Vaccines for the bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
Since everybody else has had their vaccines and now I'm ready to do the bull, what to I give. The rest had the "just once PMH in", Covexin 8 and cattle master gold lp5. All of these vaccines are "use all at opening and toss." I've looking at a pneumonia vaccine where you give a shot, then 4 weeks later give again. What else besides maybe a blackleg and pinkeye combo should I need. I would give him the same as the girls but for just one dose that's very expensive as they come in 5 dose minimums. I want him to be covered and looking for best way to go. Also since he had "just once PMH in" for the last 3-4 years, would i need the second shot as directed or would one shot be ok?? I need to order by tomorrow to get it shipped to arrive by Wednesday of next week. I like to get it shipped Tuesday to arrive Wednesday. Thanks

Disregard my advice as I do not know your local conditions nor the vaccines you have available however I will start the conversation with my thoughts. How important is it covering him for the respiratory diseases? In my situation with cattle on grass all year round we don't have problems with pneumonia. It is mainly a problem with young animals and the stress with entering a feedlot and is rarely a problem in a mature animal on grass.

Ken

Disregard my advice as I do not know your local conditions nor the vaccines you have available however I will start the conversation with my thoughts. How important is it covering him for the respiratory diseases? In my situation with cattle on grass all year round we don't have problems with pneumonia. It is mainly a problem with young animals and the stress with entering a feedlot and is rarely a problem in a mature animal on grass.

Ken
thanks for reply. They have been on grass all year but just pasture grass and no special type grass. Mostly Bermuda grass. The only reason for my concern is about 4 years ago I had bought a Black Angus bull and the guy said he had all shots needed. This was my first dealing with this guy and I accepted the fact he had his shots, and don't get me wrong, he may have given him shots but what kind I don't know?? Picked him up in late September and March of next year he came down with pneumonia. I didn't know it for a couple days and one evening he didn't come up when twice a week I would feed a little cotton seed just to keep them coming into pens. I went to the woods and there he was, standing in the trees. I moved him on out to pasture and he went to the girls and ate a little. Next evening same thing. I was working a day job at that time and it was 5:00pm when I got in from work. He came up but didn't go into pens. It was a Monday the first going after him, Tuesday was the second time. I call 5 different Vets trying to get somebody to come out. None of them done large animals but one and he said it was a bit far for him to come. I was off on on phone every chance I could and finally decided to call my sale barn. He told me his vet would come look at him but he was hard to get. Finally Friday I got a hold of him and he said it would be Monday before he could come. I told him ok and I tried some more calls with no luck. My vet that takes care of my dog had cows but was out of town on vacation for the week. I knew he won't come out of office but he would listen and help me out. The vet I had gotten a hold of was close to 100 miles from me. I herded my bull over to a small pasture across the road from my big pastures and tied him to a tree. He never resisted me tying him up. About an hour later, the vet got here that morning about 10:30am. He said he has pneumonia in the advance stage. He said he had a shot he could give him that was $10.00 a hundred and his guess he would go about 1900 pounds. He also said it would cure him or kill him because of how far he was with the pneumonia. I said give it to him. He gave it to him about 11:00am and told me if he was living at 6:00pm that evening, he would be living the next morning. He died around 1:00pm same day of shot. This Vet is a good vet and I have learned to move quickly at any sign of possible problem I see today and still see tomorrow to make my move and get the medicine they need and give it ASAP. I know this was a lengthy reply but I don't want to lose him. He appears to be in good health and has watch me rebuild my corral everyday this week I worked on it.

ViraShield 6 VL5, 7way. That's bare minimum. My breeding age cattle also get multi min 90, wormed and poured.
Unless it's fly season or you have a problem, the pinkeye is kinda pointless this time of year.

"The rest had the "just once PMH in", Covexin 8 and cattle master gold lp5. All of these vaccines are "use all at opening and toss.""
I was not aware that Covexin 8 was a open and toss. You might want to check that.

My Vet has warned that the CDT type vaccines, which I think would include Covexin 8, will occupy the majority of the immune system. So other vaccines administered at the same time via injection will not get full response. I assume that is why efficacy of vaccines is often stated at 70+/-%. The IN vaccines will not be effective. I give CDT vaccines alone and wait several weeks for the others. No need to think that I am doing something but just spinning my wheels, spending money and leaving the cattle unprotected.

The IN vaccines are good insurance. And if you can find it, there are single dose vials.

"The rest had the "just once PMH in", Covexin 8 and cattle master gold lp5. All of these vaccines are "use all at opening and toss.""
I was not aware that Covexin 8 was a open and toss. You might want to check that.

My Vet has warned that the CDT type vaccines, which I think would include Covexin 8, will occupy the majority of the immune system. So other vaccines administered at the same time via injection will not get full response. I assume that is why efficacy of vaccines is often stated at 70+/-%. The IN vaccines will not be effective. I give CDT vaccines alone and wait several weeks for the others. No need to think that I am doing something but just spinning my wheels, spending money and leaving the cattle unprotected.

The IN vaccines are good insurance. And if you can find it, there are single dose vials.
Covexin 8 and Cavalry 9 are killed and not one 'n done.

Interesting information from your vet. Quite a few years ago, my vet said to make sure and give CDT on one side and Vira Shield on the other.

It's unfortunate that you didn't vaccinate him the same time as the cows, you wouldn't be in the predicament with not being able to get 'one shot' doses.
As what to vaccinate for....... no idea, I don't know what the 'needs' for your area are, but I would say you should vaccinate him the same as the cows. Most likely that will mean you will have to give him a booster shot since it sounds like it will be his first round of vaccines. And that timing depends on which vaccines you end up choosing.
You don't have a Vet you can talk to about advice on which Vaccines to use?

Covexin 8 and cattle master gold- Vet said

He gets Vira Shield 6 + VL5 Cattle Vaccine and Bovilis 20/20 Vision 7 with Spur this week. And the left over I can use on some
calves for for their shots when I need. Bull will get his second round when ever he needs it. I think in 4 to 5 weeks.
Bull has had vaccines for last three or four years, just haven't had any this year. Yet,

If he had all his original shots for the last couple years you don't have to do the booster shot just because you are a little late with him this year. Unless you switch to a different type of vaccine.

If he had all his original shots for the last couple years you don't have to do the booster shot just because you are a little late with him this year. Unless you switch to a different type of vaccine.
This will be a different vaccine. The other was "Once PMH In" , this was a nasal injection in nostril. The kind I have coming in tomorrow is a shot sub q. Give first dose the 4-5 weeks later you give another.

It's unfortunate that you didn't vaccinate him the same time as the cows, you wouldn't be in the predicament with not being able to get 'one shot' doses.
As what to vaccinate for....... no idea, I don't know what the 'needs' for your area are, but I would say you should vaccinate him the same as the cows. Most likely that will mean you will have to give him a booster shot since it sounds like it will be his first round of vaccines. And that timing depends on which vaccines you end up choosing.
You don't have a Vet you can talk to about advice on which Vaccines to use?
Sorry do late posting back but been tied up being a taxi service. My vet started me on the Covexin8 and Cattlemaster gold 5 years ago. This year the bull s getting Vira Shield and another vaccine for blackleg, and other things compatible to covexin 8, I'll have to give a repeat in 4/5 weeks.

Latest posts