what do quality cattle look like?

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms":2wjvf417 said:
Supa Dexta":2wjvf417 said:
Still workin on improving em each year though.

9558_n.jpg

He looks as long as a school bus. Show us some of his calves. Fine bull :tiphat:

I agree let's see some calves off that hoss

Yeah he's long. Pretty well mannered though, and I got him for a bargain. He doesn't throw black very often, don't have a lot of his calf pics but dug up a few. Only complaint is higher BW's.

20151025_160308.jpg

IMG_20150623_WA0003.jpg

IMG_20150823_WA0004.jpg

Photo0007.jpg

Caustic Burno":1a1rljds said:
I have posted this girl before hard cow to bet in my neck of the woods.
Both are 1/4 Brimmer.
She currently has a 2 week old bull calf.

As well as this girl she has a 3 day old bull calf currently
I do like the black one. I have some 1/2 Brahmans that don't show as much as that 1/4 Brahman
what made you start wanting only a 1/4 Brahman and do you breed back to Angus most of the time?
what about going with a Char. bull have you ever tried that ?

I get as much hybred vigor with the 1/4 and not as many attitudes for an old man to deal with.
Secondly ear gets easier to completely trim up with the pounds that mash the scales that will grade choice or prime.
There is an anomaly on the ear that will show up from time to time.
I get the top of the market on that type of calf .
Use Angus, Hereford or Brangus bulls. The only reason that black cow is here is because of her conformation.
Really wished she was a red, she is the only black cow I own.
I want a red cow as I always have options with my calf crop color by changing the bull.
Red's are cheaper and I can make a black, red or yellow calf.
My experience with Char was not a pleasant one.

Caustic Burno":3w5b95oe said:
Do you care to say what the problem was with the Char. I have cross bred cows Brahman cross and was thinking about a Char. bull. you cam PM me if you don't want to get people stirred up about Char bulls

BRYANT":3agg3yw4 said:
Caustic Burno":3agg3yw4 said:
Do you care to say what the problem was with the Char. I have cross bred cows Brahman cross and was thinking about a Char. bull. you cam PM me if you don't want to get people stirred up about Char bulls

Wore out a set of chains pulling dead pallet head calves.
In all fairness to the breed this was before we knew what an EPD was in the industry.
Put a Char bull on 1000 pound Salt Grass cows and I still have reoccurring nightmares.
Had almost as bad of experience with a big red and white Simm the only color Simms come in.
That is when I went to the hardware store to buy a head puller to get my head out of my butt.
I am going to leave this dance with the girls I came with Hereford and Brimmer cross with one of three bulls.
Angus Hereford or Brangus.
This burnt child can't sell a dead calf and I want it to get here so small it can walk out and grow like a rabbit.

thanks, and your not the first to tell me that. I am having second thoughts about it for that reason.

The baddest, rankest, most dangerous cattle I have ever seen were Char X Brahman. They were big, beautiful, cows but going in that property gave you chills. It was like Jurassic Park but with cattle. They would sit in the brush, let you go by, then charge you. Didn't matter truck, horse, or on foot... dogs no dog... BAD. :shock:

Caustic Burno":pojypngg said:
BRYANT":pojypngg said:
Caustic Burno":pojypngg said:

Wore out a set of chains pulling dead pallet head calves.
In all fairness to the breed this was before we knew what an EPD was in the industry.
Put a Char bull on 1000 pound Salt Grass cows and I still have reoccurring nightmares.
Had almost as bad of experience with a big red and white Simm the only color Simms come in.
That is when I went to the hardware store to buy a head puller to get my head out of my butt.
I am going to leave this dance with the girls I came with Hereford and Brimmer cross with one of three bulls.
Angus Hereford or Brangus.
This burnt child can't sell a dead calf and I want it to get here so small it can walk out and grow like a rabbit.

We went through a similar deal also. That was 20-25 years ago.

M-5":3735zhsf said:
Horned white cow , 5th calf she's had for me this one born Fri nite. 10 mths 2 days after last calf.
That a fast breed back have all her calves been that close

BRYANT":1nzhzb02 said:
thanks, and your not the first to tell me that. I am having second thoughts about it for that reason.
I'm surprised that some folks are still stuck in their mindset that chars and sims are cow killers. This isn't 1970.

Medicine, trucks, bows and computers have all changed in the last 30 years, so have most cattle breeds in this country.
CSM

fenceman":3r7oxryt said:
ez14":3r7oxryt said:
fenceman":3r7oxryt said:
Replacement heifers
I guess the whitefaced one might be a little small :cboy:

Are those home breed heifers

Yes
Is the sire angus are those the calves form the cows in the other pics. I am just curious how you get such uniform calves from those mixed cows

ez14":2fq1b8cr said:
fenceman":2fq1b8cr said:
Replacement heifers
I guess the whitefaced one might be a little small :cboy:

Are those home breed heifers

Yes[/quote]
Is the sire angus are those the calves form the cows in the other pics. I am just curious how you get such uniform calves from those mixed cows[/quote]

Yes their all off when you would call commercial cows. My uncle runs a herd of highbrow registered Angus. I buy my bulls from him. I'll post a pic of the one these are off of. Unbelievable ability to paint everything jet black.

Latest posts