What do you do with your cull cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

I wo

I would take my 60 cents and invest it in something more appealing.
Would he not make good hamburger? I could easily retail that for $5 per pound. That would be $4,000 compared to maybe $1,200 at the barn. That said, I want the buyers to be happy with the meat.

Not sure on OLD bulls, but I think a cow in good condition at any age is going to be great hamburg. The few cows we butchered were different ages, but in good BCS (like 5.5 to 6.5). We even pulled the loins and they were great.
I don't cull cows on "first strike". They are way too valuable to replace. Their offspring more than pays the cows' upkeep for a few years. So, my killer culls are poor breeders with multiple screw ups, bad feet (uggh yes, even I get some bad feet even tho that is like #1 priority), or a young one with bad temperament.
Sounds like several of you don't think aged cows will make good hamburg? are you indicating that because they are usually in poor condition?
I was wondering if there were any other cuts you salvage out of a cow carcass? I think I have also gotten the brisket. Would short ribs be good?

Mine go to saleyards, used to get crap money but last two i sent averaged $1800 each. Got me looking real hard at the rest of the cows just waiting for them to do something wrong. Of course they are all on their best behaviour spitting out calves and breeding back on time!
A bit of pressure on them keeps them honest.
Ken

Would he not make good hamburger? I could easily retail that for $5 per pound. That would be $4,000 compared to maybe $1,200 at the barn. That said, I want the buyers to be happy with the meat.
I didn't see in your original post that you were planning on grinding the whole animal. I'm sure he'd be fine for that, although I can't claim to have first hand experience with it.

A lot of custom processors cannot handle a mature bull due to carcass weight and length. But, if they can, send an overfat steer with it so they can use the extra fat to grind into the bull burger.
The pack mixes 3 different kinds to make burger. Cull cows, bulls, fat from fat cattle.

You are right, custom guys simply can't do that.

We have processed a couple bulls, for varies reasons normally injury. Made 90% lean hamburger out if them and sold it. It was very good eating and customers who bought some came back for more. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Yearly trend around here. If you've got the grass, October to December is the best time to buy young thin cows. Folks short on hay and grass aren't in the market and those not interested with overwintering cows are out too. Week or two before Christmas you'll usually get them $100 a head cheaper than October.
Packers don't want to hold them?

Got rid of 3 cull cows this year. One went to the sale, would not gain weight for anything, young 5 yo cow.
This summer, sold a charolais cross cow that lost her calf to a couple of friends for $800. They absolutely LOVE the meat.
The last, brangus cow, raised the biggest calf, but prolapsed back in January. She's in my freezer. Nice and lean and flavorful.

Do any of you grain your cull cows before butchering or just butcher straight off of grass?
Me personally I butcher right off the grass as I'm in the process of getting grass fed certified. I'm sure others who are much smarter than me, do things different. I know some folks will pull off grass and then feed grain for 30 days before butchering to get more marbling. So it's really preference and what your goal is.

I usually send mine to the auction barn, but I recently had a 3-year old 1/16 Longhorn that was colored up like she was full Longhorn.

I didn't like the looks of her bag, and knew the buyers at the auction barn would take one look at those spots and give next to nothing for her, so I had her butchered. I had him save the backstrap for steaks, along with a few roasts, and ground up the rest.

How would a 8 year old Angus bull be to eat? He has been a dandy.

He would bring very little at the barn, maybe 60 cents per pound
Throw him on corn for a couple months for flavor, 1% bw per day with hay and mineral.

Keep the tenderloin and ribeyes, keep the chuck, and grind the rest.

That's what I would do. Would be a shame to send off for 60 cents per pound.

Latest posts