what do quality cattle look like?

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":35mbtgx4 said:
Lazy M":35mbtgx4 said:
Brute 23":35mbtgx4 said:
Same here. Try to do as much by myself as possible. Might get my dad to work the gate on the trailer or man the cell phone just in case.

You can tell when those Brimmer cattle don't like what's going on. They will clearly let you know. When they start squaring up to up and looking you dead in the eyes, they are not comfortable. You need to get some more cattle with them. Walk up slow, open the gate where they can clearly see it. Then back up out of the way.
Sounds awesome! Can't wait to get a pot load of those bought. Just kidding. I know Brahma has its place, I'm just glad it's not mine..

Why wouldn't anyone not want a cow that is insect, disease resistant can live on barb wire and briars
while maintaining BCS producing a live healthy calf every 12 months and easily produce into there mid twenties.
I'm confused

Hoss is my favorite bonanza character :D

Caustic Burno":1ha51i4a said:
Muddy":1ha51i4a said:
Minus cold tolerance.

You better call the Lasiters in Co.and tell them the cattle they developed in Texas wont make it.
Beefmasters....very small brimmer blood, less ears and two cold tolerant breeds in the mix.

Muddy":136yh08h said:
Caustic Burno":136yh08h said:
Muddy":136yh08h said:
Minus cold tolerance.

You better call the Lasiters in Co.and tell them the cattle they developed in Texas wont make it.
Beefmasters....very small brimmer blood, less ears and two cold tolerant breeds in the mix.
Once in a while you`ll see beefmasters in the north

Y'all gotta realize where caustic lives, the little skeeters will eat man or beast right were he stands. The big ones will carry you off and eat you latter. :cboy: Brimmers about the only thing that can take it

Muddy":is0w0l9a said:
Caustic Burno":is0w0l9a said:
Muddy":is0w0l9a said:
Minus cold tolerance.

I guess if you consider 50% small your right.

Beginning in the early 1930s, Tom Lasater, the breed's founder, developed Beefmasters by crossing Hereford, Shorthorn and Brahman cattle. The exact mixture of the foundation cattle is not known, but is thought to be about 25% Hereford, 25% Shorthorn and 50% Brahman.

That is as much or more than people here run as well as Co.

I have some doubts with Beefmasters being 50% Brahman. But then again, Colorado isn't that cold as Minnesota.

ez14":13chb0lv said:
Muddy":13chb0lv said:
Caustic Burno":13chb0lv said:
Once in a while you`ll see beefmasters in the north
We do have them here as well, but these particular local Beefmasters have bred brimmer out of them and they have more taurine looks than brimmer.

Then they are not Beefmasters if the Brahman has been bred out.
They are crossbred cows, huge difference from a recognized stabilized composite breed that
produces predictable EPDs .

Muddy":2nq6qtfd said:
Caustic Burno":2nq6qtfd said:
Muddy":2nq6qtfd said:
Minus cold tolerance.

I know it's been a long time since I took my cattle classes in college, but if memory serves me Beefmasters have about 1/2 Brahman blood, while the other composite breeds, such as Brangus and Santa Gertrudis, have 3/8.

Caustic Burno":zy9j6c2h said:
Then they are not Beefmasters if the Brahman has been bred out.
They are crossbred cows, huge difference from a recognized stabilized composite breed that
produces predictable EPDs .
And they're registered, but I'm not sure about the brimmer composites being "stabilized". You have some individuals shows brimmer influence and some individuals shows little or minimal brimmer influence. Im talking about all brimmer composites.

Rafter S":3jzkgl19 said:
Muddy":3jzkgl19 said:
Caustic Burno":3jzkgl19 said:

I know it's been a long time since I took my cattle classes in college, but if memory serves me Beefmasters have about 1/2 Brahman blood, while the other composite breeds, such as Brangus and Santa Gertrudis, have 3/8.
They were probably 50% Brahman back then but I don't think they're 50% Brahman anymore.

According to Muddy

I think I will defer to the Lasaters that created the breed.
The Lasater Ranch estimates that modern Beefmaster have slightly less than one-half Brahman blood and slightly more than one-fourth of Hereford and Shorthorn breeding

Muddy":2t36dayp said:
Rafter S":2t36dayp said:
They were probably 50% Brahman back then but I don't think they're 50% Brahman anymore.

You may be right. I forgot that some of them have added Angus to turn them black.

Rafter S":afkn0e07 said:
Muddy":afkn0e07 said:
Rafter S":afkn0e07 said:

You may be right. I forgot that some of them have added Angus to turn them black.
I wasn't even talking about Angus.....

Caustic Burno":3vfslg0c said:
According to Muddy

I think I will defer to the Lasaters that created the breed.
The Lasater Ranch estimates that modern Beefmaster have slightly less than one-half Brahman blood and slightly more than one-fourth of Hereford and Shorthorn breeding
According to your post and the breed association, the exact percentage of the mixture is still unknown.

Rafter S":3txbl9id said:
Muddy":3txbl9id said:
Rafter S":3txbl9id said:

That is like all the fake Limms, Simm etc.

That is not a Beefmaster, or any of the other breeds it is a composite being sold for something it is not.
If it is Sim Angus that is fine sell it for what it is don't pee down my leg and tell me its raining that there are black Simms.
Braford and Brangus at least you know it is supposed to be a standardized composite with predictable
EPDs and it is being sold as a composite.

Black is where the money is at and the Angus Association were marketing geniuses or real lucky.
If I am going to run Angus I want Angus not some BS knock off.

Muddy pull the stick out your ass don't be mad you can't run superior Brimmer cattle that produce longer
join us.

Lol, I could say same thing to you, Caustic Burno. I just stated my opinion that I didn't think that modern beefmasters are 50% brahman currently. Maybe some of them do but they surely did good job to either hide brimmer influence or clean up the extra leather.

Muddy":1rj6bwtv said:
Lol, I could say same thing to you, Caustic Burno. I just stated my opinion that I didn't think that modern beefmasters are 50% brahman currently. Maybe some of them do but they surely did good job to either hide brimmer influence or clean up the extra leather.

I think the Brahman, Beefmaster, Brangus, Braford, ect people are all breeding for cleaner lines but I don't think that's really a tell that there is less Brahman influence.

Latest posts