Brahman meat

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
I have a Brahman steer I'm planning on putting in the freezer.
I have butchered Brahman cross and the meat was good but never a pure Brahman.
I've heard the meat is tougher but leaner.
How many of you have butchered a pure Brahman?

Where is this study from? No mention of English or typical US breeds, so since Angus is apparently the "standard of comparison" would be interesting to see where they and Hereford and BW, longhorn (more US type breeds) fit in this mix
I have had that slide a long time. I wish I knew where I got it. I'll search around and see if I can find a link.

No experience with processing a straight Brahman, but we just had a calf with a low percentage of Brahman influence processed. We can't see any real difference in it either.
Had a neighbor that was an Angus enthusiast, he had a laundry list of reasons why only Angus was the only beef that was fit to eat.
It included that cattle with any percentage of Brahman would ever marble. We proved that one wrong.
Hereford would put on two inches of back fat and still would not marble.
We have some Herefords, and that's mainly what we have processed. We sell the black cattle and hold back Herefords to feed out. Some of theHerefords do tend to have quite a bit of fat, done more than others. Ours have marbled as well as the Angus that we fed out, and the meat is just as good.
At some point I intend to feed out a longhorn cross.

I have no experience with Brahmans.
But I have also heard they produce great lean beef.

I recommend whenever you butcher an animal of any breed, that if you are worried about the possibility of the meat being tough, to have the steaks cut 3/4" thick and plan to marinate the heck out of them. Sometimes they need to be marinated, sometimes they don't. But steaks cut thicker than 3/4" can be tough to chew if the quality is borderline.

Last edited:
""I see jersey is on the most tender list.
I butchered a pure jersey and an angus jersey cross.
I didn't like the meat at all it was very stringy.
I will never butcher another one.""

Thats the complete opposite of what I have found. Jersey steers for me have been very good when finished out on high fat grain for the last two or three months, plus you can buy them cheap. I look for one about 700 lbs that will finish out around 900.

An index and transcript of the presentation:
Start with slide 30 will quickly get you to the slide (#35) posted above by HDR.

(there's a note on the website stating the article was modified/updated over or more than 6 years ago)

View attachment 10047
Did that one slide I posted change?

There's a family around the Conroe or maybe it was the Eagle Lake area that raises pure Brahman for direct sales. They were on the Cattle Short Course in August 2020. The one thing I remembered she said was the Brahman hump was better than any prime cut of beef. It is a specialty in Argentina.

I had a murray grey cow i inseminated to brahman, the resulting calf was steered and grew big and fast. Got my meat man in when he was 16 months to butcher. He said to me take him to the saleyards and buy a murray grey steer instead. When they get brahman cattle they just mince the whole animal as the meat is terrible. Of course i knew better, the next six months we chewed through tasteless meat and my lesson was learned. The meat had no marbling but thick fat cover. What was surprising was if you didn't trim the fat it still had no flavour. Now i know it's hard to make a judgement on just one animal but every calf this cow had was great eating except that one.

It is mostly fat isn't it??
I had always heard it had a lot of gristle, but the smoked hump (that just sounds wrong) video HDR posted shows otherwise.
Evidently pretty popular as most places I looked at online are sold out, including the one closest to me.
brahman hump
I wonder if the bull crest of other breeds looks and cooks similar?