely we can.

If you look at these modern broiler houses disease can spread mighty fast. This is what happens when 3.5 country folks have to feed 96.5 city dwellers.
No doubt the broiler houses represent big numbers if disease hits. But, I suspect the bigger risk for the disease spread is backyard and free range chickens that have higher risk of contact with migratory and other wild birds. Broiler houses are sealed up pretty good in regards to keeping outside birds from entering. Chicken companies have some protocols in place to slow the spread of disease. Like spraying down tires on the trucks entering/leaving each farm, foot baths for workers, protective clothing, and means to quickly depopulate (kill) a house if disease is detected.

Latest posts