Need help with stupid cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Down in Dixie

Reaction score
Ok here is what I have. 2 year 4 month old cow with 2 1/2 month calf on her side. Bought her and a few other heifers when they were weaned. The longer I had her the more her crazy showed. I was going to keep her separated and feed her out but she had other plans. Ended up jumping the fence twice on me. Well she ended up with the bull so I let her have the calf. She has since been in my feed lot since she had the calf with 6 feeder steers but only getting about 7 lbs of feed a day with grass and hay. She has now jumped the fence again and is back with the main herd. I can possibly get her to a processor this week if she will go on a trailer. The problem is she is only 800 lbs and 3/4 Wagyu so she isn't pretty looking by no means and scared I will lose my butt at the sale barn. The feed she is on is a 10% bull creep feed with cotton seed mill added to it so nothing close to a finishing ration. Will she be worth taking to the processor or will I be disappointed with the end product. Just want her crazy ass gone.

Ok here is what I have. 2 year 4 month old cow with 2 1/2 month calf on her side. Bought her and a few other heifers when they were weaned. The longer I had her the more her crazy showed. I was going to keep her separated and feed her out but she had other plans. Ended up jumping the fence twice on me. Well she ended up with the bull so I let her have the calf. She has since been in my feed lot since she had the calf with 6 feeder steers but only getting about 7 lbs of feed a day with grass and hay. She has now jumped the fence again and is back with the main herd. I can possibly get her to a processor this week if she will go on a trailer. The problem is she is only 800 lbs and 3/4 Wagyu so she isn't pretty looking by no means and scared I will lose my butt at the sale barn. The feed she is on is a 10% bull creep feed with cotton seed mill added to it so nothing close to a finishing ration. Will she be worth taking to the processor or will I be disappointed with the end product. Just want her crazy ass gone.
Baby beef is fine to eat. Smaller cuts, which I actually prefer. I think you're worried about nothing as far as the meat quality. Get her gone...

Get her in a building or raise your corral fence?

Baby beef is fine to eat. Smaller cuts, which I actually prefer. I think you're worried about nothing as far as the meat quality. Get her gone...

Get her in a building or raise your corral fence?
Corral fence is 5ft which she jumped pretty easy. I will probably raise it to 6. Hope to run her onto the trailer in the morning and give the processor a call. Hope they still have an opening for tomorrow like they were advertising.

the locker where I take my beef claims that docile cattle are the main factor that determines the tenderness of the steaks (meat). If you want a lot of hamburger, she will be fine. even a tough piece of meat can make a great meal if prepared right. If you don't process her, you will never know. good luck with her.

the locker where I take my beef claims that docile cattle are the main factor that determines the tenderness of the steaks (meat). If you want a lot of hamburger, she will be fine. even a tough piece of meat can make a great meal if prepared right. If you don't process her, you will never know. good luck with her.
Red cutter does scare me some. I do like and cull for docile cattle. Getting her on the trailer is going to be the big struggle. Won't have help till Tuesday afternoon so it will be fun by myself tomorrow. Can't wait to get her on my plate. Told my wife last year once we get her processed I will burn the first steak from her because that's what she deserves.

Red cutter does scare me some. I do like and cull for docile cattle. Getting her on the trailer is going to be the big struggle. Won't have help till Tuesday afternoon so it will be fun by myself tomorrow. Can't wait to get her on my plate. Told my wife last year once we get her processed I will burn the first steak from her because that's what she deserves.
I had a crazy b of a heifer I butchered last year. Her meat was dark but tender. I have savored every bite. In this case, revenge is best served hot.

Can you get anyone in your area to kill her on your property and then take to your processor? It would prevent all the stress hormones and adrenaline caused by chasing her around and riding in the trailer.
We don't have anyone to do that around here. Closest processor is about an hour away and they are booked. Closest with an available date is two hours away and I can drop her off Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning. There is no good way to do this and I'm gambling the outcome. Still beats taking a loss with her at a sale barn.

Just for future reference, cattle do not like to be separated and kept alone. They are herd animals. You set her up for failure. That has nothing to with being docile or not. Once she learned to jump fence, it was all over from there. That makes her spoiled, not necessarily crazy.

Get her and her calf gone one way or another before she teaches the rest of the cattle that trick.

Maybe load her up with a buddy, but the buddy gets to come back home.
That is why every one should have a sort gate toward the end of their chute. Take as many as you need down the chute until you get to the problem. At that point they are going one way ore another.

The days of having a ranch butcher come out on an emergency basis are over. The last few emergency butcherings we have done ourselves. A good stun and bleed is important.
We still have a local (ten minutes away) on the farm butcher that does emergencies. It's really hard to get them through, a lot of people have abused the emergency part. I have finally got them convinced that if I call with an emergency it's an emergency and it's a beef worth butchering.

I have a sort gate but you have to get her to that point first. She is separated off with about 15 yearlings right now. Her calf sorted himself back to the feeder steers. Fed the yearlings and she went nuts again but didn't jump the fence. Not halving the calf by her side doesn't help either. I will try and sort him in the morning when is cooler and calm her down some.

Yep. Take all the feeder steers to the pens. Use her calf to lure her in.
Did that last week and she cleared the wall in my pen. Went to go get her back around and she cleared two more fences. I was ready to shoot her then. Lured back into the feeder lot with her calf and that lasted about 12 hours and she jumped the fence while I was out cutting hay. She will bolt no matter if there is other animals or not. She loves to go the complete other way you want her to. Can't wait to see what fence she tore up in the morning. I will glad to see her gone. Going to be even better on my plate.

Did that last week and she cleared the wall in my pen. Went to go get her back around and she cleared two more fences. I was ready to shoot her then. Lured back into the feeder lot with her calf and that lasted about 12 hours and she jumped the fence while I was out cutting hay. She will bolt no matter if there is other animals or not. She loves to go the complete other way you want her to. Can't wait to see what fence she tore up in the morning. I will glad to see her gone. Going to be even better on my plate.
If nothing else, and you have a bucket on your tractor, a 22, and a meat grinder, you can wait until the weather cools and turn her into hamburger on the farm.

Latest posts