Ideal Cow Condition for all ground beef.

Help Support CattleToday:

I pay .85 carcass lb plus 70 kill. Might as well be 1.00. Old School House Custom Meat Cutters in Morristown. Top notch shop.

Where ya going there buddy?
McCoy Meats in Rogersville. He lives in Hamblen County next to me (but I don't think I got any special rate). Tell him I recommended him. I do know he has a list that if he has an opening he will pick up the phone if you keep some ready to go.

How much is "Over Home" processing charging?

McCoy Meats in Rogersville. He lives in Hamblen County next to me (but I don't think I got any special rate). Tell him I recommended him. I do know he has a list that if he has an opening he will pick up the phone if you keep some ready to go.

How much is "Over Home" processing charging?
I want to think it's around 65 or 75 cents per lb. Not sure what the kill bill is now. I suspect 65 or 75.

Has anyone used them since the new owners took over? They've cleaned it up a lot to what I hear. Cameras covering the whole facility now. No more meat swapping. They also fired all the drug heads.

My good friend, Terry Greene, uses McCoy often. They're buddies I think. Lots of people in my community use him actually. Seems he's nothing but good business.

I want to think it's around 65 or 75 cents per lb. Not sure what the kill bill is now. I suspect 65 or 75.

Has anyone used them since the new owners took over? They've cleaned it up a lot to what I hear. Cameras covering the whole facility now. No more meat swapping. They also fired all the drug heads.

My good friend, Terry Greene, uses McCoy often. They're buddies I think. Lots of people in my community use him actually. Seems he's nothing but good business.
I took 3 to Overhome Thursday morning, not for me but for friends. I was very impressed with the lady that was in the office. The facility looked clean and better than when the previous group was there. Within a couple hours the owners of the steers received a call telling them what their live weights were. They liked that. I definitely will consider them when I need one killed.

That would increase take home yield I'm sure would it not?
A lb is a lb the world around, whether it's fat or muscle, but the difference is density. Muscle is more dense by about 20% compared to fat, so per any given volume, when you increase the amount of fat in a standard size package, you simply increase the total volume you get. IOW, more packages. You're using fat in the burger that might otherwise be trim waste.

Okay I have a question for all those that are selling cuts of meat versus whole or halves. Are you using a custom butcher or going going to a USDA inspected plant?

As for selling just hamburger, I have thought about this as well but can't pencil it out, but for us hamburger sells out quick, followed by roasts then steaks. With prices up across the nation on just about everything, consumers are price conscious. We tried a small unofficial test last year(2022). We advertised hamburger at $4 and then advertised in a different area at $6. We sold out of the cheaper priced hamburger and the higher priced stuff sat for a long time. Eventually dropped it to $4 and then it went. So for now we collect the best roasts, and steaks and grind the rest. But if I could pencil out whole cows going into all burger a few times a year I definitely would.

2nd problem in my area is in the last three years it seems that every person that raises cows, chickens, or pigs have gone into selling their product, so prices are all over the board and higher priced stuff unless being shipped sits a long time.

Curious if anyone on here ships and what they are seeing?

I took 3 to Overhome Thursday morning, not for me but for friends. I was very impressed with the lady that was in the office. The facility looked clean and better than when the previous group was there. Within a couple hours the owners of the steers received a call telling them what their live weights were. They liked that. I definitely will consider them when I need one killed.
When are you home long enough to need a full freezer.?

Okay I have a question for all those that are selling cuts of meat versus whole or halves. Are you using a custom butcher or going going to a USDA inspected plant?

As for selling just hamburger, I have thought about this as well but can't pencil it out, but for us hamburger sells out quick, followed by roasts then steaks. With prices up across the nation on just about everything, consumers are price conscious. We tried a small unofficial test last year(2022). We advertised hamburger at $4 and then advertised in a different area at $6. We sold out of the cheaper priced hamburger and the higher priced stuff sat for a long time. Eventually dropped it to $4 and then it went. So for now we collect the best roasts, and steaks and grind the rest. But if I could pencil out whole cows going into all burger a few times a year I definitely would.

2nd problem in my area is in the last three years it seems that every person that raises cows, chickens, or pigs have gone into selling their product, so prices are all over the board and higher priced stuff unless being shipped sits a long time.

By law, to sell individual cuts you have to use at least a state inspected facility. USDA if crossing state lines

In NY, it has to be USDA inspected to sell packages.
I was under the impression to sell by cut, in TN. Had to go thru a usda facility.

I use a custom exempt processor. It has "not for sale" stickers on it.

Personally, I don't worry about it. I book the slots well ahead of time. Try to have them spoken for. But that hard to do in this economy. I figure I'm not hurting anyone if I sell some by the lb
I'm bringing 2.5 home this group. I expect to have it sold in a 4 to 6 weeks selling in sample boxes $250 each.

I sold my last ground for 6 per lb til I sold out. Ended up trading 150 lbs on some hay. $25 a roll and $6 per lb.

I'm pricing ground at $8 per lb right now. Which is my break even if I grind up a whole cow. If I do some whole cow ground, it will be $10. I'll eat it otherwise.

Difference being like single barrel whiskey. Supermarket ground has many many many animals in it. Mine has only one. If no one can appreciate that, no problem. It's worth a shot though.

Just a matter of educating that 10% of consumers and hoping 0.5% will bite.

For us, the quality of what we are putting out has been driving demand up and up. There are lots of people producing beef, lots of it is mediocre. I'm not competing with them.Truthfully, im glad theyre there to satisfy the price conscious consumers. I want the folks that will reward me for my efforts. That's just me though.

Iv3 had the mindset of... if I produce it, someone will buy it. And so far, that's worked. We will do 30 this year I think. Did 22 last year. 14 the year before that. 3 the year before that.

I see being able to make a living at it in a couple years.

For us, the quality of what we are putting out has been driving demand up and up. There are lots of people producing beef, lots of it is mediocre. I'm not competing with them.Truthfully, im glad theyre there to satisfy the price conscious consumers. I want the folks that will reward me for my efforts. That's just me though.

Iv3 had the mindset of... if I produce it, someone will buy it. And so far, that's worked. We will do 30 this year I think. Did 22 last year. 14 the year before that. 3 the year before that.

I see being able to make a living at it in a couple years.
Can I come work for you? I work cheap.

Latest posts