Good meat

Help Support CattleToday:

Winter stocking is awesome. How long did you grain feed yours and what kind of marbling did you get? I just took two to the processor about a week and a half ago. Both about 1100 lbs give or take. They were on grain for 2.5 months and gained about 330 lbs in that time frame. I'm excited to see them end of week. No real good photos but looking at the hanging halves right after being hung they didn't seem to be much fat I'm hoping since these are half Wagyu it's all infra muscular but I'm guessing that I need to wait till they are fully over two years to get really good marbling They hang them for two weeks so I should get them Thursday.IMG_3469.jpegIMG_3472.jpeg

Winter stocking is awesome. How long did you grain feed yours and what kind of marbling did you get? I just took two to the processor about a week and a half ago. Both about 1100 lbs give or take. They were on grain for 2.5 months and gained about 330 lbs in that time frame. I'm excited to see them end of week. No real good photos but looking at the hanging halves right after being hung they didn't seem to be much fat I'm hoping since these are half Wagyu it's all infra muscular but I'm guessing that I need to wait till they are fully over two years to get really good marbling They hang them for two weeks so I should get them Thursday.View attachment 35319View attachment 35320
Please remember to post pictures of the meat (especially the ribeyes).

Winter stocking is awesome. How long did you grain feed yours and what kind of marbling did you get? I just took two to the processor about a week and a half ago. Both about 1100 lbs give or take. They were on grain for 2.5 months and gained about 330 lbs in that time frame. I'm excited to see them end of week. No real good photos but looking at the hanging halves right after being hung they didn't seem to be much fat I'm hoping since these are half Wagyu it's all infra muscular but I'm guessing that I need to wait till they are fully over two years to get really good marbling They hang them for two weeks so I should get them Thursday.View attachment 35319View attachment 35320
We fed her a little over 3 months

We butchered this longhorn/red angus cross heifer, she weighed 735 lbs, that's about the size I like to butcher, we grain fed her.
We grilled sirloins, and were the best sirloins I ever had, tender and flavorful.
Very happy with the outcome.
I have a longhorn that had a white speckled up bull calf this year... she had a white speckled heifer first year, black bull 2nd year, twin black heifers third year (lost one) and this white speckled bull this year. He will be my next beef since he will not bring anything at the sale... and I am looking forward to seeing how he will taste. I have been eating Jerseys and jersey x for the last 25-30 years... always off of one of my nurse cows...
The cow was bred to the same bull for the first 2 calves, and then a different bull for the next 2 calves.... all have been polled calves... black angus used... and she had her first calf in August, was not supposed to be bred but got bred by accident when a bull got in with the heifers, and is now back to late March... got a different newly purchased bull in there so should be bred. If/when she ever comes up open, she will be hamburger and her horns will be on my wall... they are not so huge as some but are very nicely matched in size and shape. But with her record, and with what people say is their longevity, she will be here until I am too old to care....🤣🤣🤣🤣😉😉

The last one we butchered was a charbray.
We got him a little too fat, but the hb was good.
I wanted a calf with a lot less fat this time, the butcher said there was very little trimming he had to do, very little waste.
He killed five that day, a couple of them weighed 1,300 lbs and he said ours graded out the best of the lot.

Just got a spotted steer back yesterday (probably LH cross but we were told dam was British White). I asked the processor (USDA) for their "extensive cuts" package-chuck eye steaks, Denver, flat iron, etc. 20 month old 1100 lb steer, hung at 602, and got a freezer full of nice cuts back, plus the ground. The ribs had more meat on them than any we've had before. I wish I knew what he really was, I'd do that cross all day. Of course, very kind, puppy dog steer, too, but I bet my buyers will be happy.
I like the different cut option-not so many folks want a roast anymore.

Attachments

• 38127031-CD45-4320-942F-D69496ACA262.jpeg
    38127031-CD45-4320-942F-D69496ACA262.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 6DF8EE03-4901-4296-966D-64EE1FC91C6C.jpeg
    6DF8EE03-4901-4296-966D-64EE1FC91C6C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 0B76ED07-1976-46BF-A69F-D8326A382A34.jpeg
    0B76ED07-1976-46BF-A69F-D8326A382A34.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 1EE6355D-802C-4AFF-836C-670ED7FB3F33.jpeg
    1EE6355D-802C-4AFF-836C-670ED7FB3F33.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
I have an open heifer, fat on grass-just found out she was open a week ago and kill date is 5/21. She has some feed every few days, but do I need to do a huge conversion to grain at this point for milder fat flavor?

I have an open heifer, fat on grass-just found out she was open a week ago and kill date is 5/21. She has some feed every few days, but do I need to do a huge conversion to grain at this point for milder fat flavor?
If it was me I would try to feed her on grain till then. Not enough time for my preference, but I've had to do in in that time frame once before.
The processor recommended that I pull of off pasture so she wouldn't be eating wild onions this time of year.

Latest posts