What happened to white angus?

Help Support CattleToday:

djinwa

Reaction score
University of Florida developed a more heat resistant angus years ago.

Last I heard, they sold the herd to a guy in Haworth, OK. He had some YouTube's and Facebook posts in 2016 but nothing since.

His ALegacy Genetics is closed and can't call or email.

Did the black angus people get to him?

Was interested because a cattleman told me 1,000 head of dark cattle died in feedlot in central WA a couple years ago when it was 115. Said lighter colors did ok.

And my nephew married into poorly managed cattle herd in Hawaii so thought he might consider these.

Is the white angus breed dead?

Where are you seeing the correlation between the two? Cancer eye doesn't have anything to do with hair color.

I've always been told that the light skin around eyes are what makes them susceptible to skin cancer. I've never seen any cancer eye in Charolais, so I was wondering about a white skinned Angus...

I've always been told that the light skin around eyes are what makes them susceptible to skin cancer. I've never seen any cancer eye in Charolais, so I was wondering about a white skinned Angus...
From what I've seen, admittedly very little and only pics, the white angus cattle have/had coloration like murray grey. The skin around the eyes and nose looks grey, definitely not pink like unpigmented herefords.

From what I've seen, admittedly very little and only pics, the white angus cattle have/had coloration like murray grey. The skin around the eyes and nose looks grey, definitely not pink like unpigmented herefords.
Well that might prevent the problem. I'd still like to know for sure.

Never heard of white angus.
Be interesting to hear more. I'm in oklahoma and never heard of it.
Yes, when AAA heard that people were trying to turn yet another breed black...black Charolais...they started secretly working on developing white Angus !! Not only Charolais, but every other breed that turned black, will now have to scramble to turn back. LOL

Last edited:
I have a few that look just like the pic that Rocket posted. They are excellent cows. They are sired by a registered black angus bull over a pink nosed Charolais dam.
The bull I am using now is a non-homozygous black Limo and their calves can be red, black, or white. They will have dark pigmented eyes and usually a non-pink nose. They sell well.

Yes, when AAA heard that people were trying to turn yet another breed black...black Charolais...they started secretly working on developing white Angus !! Not only Charolais, but every other breed that turned black, will now have to scramble to turn back. LOL
We need a parody of "Painted Black". I suggest gman is up to the challenge. Come on man.....I mean gman! Work with it.

Pic of a cow we had in our herd... 7/8 Angus(daughter of N Bar Prime Time D806)... calf was 15/16 Angus. Cow was descended, several generations out, from a little yellow lineback Charolais-cross cow we bought in 1987. Don't think this cow ever produced anything other than a white calf, when bred to black bulls.

Attachments

• White Angus calf.jpg
    White Angus calf.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 10
Pic of a cow we had in our herd... 7/8 Angus(daughter of N Bar Prime Time D806)... calf was 15/16 Angus. Cow was descended, several generations out, from a little yellow lineback Charolais-cross cow we bought in 1987. Don't think this cow ever produced anything other than a white calf, when bred to black bulls.
Not surprised. Very basic genetics .
Black isn't dominant it is at best an incomplete dominant genotype.

Latest posts