New Meat Processing Plant in East Tennessee

Help Support CattleToday:

It seems like a large investment for only 125 head/week. They report they are waiting on more money and already have $ 5 million.
Sounds about right. A couple years ago a new mom and pop plant opened not far away. Their goal was 15 hogs and 12 beef a week. The rumor was $1.3mil is what they borrowed.

Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol, Abingdon, And Asheville are within 1 hour drive.
I agree lots of restaurants in the region but most of them like Texas Roadhouse and the big chains arent likely to be buying locally.
Another issue is where do they hire people that truly know how to cut steaks. Labor is a big issue with everything but skilled butcher labor is rare.

Just from what I've heard, several former dairies are planning on trying to finish cattle for it. Most already have the facilities and equipment. My wife is on one of the county committees that is kinda over the slaughterhouse, so I get a little more information than I'm probably supposed to.
Thats a great idea. Hope it works out to help all of them. And maybe we can sell them some of the calves to feed.

Just from what I've heard, several former dairies are planning on trying to finish cattle for it. Most already have the facilities and equipment. My wife is on one of the county committees that is kinda over the slaughterhouse, so I get a little more information than I'm probably supposed to.
Do you know if they are going to try to finish Dairy cows or are they switching to beef? It takes a lot of grain to finish a Dairy Steer.

I agree lots of restaurants in the region but most of them like Texas Roadhouse and the big chains arent likely to be buying locally.
Another issue is where do they hire people that truly know how to cut steaks. Labor is a big issue with everything but skilled butcher labor is rare.
The chains definitely would not. Have to see how it goes. I expect when locally produced is more of an option it could blow up. Right now there not much of a supply for anyone doing all that much business I feel like. Could be wrong.

Most all have already switched to beef and soybeans for themselves . From what I understand, they plan on getting groups of calves from area farmers and putting them onto a high graintmr ration with limited to no access to pasture for a few months. I don't know about surrounding counties but Washington county is down to 3 dairies (down from 117 in early 1990's), so not a lot of access to dairy steers, although I'm sure there will be some mixed in.

Also, one of the main backers of this slaughterhouse already owns a massively successful restaurant, complete with its own catering and events venue. I'm sure that's where a good bit of beef will end up. I've been told they already are going through at least 3 - 4 cows worth of beef per week. That number will only go up when they can promote it as local

Also, one of the main backers of this slaughterhouse already owns a massively successful restaurant, complete with its own catering and events venue. I'm sure that's where a good bit of beef will end up. I've been told they already are going through at least 3 - 4 cows worth of beef per week. That number will only go up when they can promote it as local
It's going to be a home run I do believe.

Wonder where the Buc-ees brisket is smoked. In the store, they unwrap the smoked brisket and slice or chop it. My understanding is that it is smoked somewhere else and shipped daily to the store. Rumored to be supplied by Sadler's Smokehouse. Which can be purchased at Sam's and Walmart.