What’s everyone using for minerals.

Help Support CattleToday:

Why are you trying to avoid salt?

We can get free soil tests done by University of Kentucky. Mine shows I am low in Phos.
I put iodized salt out - free choice. Also free choice minerals. And injectable Multimin twice a year. I'm in north central Washington so I feed alfalfa during the winter months. Also wheat straw.

I'm in the process of finishing up the rest of our minerals that we have in stock.

We are switching from a brand called Rolf minerals which the mineral content is based on 2kg VS Balanz Mineral salts which the mineral content is based on 1kg. I'm basically doing this based on the fact that our calf's weaning weights are terrible IMO, the body condition in the lactating cows is horrible as well. Cattle are all grass fed.

My only concern Is that the higher concentration might be overkill what do you guys think? What are you guys using?

Common practice were the cattle are is that we add pure salt mixed to minerals based on a 1:1 ratio.

This is for a cow-calf operation.

Thanks in advance.
Seasonally I use KayDees CLR (Calving, Lactation, Rebreeding blend), but other than that trace mineral blocks. They show little interest in loose minerals in the green grass season. Maybe that's because with the drought in North Dakota this summer they were mostly eating dirt :)

I use Burkmans mineral a Ky company. I bought one bag of purnia wind and rain several years ago. I poured it out had 3 links of conveyer chain 2 rusty bolts and a nut in it. I would never feed a purnia product to anything again after that.

Last year I used the Right Now Bronze from Cargill. This year I switched to Foundation 365; the cows seem to like it.

Has anyone else noticed Purina Wind and Rain is getting hard to get? Price is up about 25% from last year too. We've been waiting about 4 weeks for a bulk load from the local feed store, and they are out of individual bags.

Has anyone else noticed Purina Wind and Rain is getting hard to get? Price is up about 25% from last year too. We've been waiting about 4 weeks for a bulk load from the local feed store, and they are out of individual bags.
No idea why it would be hard to get but ingredient prices are up consistory I understand the higher prices.

25%. WOW!

it has always been kind of hard to find around here, but one local feed store carries it and seems to always have it when I go in. price was the same as last year when I got some about 10 days ago.

it has always been kind of hard to find around here, but one local feed store carries it and seems to always have it when I go in. price was the same as last year when I got some about 10 days ago.
Really?? We seem to have a Purina store on every corner and they have plenty of product. Bought mineral last week.

Really?? We seem to have a Purina store on every corner and they have plenty of product. Bought mineral last week.
town to the east has a local co-op and an independent feed store (where I get the W and R), town to the west (where we do most shopping) has an independent, a wallyworld and ace that carry a bit of feed and salt blocks, and a Tractor Supply, where I used to order it from, but that place is full of incompetent kids or retired guys and never gets much right. I don't care for it at all. wrote to a "local" Purina/Land-o-Lakes rep I met at a BQA seminar and she informed me of the place in the town to the east. I don't even know if there are any Purina stores in Tucson. That is a 60 mile one way drive.

I'm curious as to what folks are paying for decent mineral in different areas. It's in the neighborhood of $1,600 CAD / ton up here, and I was told the other day it's going up $200 per ton.

I'm curious as to what folks are paying for decent mineral in different areas. It's in the neighborhood of $1,600 CAD / ton up here, and I was told the other day it's going up $200 per ton.
the Wind and Rain went from $29/bag to 31 this month so that is $1240 US. I mostly only started using this a year ago. It was quite the sticker shock from loose TM salt that we have used for generations, but it sure seems like it took them through a REALLY bad fall/winter/early summer last year so I am going to stay with it another year for sure. I need to go through the reciept pile to see how much we actually used last year. They didn't have it in front of them 100% of the time but close.

Mineral price depends on freight cost to get it to you.
Our mineral hasn't gone up much, but the freight sure has.

Mineral with more Phos costs more as phos is the most expensive ingredient in mineral.
You have to compare apples to apples.
We have a spring promotion coming up in our area, buy 9 bags get one free.

Latest posts