Brahman meat

Help Support CattleToday:

There's a family around the Conroe or maybe it was the Eagle Lake area that raises pure Brahman for direct sales. They were on the Cattle Short Course in August 2020. The one thing I remembered she said was the Brahman hump was better than any prime cut of beef. It is a specialty in Argentina.
Dead on

Going through some old posts looking for thoughts on Brahman steers. I was in a discussion with an old rancher who ran Brangus. We were discussing breeding straight Brahma, and he said there was no money in it. While the heifers need to be sold about 18 months and brought a very good price there was no where to go with the bull calves or steers. My question for the folks on here is where do you market bulls and steers? you know the odds of getting a bull are just as good as a heifer, do you think this old rancher is correct.

I have a Brahman steer I'm planning on putting in the freezer.
I have butchered Brahman cross and the meat was good but never a pure Brahman.
I've heard the meat is tougher but leaner.
How many of you have butchered a pure Brahman?
As long as he is gaining it will be fine. Forty percent of what is in a USA meat counter is Brahman influence.

Jersey x Brahma eats pretty good.

Bubba Rutherford from Rutherford land and Cattle Company told me in a brief conversation that a Corriente x Brahma they butchered was some of the best kill cow meat he'd had. Go figure...

We butchered plenty of brangus when I was a kid and they weren't bad at all...

The Brahman steer we were wanting to butcher died, we are feeding a charbray now that lost an eye, he is scheduled for the middle of next month.
I would have liked how the Brahman turned out.

Going through some old posts looking for thoughts on Brahman steers. I was in a discussion with an old rancher who ran Brangus. We were discussing breeding straight Brahma, and he said there was no money in it. While the heifers need to be sold about 18 months and brought a very good price there was no where to go with the bull calves or steers. My question for the folks on here is where do you market bulls and steers? you know the odds of getting a bull are just as good as a heifer, do you think this old rancher is correct.
Not sure what he means by no market. We sell the bulls/ steers through the auction barn just like every thing else. They bring basically 1.20-ish pretty consistently. Females have a lot of variation in price depending on quality and marketing but $2K at weaning is not uncommon.

Not sure what he means by no market. We sell the bulls/ steers through the auction barn just like every thing else. They bring basically 1.20-ish pretty consistently. Females have a lot of variation in price depending on quality and marketing but $2K at weaning is not uncommon.
Thanks brute. That's kind of his point. With angus or any of the other similar crosses $1.20 is 60-80 cents discount. So if you're a Brahma breeder you are satisfied that the heifers make up for the difference?

Thanks brute. That's kind of his point. With angus or any of the other similar crosses $1.20 is 60-80 cents discount. So if you're a Brahma breeder you are satisfied that the heifers make up for the difference?
I guess we should step back a second. If some ones goal is to just raise calves for the auction barn, there is no need for either. Pure Angus or Brahman are both way to expensive to get value back at the auction barn. Good crossebred cows and a good black bull is all a person needs.

On the other side, with pure bred it's 6 one way half a dozen the next. It will be regional and a marketing game.

We run Brahman cows as part of a bigger picture, to produce our own F1 replacements. We don't run Brahman cows to raise Brahman calves for sale. Most people in our area do the same, they raise F1s. You have a herd of Brahman cows and run Angus or Hereford on them the vast majority of the time. You only breed back to Brahman bulls when you need to restock your Brahman herd.

In that scenario, an F1 female brings real close to a commercial Brahman female, and the F1 steers may be .20 or less off, especially with black F1s.

You could also sale the purebred Brahman bulls as replacement sires versus running them through the sale barn. That's if you don't mind the hassle of dealing with people.

I guess we should step back a second. If some ones goal is to just raise calves for the auction barn, there is no need for either. Pure Angus or Brahman are both way to expensive to get value back at the auction barn. Good crossebred cows and a good black bull is all a person needs.

On the other side, with pure bred it's 6 one way half a dozen the next. It will be regional and a marketing game.

We run Brahman cows as part of a bigger picture, to produce our own F1 replacements. We don't run Brahman cows to raise Brahman calves for sale. Most people in our area do the same, they raise F1s. You have a herd of Brahman cows and run Angus or Hereford on them the vast majority of the time. You only breed back to Brahman bulls when you need to restock your Brahman herd.

In that scenario, an F1 female brings real close to a commercial Brahman female, and the F1 steers may be .20 or less off, especially with black F1s.
Thank you. The f1 is our goal also. We added 3 pure blood to the herd. Ai'd them with female Brahma try and double without the cost of 3 more pure. The conversation with the old rancher started when I asked about bringing in a pure bull since these first 3 are a load to handle in the pen for another round of AI. His statement there was as I said earlier that your going to get half bulls and the don't sell well. Our thoughts are phase out the crossbreeds and build Brahma to get the F1 profit as about 25 Moma's is max on our acreage. If the rest are as difficult as our first 3 we definitely want to live breed and use the pens as little as possible. I try to always keep a gate or fence between us but the rest of the herd is so easy and calm sometimes you just have to get in the pen. Any advice is appreciated

You could also sale the purebred Brahman bulls as replacement sires versus running them through the sale barn. That's if you don't mind the hassle of dealing with people.
Well I deal we people daily so that part's fine. Dealing with folks on cattle as I learn will be a different experience.

The Brahman steer we were wanting to butcher died, we are feeding a charbray now that lost an eye, he is scheduled for the middle of next month.
I would have liked how the Brahman turned out.
I have seen several through years die of some type of hardware. Ninety nine percent ingested it from hay.
The Charbray is almost pure Brimmer all he needs to be full Char is someone drive by with a Char bull in a trailer.

Thank you. The f1 is our goal also. We added 3 pure blood to the herd. Ai'd them with female Brahma try and double without the cost of 3 more pure. The conversation with the old rancher started when I asked about bringing in a pure bull since these first 3 are a load to handle in the pen for another round of AI. His statement there was as I said earlier that your going to get half bulls and the don't sell well. Our thoughts are phase out the crossbreeds and build Brahma to get the F1 profit as about 25 Moma's is max on our acreage. If the rest are as difficult as our first 3 we definitely want to live breed and use the pens as little as possible. I try to always keep a gate or fence between us but the rest of the herd is so easy and calm sometimes you just have to get in the pen. Any advice is appreciated
You are right. They can be a real pia and natural service seems to be the easier route.

If you goal is F1s you can run Hereford cows or Angus cows and AI back to Brahman bulls. You never even have to have a Brahman on the property.

Latest posts