Sizing up the bull

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
I posted this under a reply but can't find it so I'm reposting it.
Ok, did a dry run today to see how bull would fit in all my eyeballing measurements. I set up the front feed box and chest board and headed him down the chute. When he got to the feed stop , he went to eating. The 2 x 12 board was too wide to fit but my back stop board - 2 x 6 fit perfect. He had no room to go forward or to back up. While he ate I stepped up to my side gate and went through the motions like I was giving shots and then to the head to act like I was giving him his nasal vaccine. I stuck my finger about an inch in the nose simulating the squirt of vaccine. When he finished I open the side gate and he step right out into pasture. Worked perfect. All done outside the chute and with a helper to assist me. Next week I give him the vaccines and will take pics. Now that I know this works I'll add carriage head bolts to the butt board stops for added strength to the braces that stops the butt board from moving. I have just decking screws in it now but over time they may rust out. The 3/8" carriage head bolts won't. Lots of prayer went into this and it works! Pics will post on the vaccine day next week.😀

A little planning and work but sounds like you got it figured out.
I think so now. He is a load but when he is between the chest stop and the butt board he can't jump up because there is no room to. I am going to work on now is an automatic back latch gate that once they go into chute and thru the auto back latch gate, forward is the only way to go.

Glad to see you set up the front board BEFORE loading him in your alleyway. Also glad it is working for you.
Thanks, my son in law thought I should have had the vaccines present when we caught him but I explained it to him why I didn't. First off the vaccines are a use or loose type vaccine. When mixed it has to be used. If the chute set up was not correct, I would not have the time or maybe even the materials to correct it. He also mention while we had him in there maybe to go get it and mix it then. My thought was test it first, then let him out so he sees he won't be in there too long. Now I can make some find tune adjustments and next week in less than 10 minutes we can put him in the chute and have him out to pasture. Thank GOD for that.🙏🙏

I posted this under a reply but can't find it so I'm reposting it.
Ok, did a dry run today to see how bull would fit in all my eyeballing measurements. I set up the front feed box and chest board and headed him down the chute. When he got to the feed stop , he went to eating. The 2 x 12 board was too wide to fit but my back stop board - 2 x 6 fit perfect. He had no room to go forward or to back up. While he ate I stepped up to my side gate and went through the motions like I was giving shots and then to the head to act like I was giving him his nasal vaccine. I stuck my finger about an inch in the nose simulating the squirt of vaccine. When he finished I open the side gate and he step right out into pasture. Worked perfect. All done outside the chute and with a helper to assist me. Next week I give him the vaccines and will take pics. Now that I know this works I'll add carriage head bolts to the butt board stops for added strength to the braces that stops the butt board from moving. I have just decking screws in it now but over time they may rust out. The 3/8" carriage head bolts won't. Lots of prayer went into this and it works! Pics will post on the vaccine day next week.😀
Well things didn't go as well as planned. I fed everybody and penned off the bull and the white cow for the vaccines. Turn everyone else out of the corral. The white cow went thru the chute to the head gate. Done her vaccine and worming. Turn her to pasture. My helper started the bull to the chute entrance and he turned around and went back in corral. After twice with same results, I went in to help my helper. He started to try and jump the corral fence and then turned and broke a gate latch and headed out to pasture. He went in to chute last week with no problem. Now my vaccines are mixed (Cattlemaster Gold and Once PMH IN and coven 8 has been opened. I put the syringes back in refrigerator. Will they still be good tomorrow? He has been in the chute several times and I don't know why today he was so resistive to going down chute. The vaccines say once mixed use all up or toss it it out. Ideas please.

I think vaccine is only good for about an hour and a half once mixed.
That's what I was thinking but didn't know how long it held up. Think the Covexin 8 would be good for a few days? It doesn't have to be mix.

If you had problems after all the work and planning you have done, whats going to be your plan for giving the booster in 6 weeks?
This is his annual vaccines. No booster. He has never refuse to go down the chute, maybe a little reluctant at first but always went down. I wonder if he got excited over my helper being in the corral. I don't know, but I know one thing, you don't want him coming after you. My setup works perfect for holding him when i get him into it. It's the getting him into the chute I got to work on.

This is his annual vaccines. No booster. He has never refuse to go down the chute, maybe a little reluctant at first but always went down. I wonder if he got excited over my helper being in the corral. I don't know, but I know one thing, you don't want him coming after you. My setup works perfect for holding him when i get him into it. It's the getting him into the chute I got to work on.
Got ya. I wasn't thinking about it being the annual. Sorry

I use big bottles of Ultrabac, which appears to be a similar product. Seldom use the whole bottle at once. Keep it refrigerated and go in with a new needle each time so it doesn't get contaminated.
I'll look in to this Ultrabac. I'd rather have a straight shot vaccine that I can draw what I need and keep balance refrigerated.