What’s everyone using for minerals.

Help Support CattleToday:

The plants in your pasture and how you fertilize also matters. It's best to have a custom mix if you can. I use a small concrete mixer to mix my own. I find that I can get a lot more bang for my buck and can very my mix throughout the season; adjusting magnesium, vitamins, and potassium etc. as my pasture conditions change.
Where do you find the loose minerals like magnesium, vitamins, potassium

The number one thing we feed for mineral is alfalfa hay. We also use an occasional salt block.
To me feeding loose minerals is like lighting your money on fire . Most of loose mineral isn't absorbed by cattle and what is takes to long to get their levels where they need to be .
We also use multimin90
Actually, it is the blocks that are wasting money. Loose monerals are a lot more efficient and less costly than a block.; An animal can lick a block til its tounge is raw and bleeing, and won;t get the amount of salt or mineras that it will with one tounge swipe of loose.

Actually, it is the blocks that are wasting money. Loose monerals are a lot more efficient and less costly than a block.; An animal can lick a block til its tounge is raw and bleeing, and won;t get the amount of salt or mineras that it will with one tounge swipe of loose.
Umm maybe you should actually read what I wrote.
Never said anything about feeding mineral block. Said I occasionally used SALT block.
Mineral even if it is loose if it isn't bioavailable to cattle is a waste of money !
What is your personal experience Warren?
I thought them corriente Cattle you raise didn't need none of that modern stuff like minerals , vaccines ect?

Last edited:
Umm maybe you should actually read what I wrote.
Never said anything about feeding mineral block. Said I occasionally used SALT block.
Mineral even if it is loose if it isn't bioavailable to cattle is a waste of money !
What is your personal experience Warren?
I thought them corriente Cattle you raise didn't need none of that modern stuff like minerals , vaccines ect?
The same holds true for salt blocks as well, loose is better and less expensive. And maybe you haven't read what I have wrote about our operation. I have stated many, many a time, that the only inputs we ever have is minerals and salt.

Maybe in your area . Loose is cheaper . Not in mine. Especially when you consider the amount that is actually consumed vs the amount wasted.

Maybe in your area . Loose is cheaper . Not in mine. Especially when you consider the amount that is actually consumed vs the amount wasted.
What do you mean "actually consumed vs the amount wasted"?
If you provide loose mineral in a decent mineral feeder, there should not be ANY waste.

What do you mean "actually consumed vs the amount wasted"?
If you provide loose mineral in a decent mineral feeder, there should not be ANY waste.
Ok so even manufacturers of loose cattle mineral advertise use our loose mineral mix it will reduce your 10 to 15 percent waste compared to other brands . But there is not ANY waste got it.🙄

Latest posts