Ground

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Ground beef. It used to be ground was a standard "ground". It was as if it was ground once with a larger plate. Over the years processors have been doing it differently. While it's ok it's not the same. We have a wonderful locker now who's willing to try and get back to what we liked/grew up with. However we can't figure out how it was done. We used a different processor during 2020 and they did the ground the old way that we love. It falls apart not a mush type patty. When our normal processor was back up and running we had him try and figure out how it was done. We keep failing. Last time was just once ground with a large plate. It came out mush like.
Does anyone know the old school way of grinding where the meat is just in "strands" and falls apart out of the package? Could it be from vacuum packing? We don't like the vacuum packaging but it's all anyone does short of the temporary processor who did the ground we like. Unfortunately we didn't get all of our order we paid for back so we aren't going back to them again. When I say that I mean we asked for all bones back (use for broth) and fat and got none except a few dog bones cut very small. We specifically made it clear we wanted everything back including the fat and bones.
I can thaw both grounds and take pictures if this doesn't make sense. Just hoping someone has some idea's on what we are going for so the next beef we can have the ground we like. I can thaw some roasts to try on our own and see if we can figure it out so we can tell the locker next time.
Thanks in advance!

Ground beef. It used to be ground was a standard "ground". It was as if it was ground once with a larger plate. Over the years processors have been doing it differently. While it's ok it's not the same. We have a wonderful locker now who's willing to try and get back to what we liked/grew up with. However we can't figure out how it was done. We used a different processor during 2020 and they did the ground the old way that we love. It falls apart not a mush type patty. When our normal processor was back up and running we had him try and figure out how it was done. We keep failing. Last time was just once ground with a large plate. It came out mush like.
Does anyone know the old school way of grinding where the meat is just in "strands" and falls apart out of the package? Could it be from vacuum packing? We don't like the vacuum packaging but it's all anyone does short of the temporary processor who did the ground we like. Unfortunately we didn't get all of our order we paid for back so we aren't going back to them again. When I say that I mean we asked for all bones back (use for broth) and fat and got none except a few dog bones cut very small. We specifically made it clear we wanted everything back including the fat and bones.
I can thaw both grounds and take pictures if this doesn't make sense. Just hoping someone has some idea's on what we are going for so the next beef we can have the ground we like. I can thaw some roasts to try on our own and see if we can figure it out so we can tell the locker next time.
Thanks in advance!
The Kroger here sells some like that. They label it "course ground for chili", and it is leaner, 83/17.

Latest posts