what do quality cattle look like?

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy":181u29bz said:
Even tiny ears?

Posted these before sisters one took on more Brahman the other Hereford traits.
Both are 1/4 Brahman 3/4 Hereford.
The front one will eat out of your hand the back will blow her nose in your back pocket if
crowded.

Brute 23":2ctcymd8 said:
There are some with smaller ears too. You will see some that have long jack rabbit ears and some that are more "normal". Like the one JWB posted, it's ears don't look that bad.
JWB's cow looks like she has plenty of ear.

Caustic Burno":2o0ceae1 said:
Muddy":2o0ceae1 said:
Even tiny ears?

Posted these before sisters one took on more Brahman the other Hereford traits.
Both are 1/4 Brahman 3/4 Hereford.
The front one will eat out of your hand the back will blow her nose in your back pocket if
crowded.
Well obviously being 25% brimmer, they're expected to be less ear and more be taurine. Ever heard of Beefmaster Advancers?

Muddy what you can't get is they are Brahman influenced cattle just like 30% of the American herd.
You get to maximum hybred vigor on a 3 way cross calf, the Brahman benefits in the dam.
You can't afford to run a herd of grey Brahman girls as a commercial operation.
First the cost of the cow will kill you unless you are running a hereford bull
and producing the queen of cow country for replacements.
Secondly the heifers will draw top dollar at any sale the steer calves will kill you.
The heifers are highly sought out for their mothering and calf raising ability.
That front cow would bring 500 dollars more just because of her looks here.

http://brahmanjournal.com/brahman/the-b ... w-country/

Caustic Burno":2jfbacxv said:
Muddy what you can't get is they are Brahman influenced cattle just like 30% of the American herd.
You get to maximum hybred vigor on a 3 way cross calf, the Brahman benefits in the dam.
You can't afford to run a herd of grey Brahman girls as a commercial operation.
First the cost of the cow will kill you unless you are running a hereford bull
and producing the queen of cow country for replacements.
Secondly the heifers will draw top dollar at any sale the steer calves will kill you.
The heifers are highly sought out for their mothering and calf raising ability.
That front cow would bring 500 dollars more just because of her looks here.

http://brahmanjournal.com/brahman/the-b ... w-country/

I agree completely with your post CB.

On the two heifers in the picture..... The front one would bring $500 more here too. Strictly because she has more of a brahman appearance.

These females are some of the best in our herd.
This cow is Sally. She was born in 2011 and is pictured here at 4 1/2 years. She has produced some amazing calves so far, and we are eagerly awaiting her calf this spring. We will be AIing her this summer.
OK_Sally_4_5_years_.jpg

This cow is Honey Comb. She was born in 2010, and is pictured as a 5 1/2 year old. She too will be AIed this summer; I am still trying to figure out which Murray Grey bull to breed her to.
OK_Honey_Comb_5_5_years_.jpg

This cow is Fran; she was born in 2008. Her grandsire, Michaelong Grasshopper, was quite a prominent bull used in Australia, the US, and Canada. She is pictured here at 7 1/2 years. Year after year, Fran's calves have been some of the best of the calf crop.
OK_Fran_7_5_years_1_.jpg

This last cow is OK Buelah. She too was born in 2008 and has produced some outstanding calves; we have 3 of her progeny in our herd. She is pictured at 7 1/2 years.
OK_Buelah_7_5_years_1_.jpg

These are a few of our 2015 heifer calves:
Jasmine- 8 month old daughter of Sally
OK_Jasmine_9_months_.jpg

Jane- 9 month old daughter of Buelah
OK_Jane_9_months_1_.jpg

Stormy- 6 month old heifer sired by BB Uncle Tony
510_Heifer_6_months_.jpg

Goldie- a granddaughter of Fran and out of a Murray Grey bull named Cadella Park Golden Boy. She is pictured here at 7 months.
BB_Goldie_7_months_.jpg

I just got into cattle last year so here is some of what I ended up getting.

bought her as bred this last fall

this was the first cow I bought had the white faced calf in the next picture

Got this one last fall as well, calved a nice little calf but the calf was found dead at 7 weeks

couple more

I bought the limo spring and a month later she had twins.

bought this cow last winter and she had the heifer in the next picture last spring

bought her last fall as a first calf heifer and she had a great bull calf this winter
I look forward to the critiques as I just got into this and am looking for the good and the bad about my decisions to buy what I did. I'm already aware of some of there imperfections, but I'm sure there are more I'm not. thanks

For our operation this is what I consider quality cattle. These are proven cattle that are tough as nails. All they need is water and a bull and they will do the rest. This is kind of a motely looking group but they do pretty good with an Angus bull across them. I have proven heifers back in production out of this group that are just as good as their mommas.

Some one was talking about Angus X Beefmaster and getting a motely face calf. I'm a sucker for one too. ;-)

You can see them ol high headed mommas keeping a close eye on me walking up to their calves. :lol2:

Latest posts