what do quality cattle look like?

Help Support CattleToday:

WP_20160208_17_02_03_Pro.jpg

Sold her bull calf in the pasture at 6 months, he is headed to Houston.

She will be 4 in August, TB. Old HR Williams bloodline from the Baton Rouge area. Probably lost that type in a lot of programs because they culled too hard for temperament. She doesn't like anybody but me.

20150427_200853_zpspeopciwq.jpg

She may not be the prettiest thing around but for the last 15+ years she's had good calves and she's the boss at this farm. Sadly I noticed some cows riding her the other day so I plan to check her and sell her if open.

Lazy M":20dfbu3b said:

She may not be the prettiest thing around but for the last 15+ years she's had good calves and she's the boss at this farm. Sadly I noticed some cows riding her the other day so I plan to check her and sell her if open.
selling her would probably be a good idea at that age you dont know if she will be around next year to sell

ez14":3e08wzwr said:
Lazy M":3e08wzwr said:

selling her would probably be a good idea at that age you dont know if she will be around next year to sell

That is the shame of not being able to use Brahman influence up north.
Loss of longevity, during the drought I hauled some of my cows and neighbors
in there 20's still holding BCS good teeth and producing a calf every 12 months.

Caustic Burno":2my7b1ei said:
ez14":2my7b1ei said:
Lazy M":2my7b1ei said:

That is the shame of not being able to use Brahman influence up north.
Loss of longevity, during the drought I hauled some of my cows and neighbors
in there 20's still holding BCS good teeth and producing a calf every 12 months.
some day i might try a Brahman f1 just to see how it would do i hear to much stuff about them being great not to try at least one some day as far as longevity from what i hear Scottish highlander is supposed to be the best for up north its to bad they don't grow or marble

Only one way to get Brahman up north is cross them to highland and yak. A guy from the rodeo school already bred his highland cows to Brahman bull. Not sure if I want them in my pasture.

Muddy":dtm4af6c said:
Only one way to get Brahman up north is cross them to highland and yak. A guy from the rodeo school already bred his highland cows to Brahman bull. Not sure if I want them in my pasture.
thats what i was thinking of trying if you can find out how that went please let me know :D

ez14":1r9q4kee said:
Muddy":1r9q4kee said:
thats what i was thinking of trying if you can find out how that went please let me know :D
I must be warn you that this cross is most ugliest thing you ever seen.

JWBrahman":3eqgn1lu said:
She will be 4 in August, TB. Old HR Williams bloodline from the Baton Rouge area. Probably lost that type in a lot of programs because they culled too hard for temperament. She doesn't like anybody but me.
JWBrahman I do like that cow. It seems to me like a lot of the Brahman and even the Brahman crosses are a lot more ''one person'' cattle I sold an old red Brahman cow last spring that would follow me around if I had feed but let someone else get out of the PU and she just might blow and head for the woods and take everything with her.

also seems like I am seeing a lot more Brahman looking cattle that are not near as big as that cow more leggie and stream line , what's up with them ??

BRYANT":wyngrqyw said:
JWBrahman":wyngrqyw said:
JWBrahman I do like that cow. It seems to me like a lot of the Brahman and even the Brahman crosses are a lot more ''one person'' cattle I sold an old red Brahman cow last spring that would follow me around if I had feed but let someone else get out of the PU and she just might blow and head for the woods and take everything with her.

also seems like I am seeing a lot more Brahman looking cattle that are not near as big as that cow more leggie and stream line , what's up with them ??

That is the problem with these threads where people are culling so hard on temperament. This cow won't let me pet her newborn calf.... this cow chases me when I try to feed my other babies... :x They have no clue what they are doing. They are culling good animals for being a little high headed at times and keeping junk because they can eat out of their hands. That's the "pet" mentality destroying the cattle industry.

When I pick out Brangus or any Brahman cross cattle I look for that exact look that girl has. I went through 60 head of heifers one time. The guy gave me a price and said I could pick out 20. I started cutting... as soon as he figured out what I was doing he started crawfishing. Wanted to raise the price. It got pretty heated but I convinced him to keep his word.

I have a gray Brahman ,she won't compare with JW cow, much more stream line that is ugly , will try to kill you if you push or pen her by herself and every year I say this will be her last, BUT every 12 months she has a nice calf and always raises it. I know by her looks and the fact that if I sent her through a salebarn she is going to clean the ring out, that she will not bring much so its best to just leave her be and pull a nice calf off every year and sell it. ?? I have learned how to handle her and always watch her, she lots up good eats and leaves just don't push her by herself always keep other cattle with her.

now I know there will be some on here tell me how she needs to be sold, shot, ect. but she aint yours.

BRYANT":1abyn1gf said:
I have a gray Brahman ,she won't compare with JW cow, much more stream line that is ugly , will try to kill you if you push or pen her by herself and every year I say this will be her last, BUT every 12 months she has a nice calf and always raises it. I know by her looks and the fact that if I sent her through a salebarn she is going to clean the ring out, that she will not bring much so its best to just leave her be and pull a nice calf off every year and sell it. ?? I have learned how to handle her and always watch her, she lots up good eats and leaves just don't push her by herself always keep other cattle with her.

now I know there will be some on here tell me how she needs to be sold, shot, ect. but she aint yours.

No she is a Brimmer.
Brimmers have a bigger fight or flight zone than most other breeds.
Work mine by myself nice slow and quite, lead them don't push.
I learned years ago I always put three to four in the crowding area and work them down the chute.
I cull out the side gate on the chute.

Caustic Burno":3mebq4hn said:
BRYANT":3mebq4hn said:

No she is a Brimmer.
Brimmers have a bigger fight or flight zone than most other breeds.
Work mine by myself nice slow and quite, lead them don't push.
I learned years ago I always put three to four in the crowding area and work them down the chute.
I cull out the side gate on the chute.

Exactly. I work mine either by myself or with my son, who is quiet and laid-back also. I've occasionally helped work cattle with people that whoop and holler. I don't want them anywhere around mine.

Same here. Try to do as much by myself as possible. Might get my dad to work the gate on the trailer or man the cell phone just in case.

You can tell when those Brimmer cattle don't like what's going on. They will clearly let you know. When they start squaring up to up and looking you dead in the eyes, they are not comfortable. You need to get some more cattle with them. Walk up slow, open the gate where they can clearly see it. Then back up out of the way.

Brute 23":1uqo3y2b said:
Same here. Try to do as much by myself as possible. Might get my dad to work the gate on the trailer or man the cell phone just in case.

You can tell when those Brimmer cattle don't like what's going on. They will clearly let you know. When they start squaring up to up and looking you dead in the eyes, they are not comfortable. You need to get some more cattle with them. Walk up slow, open the gate where they can clearly see it. Then back up out of the way.
Sounds awesome! Can't wait to get a pot load of those bought. Just kidding. I know Brahma has its place, I'm just glad it's not mine..

Lazy M":3kesz11r said:
Brute 23":3kesz11r said:

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to get a pot load of those bought. Just kidding. I know Brahma has its place, I'm just glad it's not mine..

There are places that's all that can survive. You don't have a choice.

Lazy M":o2g1ix81 said:
Brute 23":o2g1ix81 said:

Why wouldn't anyone not want a cow that is insect, disease resistant can live on barb wire and briars
while maintaining BCS producing a live healthy calf every 12 months and easily produce into there mid twenties.
I'm confused

Latest posts