New Meat Processing Plant in East Tennessee

Help Support CattleToday:

I am friends with the owner of the one in Lee Co but never take a calf there. He is a good person but im not interested in only 1 buyer giving what they want. Their price yesterday.and today is .15 to as much as .45 cheaper than market. So lets average that at .30. On a 500lb calf thats $150 lost to save a commission of $17 at our barn here.
All #2 are turned away or bought very cheap and a guy picks them up that night. He got 19 calves yesterday .
Again the owner is a good person but its just not for me. I can't drive farther to take $133 less from my above example.
sstterry, lets compare to the Knoxville Livestock Center which is closer to you and much easier haul.
Up in Lee Co the highest price yesterday for 3wt or 4wt steers was 2.35. Knoxville had heavy 4wt steers as high as 2.80.
People need to compare markets now. Its a really good time to make money or to give it away.
Actually Greenville is the closest market to me. I never said I would take my cattle to Glade Springs, just that I know some that do. Last week 4wt steers averaged 2.20 in Greenville. which is not nearly as good as Knoxville. Greenville's problem is that the buyers don't show up like they do in Knoxville.
Edit: that report was from two weeks ago.

Last edited:
Actually Greenville is the closest market to me. I never said I would take my cattle to Glade Springs, just that I know some that do. Last week 4wt steers averaged 2.20 in Greenville. which is not nearly as good as Knoxville. Greenville's problem is that the buyers don't show up like they do in Knoxville.
Edit: that report was from two weeks ago.
Been no sale in Greenville the last 2 weeks. Calves getting higher every day.

I have followed this pretty closely and the issue to begin with is other than a very few finished for personal use there are very very few finished cattle in this area. So where are the 125 head a week coming from? And thats a lot of beef to sell to local restaurants. And getting a calf slaughtered has gotten much easier in the last few months. I really hope it works out for them.
One guy I buy ear corn from already has a 70 head finishing barn up and going. Another guy I buy from is putting up a 150 head barn right now. Both are intending to finish for the new plant. It looks like I am going to have to eventually grow my own corn if the plant ever gets open.

125 head a week does not seem like much for the amount of money being invested. The small 5 employee custom exempt packer I use kills 40 a week.

The slaughter and processor of beef (and hogs, sheep and goats, elk, deer) in my rural Coos county Oregon is the Meat Cutting Room. They come to the farm with a winch truck, , slaughter, gut and skin and take the carcass back to the Cutting room and hang for the requested time. Then cut up as the individual as dequired. Seems like humane slaughter than a slaughter house. The animal has it's nose burried in feed then shot in the head. I don't know the cost but they sell big bags of dog bones with so much meat on them a person could boil for stew for $5.
Sounds like they are doing a terrible job of de-boning.
That meat belongs in the burger! The customer PAID them to do a job and they didn't get what they paid for.

Local butcher went to work for a shop in town because they offered to pay him so well. He quit after just one month because of the same reasons. He couldn't work with the people that would treat their customers that way. He took over his mother's shop here recently. Always busy. Does a dang fine job.

Last one I took in He was real excited about it. She was good and fat. Said she would hang up at 600lbs just by looking at her.
She hung 630. He's good!

One guy I buy ear corn from already has a 70 head finishing barn up and going. Another guy I buy from is putting up a 150 head barn right now. Both are intending to finish for the new plant. It looks like I am going to have to eventually grow my own corn if the plant ever gets open.
If that happens, hit me up. I have a guy in Moshiem that you can buy from. He sells shelled instead of ear though. Plus he has a custom cattle mix and other things too.

If that happens, hit me up. I have a guy in Moshiem that you can buy from. He sells shelled instead of ear though. Plus he has a custom cattle mix and other things too.
I would like to know more about it. I have been buying corn from Ray Farms in Bulls Gap the last couple years. Always looking for options.

I like ear better for a finishing rational because of the roughage in the cob, but it is getting harder to get. When I cannot get ear corn I put a few square bales of poor quality first cutting hay in place of the cob when I grind shelled. I might have to hit you up, Moshiem is about 80 miles each way for me, but I can haul 350 bu of shelled on a load, so that is still manageable.

Last edited:
I like ear better for a finishing rational because of the roughage in the cob, but it is getting harder to get. When I cannot get ear corn I put a few square bales of poor quality first cutting hay in place of the cob when I grind shelled. I might have to hit you up, Moshiem is about 80 miles each way for me, but I can haul 350 bu of shelled on a load, so that is still manageable.
Wow, you really are Northeast of me.

But it drives like 100. :giggle: I thought you might be in Mountain City when you said 80.
You are not too far from the truth. I got a couple of loads off of a guy last year on Dulaney rd in Moshiem. It took me two hours each way in my old dump truck.

I worked in Mountain City for 11 years and drove from Roan Mountain. If I had to drive my truck from Mountain City to Moshiem I would have to stay overnight. I would love to live in Mountain City if you never had to leave. It is 45 minutes to go 10 miles any direction from there.