30 month old heifer for beef?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
We have a 2 yr old BWF heifer that never did get bred. We are needing another beef to quarter out. I currently have her with the beef steers as of about 3 weeks ago. The process date is in late October so she'll be 30 months by then. She's a thick made solid calf already and should be in real good condition being on feed for 5 more months.
Processed a two yr old heifer that lost a calf and only had her on feed for a month and would never do that again unless just for hamburger as I think they need to be fed longer. Then processed an older cow fed out 3 months a few years ago. The roasts were good but steaks were more chewy than I would like as far as somebody else getting it.
My question is would this 30 month heifer at the time be too old for good steaks if fed out that long? She's probably 1,100# now.

Cutting a T-bone requires sawing through a lumbar vertebra in the spine. (a no no after 30 months) But the tenderloin can be fileted out, yielding filet mignon steaks and NY strip steaks instead of T-bones, the same meat sans the vertebra, just different names for the resulting cuts.

p.s.
Different areas of the country might use another name for a NY strip steak and some prefer to leave tenderloin whole rather
than cutting into medallions for steaks.

Last edited:
Cutting a T-bone requires sawing through a lumbar vertebra in the spine. (a no no after 30 months) But the tenderloin can be fileted out, yielding filet mignon steaks and NY strip steaks instead of T-bones, the same meat sans the vertebra, just different names for the resulting cuts.

p.s.
Different areas of the country might use another name for a NY strip steak and some prefer to leave tenderloin whole rather
than cutting into medallions for steaks.
The first butcher I used in South Dakota had different names for all kinds of cuts. I once opened a package of New York steaks with part of a knuckle bone in it. They supplied meat to a local restaurant and I order a New York bison steak... and it sure didn't look like any NY steak I ever saw.

Never heard that about age being a factor in cutting T-bones. Why the restriction on age? Something to do with nerves and mad cow?

Last edited:
We have a 2 yr old BWF heifer that never did get bred. We are needing another beef to quarter out. I currently have her with the beef steers as of about 3 weeks ago. The process date is in late October so she'll be 30 months by then. She's a thick made solid calf already and should be in real good condition being on feed for 5 more months.
Processed a two yr old heifer that lost a calf and only had her on feed for a month and would never do that again unless just for hamburger as I think they need to be fed longer. Then processed an older cow fed out 3 months a few years ago. The roasts were good but steaks were more chewy than I would like as far as somebody else getting it.
My question is would this 30 month heifer at the time be too old for good steaks if fed out that long? She's probably 1,100# now.
Slaughter house told me 30 months max. Mine was 29. Decent cutlets and put rest in hamburger.

I had a freemartin heifer I butchered at 30ish months.. she looked like garbage in the spring, then she ate lots of good grass and became a total butterball.. Delicious eating!View attachment 30160

I did the same thing but by the time I had her processed she was 36 months. 30 months is the cut off limit to export oversees, and generally over 32 months USDA cannot grade higher than select. We don't like TBones and prefer NY Strips and ribeyes and tenderloin steaks, so her age was a non issue.

As long as she's been eating good and not losing weight the last 100 or so days then she will be a great eating experience. My cutoff for age is 6 years old or so depending on muscling.

It'll be beautifully marbled.

Here is a 3 year old I had processed in April. Customer said it was the best beef he has had in a very long time. And super tender. Marbling was awesome. She was fed WSC for only 60 days, and only at 1% bodyweight. Free choice hay and mineral.

Attachments

• 20230407_161302.jpg
    20230407_161302.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
As long as she's been eating good and not losing weight the last 100 or so days then she will be a great eating experience. My cutoff for age is 6 years old or so depending on muscling.

Here is a 3 year old I had processed in April. Customer said it was the best beef he has had in a very long time. And super tender. Marbling was awesome. She was fed WSC for only 60 days, and only at 1% bodyweight. Free choice hay and mineral.
That's a nice looking animal. I don't feed animals long when I butcher my own either. But I choose animals, like yours, that won't need a lot of feed.

You must have a good buyer to bring you cows like that for beef. Lol

Latest posts