What should we ask for deposits for beef?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
In the past we haven't asked for deposits, but have had a couple people back out at the last minute, causing us to scramble to find new customers.
Generally, it's not a problem as we have dependable repeat customers, but it has happened a couple times.
Since we have had quite a bit of interest and several new customers we want to try to eliminate that issue.
Is there a customary percentage deposit that y'all ask for.

In the past we haven't asked for deposits, but have had a couple people back out at the last minute, causing us to scramble to find new customers.
Generally, it's not a problem as we have dependable repeat customers, but it has happened a couple times.
Since we have had quite a bit of interest and several new customers we want to try to eliminate that issue.
Is there a customary percentage deposit that y'all ask for.
What I have run into lots of people like the idea of having one processed.
They don't have the money to buy the animal and pay for the processing.
The only thing they own is a note.

I have never lived like that and can't imagine!
But when your parents wer born in 1914 and lived through the depression your upbringing is very conservative to say the least.

What I have run into lots of people like the idea of having one processed.
They don't have the money to buy the animal and pay for the processing.
The only thing they own is a note.

I have never lived like that and can't imagine!
But when your parents wer born in 1914 and lived through the depression your upbringing is very conservative to say the least.
Yes, we upfront try to make them aware of what the cost will be within an estimated range. Even so we've still had a few be surprised, but we haven't lost out yet. So far family and family friends are the only ones we've had back out.
It is a lot of money, but cheaper in the long run. We definitely would not be buying from the grocery as much meat as we eat from our beef.
My father was born in 1925, and his parents in 1894, and 1903, I came along late in my parents life, but 3 of my grandparents were living still. I definitely had a different upbringing than most of my contemporary peers.

Yes, we upfront try to make them aware of what the cost will be within an estimated range. Even so we've still had a few be surprised, but we haven't lost out yet. So far family and family friends are the only ones we've had back out.
It is a lot of money, but cheaper in the long run. We definitely would not be buying from the grocery as much meat as we eat from our beef.
My father was born in 1925, and his parents in 1894, and 1903, I came along late in my parents life, but 3 of my grandparents were living still. I definitely had a different upbringing than most of my contemporary peers.
My grandparents were born in the 1870's and 80's.
My grandma that lived till 1966 never believed we put people in space, that was a Hollywood movie.

Good discussion and something I have been wondering about since I have had several people asking me to start selling halves and whatnot. I was wondering the same thing about how much to charge for a deposit.

No way would I do it without a deposit and hate to say it but family is definitely getting charged a deposit. For the same reasons I don't loan money to family (or anyone for that matter), guess who it getting stiffed when they can't pay their bills? You, because you can't turn their electric or water off or come repo their car. You're family so "you understand."

Last time I loaned out money to a family member they didn't pay me back when they said. THEN they started texted me pictures of all this useless fun stuff they were buying. Needless to say I came a little bit unglued. Never again.

Sorry for the rant but the family and friends thing gets me riled up sometimes. Lol. I have already told the several family members up front that if i start selling beef their will be a non-refundable deposit.

I foolishly don't require a deposit, but I know just 1 FB note and we would have it sold.
A few months ago I advertised 3 steer on our local FB page and they sold in 45 minutes halves and quarters. People were wanting to come over that night at 8pm to give a deposit just so they wouldn't miss out!

My grandparents were born in the 1870's and 80's.
My grandma that lived till 1966 never believed we put people in space, that was a Hollywood movie.
Umm... @Caustic Burno, I'm not sure if that was meant to be funny, a type "o", or 'let's see if anyone catches it'. The reason I'm saying that is we didn't put anyone on the moon until 1969. You said she died in 1966? That means that technically she was correct, for her time.

I foolishly don't require a deposit, but I know just 1 FB note and we would have it sold.
I wouldn't call it completely foolish. Requiring a deposit 'could' prevent a sale. There is merit to both requiring a deposit and not requiring a deposit.

You could do something like require a deposit for first time customers and waive the deposit requirement for repeat customers.

Umm... @Caustic Burno, I'm not sure if that was meant to be funny, a type "o", or 'let's see if anyone catches it'. The reason I'm saying that is we didn't put anyone on the moon until 1969. You said she died in 1966? That means that technically she was correct, for her time.
The first person reached space in 1961 , a Russian. Not the moon.

Good discussion and something I have been wondering about since I have had several people asking me to start selling halves and whatnot. I was wondering the same thing about how much to charge for a deposit.

No way would I do it without a deposit and hate to say it but family is definitely getting charged a deposit. For the same reasons I don't loan money to family (or anyone for that matter), guess who it getting stiffed when they can't pay their bills? You, because you can't turn their electric or water off or come repo their car. You're family so "you understand."

Last time I loaned out money to a family member they didn't pay me back when they said. THEN they started texted me pictures of all this useless fun stuff they were buying. Needless to say I came a little bit unglued. Never again.

Sorry for the rant but the family and friends thing gets me riled up sometimes. Lol. I have already told the several family members up front that if i start selling beef their will be a non-refundable deposit.

Geez Chad, you ever proof read what you type? 🙄

I said space not the moon read real slow.
We put Shephard in space in 1961 in Mercury then came Gemini followed by Apollo before going to the moon.