Lutalyse for retained placenta

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
When do you give Lutalyse to help a cow shed her after birth.
It been 48 hours. Been a long time since I've dealt with this issue, done how I've understood give it at 3 days. Is that right, or should I go ahead?

Disclaimer: I am not a vet so in my experience only…we will ideally estrumate or lutalyse 10-12 days post calving on a RP…over 30 years experience with this protocol. The zone is 10-14 days post calving so anytime in that timeframe is what we have been instructed. On hard calvings or assists we will give those girls a shot of oxytocin immediately post calving basically when calf drops and adrenaline still flowing, to tone up that uterus post calving. I do see benefit on retentions and breed back in these cases.

Prostaglandin(Lutalyse) and Oxytocin are the hormones than will help them clean. The receptors for oxytocin are mostly gone after 72 hours post partum. Think of when a calf is bunting an udder, this releases oxytocin which aids in the let down of milk and also helps clean.

Most vets these days will tell you to do nothing when it comes to cleaning one unless you start to notice infection

Latest posts