$45. kill $55. kill
.48 / lb process .57/ lb process
cube steaks .35/lb extra extra stew meat 40 lbs @ .35/lb
Short loin 14.00 Short loin 14.00
Vacuum seal .10/lb. Steaks in single packs 20.00
vacuum seal .10/lb.

This was hanging 590.5 lbs. This was hanging 467 lbs
Total cost was 403.79 Total cost 416.40

This is local, not USDA, but he does a nice job and is only 5 miles +/- away. Take in on Sunday aft or early Mon morning. Still booked up a year or more in advance. Have dates for 2 in June; 1 in July, 1 in Aug and 1 in Sept. Son had 1 done this month (nov) and has 2 in Dec and might not be able to get the same dates next year. Know of 2 others that are only backed up 2-3 months now so may wind up switching if we can't get the fall dates since that is when the people want the meat it seems....

We are looking at $60 kill and .60 lb processing and our usual place $40 kill .72 lb processing. Both prices are significantly higher than 1 year ago and definitely more than two years ago. Last year kill fees were $20 or less. And processing .50 or less

We are looking at $60 kill and .60 lb processing and our usual place $40 kill .72 lb processing. Both prices are significantly higher than 1 year ago and definitely more than two years ago. Last year kill fees were $20 or less. And processing .50 or less
Was fortunate to make an appointment this past week for the end of January our usual place said late February

Dang-I'd love those kill fees. Cut rates are great too. Wonder why so much regional difference? Do you have plenty of facilities in the area so they fight for business or just a few that can control the bottom end of the price range?

The one that surprised me was when they tossed teh hide in my tractor bucket. I was saving the cost of a disposal fee. I expected the guts, head, legs, etc. When they tossed the hide in I questioned them. They said they had to pay to have the hide hauled off. This is obviously farm slaughter which is the most common method in Oregon and Washington. Obvouly isn't for USDA inspected.

Picked up one today to deliver, not USDA inspected. No special orders like hot dogs ect. just a regular basic custom processing job, paper wrapped, hamburger in 1 lb plastic tubes, from the lowest priced butcher out of the 3 that we use.
765 lb hanging weight (9 day hang) total bill $611.20 which comes to almost exactly 80 cents lb

$50 dispatch fee. $0.70 per hanging pound. Custom place.

There is a USDA place in Tazewell, prices are the same as my custom place. Don't know about their booked upness.

I'm about to start booking some with OverHome for late Spring.

How does $3.25 a pound for packaged beef sound? Calf fed out for 180 days and custom cut to suit you. I've taken one to the butcher once but never picked one out and had it butchered before so not sure if $3.25 is good price or not.

How does $3.25 a pound for packaged beef sound? Calf fed out for 180 days and custom cut to suit you. I've taken one to the butcher once but never picked one out and had it butchered before so not sure if $3.25 is good price or not.
Is this someone else's steer that you have picked out to buy and you pay processing as well as the purchase price all included in one price?

From one of the local places where you pick one out "in the pasture"
....................................................................................................................whole....................1/2...............1/4.......
Price per pound (hanging weight)$5.00/lb$5.25/lb$5.50/lb
Sample prices based on 500 lb. hanging weight$2,500$1,312.50$687.50

"Your take-home price is for all your cuts, including steaks, roasts, ground beef, short ribs, and so forth. There are no additional fees for processing or sales taxes.
Look over the possible cuts on the processing instruction form on our website."

Whatever that is worth.......
Tyler's in Crockett Tx. I don't know anything else about them.

Last edited:
Is this someone else's steer that you have picked out to buy and you pay processing as well as the purchase price all included in one price?
I know a guy has a pretty big ranch and his own butcher shop. All you do is tell him what you want and he'll butcher one for you. He provides the steer and the butchering for $3.25 a pound packaged weight. That was last years price, I sent him a mssg earlier for this years price but haven't heard back yet. He does hogs also.

There's another local guy that lets you pick one out that weighs around 700#. At this point you pay the feed bill to get it to the weight you want. From there he weighs it and charges you the avg price OKC is selling for that week. He carrys it to the butcher for you and you pick it up and pay processing cost. I'm not sure how this would work out cost wise though. I was told he sold around 60 hd last year and is sold out this year.

I've only ever had one steer butchered ,he had a bad foot so we fed him out to around 875#. That's been 10 yrs ago so I'm out of the loop on cost.

He provides the steer and the butchering for $3.25 a pound packaged weight.
That's just 1.78-1.88 lb hanging weight and A Good Deal!
1200 lb steer x 62.5% = 750 lb hanging weight x 70% = 525 lbs take home
3.25 x 525 lbs = $1706 total
750 lbs x 50 cents lb processing = $375
750 lbs x 40 cents = 300
1706 - 375 = $1331 divided by 750 lbs = $1.78 lb hanging height
1706 - 300 = 1406 = 1.88 lb h.w.

Last edited:
That's just 1.78-1.88 lb hanging weight and A Good Deal!
1200 lb steer x 62.5% = 750 lb hanging weight x 70% = 525 lbs take home
3.25 x 525 lbs = $1706 total
750 lbs x 50 cents lb processing = $375
750 lbs x 40 cents = 300
1706 - 375 = $1331 divided by 750 lbs = $1.78 lb hanging height
1706 - 300 = 1406 = 1.88 lb h.w.

That's a ridiculously cheap deal. Go check out the meat section of a grocery store and tell me how much beef you can buy for under $5/lb. It's not much unless it's on sale because it's expiration/freeze by date is that day or the next. Since that was last year's price I'm going to guess this year it's more.

I just picked up a couple from the butcher today. $80 slaughter each, 75¢ / lb cut and wrap
One steer hung at 784, the other at 742 so they did good for never seeing a bucket of grain.

Latest posts