What cuts do you prefer when processing your beef?

Help Support CattleToday:

The whole minute steak thing is a disaster as far as I'm concerned. Putting a batter on it would be like polishing a turd. I'll pass, if it's too tough make it into burger for Pete's sake.
No. It makes a great meal. You can thaw it out in 10 minutes in water. Very quick, handy and good.

I was born and raised in Iowa so minute steak is a normal cut of meat here. I was told at a young age that it is referred to minute steak because it is generally used as a breakfast steak with eggs. it is round steak cut to about 1/2 inch and run through a tenderizer at the butcher shop. only takes a minute to cook thus the name "minute steak"
I wish I had known that when I gave the cutting instructions to the meat plant.

The whole minute steak thing is a disaster as far as I'm concerned. Putting a batter on it would be like polishing a turd. I'll pass, if it's too tough make it into burger for Pete's sake.
It's not that it's tough so much, it's that it makes a really good meal quick, and making gravy to go with. If you don't like it, that's sad. You are missing out.

All steaks 3/4" except fillet mignons 1 1/2" = (6-8 oz) roasts 2.5 lbs hamburger 1 lb packages +85% lean, they actually average a shade more at 1.1 lbs. A couple packages of soup bones with a little meat left on the bones. Occasionally stew meat/stir fry, but often cut it myself from a round steak.

Have never understood why some prefer 2 lb packages of hamburger, if you want 2 lbs just thaw 2 packs instead of one.
I prefer 3/4" steaks, faster and easier to cook them properly and you can always have a 2nd steak if you want. Plus you get 25% more steaks vs 1" so if you have company usually enough for everyone.
Keeps me from having to thaw 4....

I am sending one to be processed this weekend. I am just curious about what cuts everyone prefers when having one processed. For instance, my processor normally cuts 3/4" steaks. I prefer to have mine cut no less than 1 1/4". I also normally have one round cubed and my hamburger I want in 1 1/2 lb packs rather than the standard 1 lb.
My wife asked for several roasts every time we butchered an animal and after emptying the freezer the last thing that was left was all the roasts. So I began getting as many steaks as possible, and only a few roasts. The roasts were still the last to be eaten. I also got the trimmings as hamburger but also stew meat. We like stew but also stew meat is great to stir fry with.

As we've gotten older we eat more roasts, though. I'd still get more steaks.

My wife and I have compromised on 1" for steak. I would prefer a little thicker.
I ask for stew meat, brisket, chuck steak, the better roasts, 2 lb burger. I don't very often get t-bone because I seldom take anything young enough. No tongue, bones or guts.
Missing out on the best cut of meat with the tongue, around here we wish they had more than 1!

My wife asked for several roasts every time we butchered an animal and after emptying the freezer the last thing that was left was all the roasts. So I began getting as many steaks as possible, and only a few roasts. The roasts were still the last to be eaten. I also got the trimmings as hamburger but also stew meat. We like stew but also stew meat is great to stir fry with.

As we've gotten older we eat more roasts, though. I'd still get more steaks.
One nice thing about roasts is you can always turn them into stakes. Or burger. Or even sausage or jerky if you like. If you have a roast you have options!

I like to use saltine crackers instead of flour. Put a sleave of crackers in a gallon baggie, roll with a dough roller to make crumbs. Add seasoning and drop meat in bag before/after or dlb-dip the milk wash.

My old butcher used to tenderize the round steak and pkg it whole. I had to trim it. New guy offers "cutlets", tenderized, and trimmed.

@Ky hills,
True on rnd steak-n-gravy. But IMO that it what I use "non-tenderized" rnd steak for.

I like to use saltine crackers instead of flour. Put a sleave of crackers in a gallon baggie, roll with a dough roller to make crumbs. Add seasoning and drop meat in bag before/after or dlb-dip the milk wash.

My old butcher used to tenderize the round steak and pkg it whole. I had to trim it. New guy offers "cutlets", tenderized, and trimmed.

@Ky hills,
True on rnd steak-n-gravy. But IMO that it what I use "non-tenderized" rnd steak for.
We don't tenderize it either, it cooks up tender enough.

Latest posts