Sizing up the bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Your worry has justification. I would suggest getting your whole handling system built properly before you train the whole herd. Doing things right the first time is the cheapest.
You are 100% correct. If you get a horse hurt or scared the first time you try to load him on a trailer, or get a cow hurt or scared first time you load them or try to get them in a chute or head gate, you will have a hell of a time getting them over it so you can do it right. @tcolvin, the bull will be ok if you are a few months later vaccinating or worming him. Take whatever time you need to build a system that they can't get out of, or get hurt in. The initial investment might be costly, bhut once it is done, it is done. Drill pipe, cable, cross ties, etc will cost more than the portable coral panels you can buy, but it will last your life time. The pic @kenny thomas posted is what can happen with those light corral panels. Sell some cattle if you need to, to get the money to do it right, and the rest of your life, fooling with cattle will be so much easier and less time consuming.

@tcolvin here was the problem "Turn everyone else out of the corral. The white cow went thru the chute to the head gate. Done her vaccine and worming. Turn her to pasture." Next time, leave them all in the corral and run him through 1st. Or at least not last.
I have run into a lot of people that cannot understand that. Same with leaving some behind, that you don't need, when you gather them.
Sometimes it okay, sometimes it creates complications.

Ok, I have made some good changes that needed to be done. I raised the corral to 6 ft at least or more in some places. Cut out the square corner at the begining of chute entrance. Installed a stop gate at chute entrance that adjusts up and down for cows or cslves. Also added a crowding pen out of heavy duty cow panels that lock together. Once cows enter corral all gates are chain hooked. Once closed in crowding pen they are in chute entrance. I hope video of some of these change will load. I'm proud of it, I hope the cows are. Lol
Ps- the back stop gate is made out of 1" galvanized pipe. I have plenty of that on hand and when I see this one perform under real working conditions , I am building a second one for the head gate end that will also be adjustable to length of cow or calf that is in the head gate. I am not the least bit worried that the one at the chute entrance will hold Mr Bull. Hope the video posts.

Attachments

• IMG_8084.MOV
    9.6 MB
Ok, I have made some good changes that needed to be done. I raised the corral to 6 ft at least or more in some places. Cut out the square corner at the begining of chute entrance. Installed a stop gate at chute entrance that adjusts up and down for cows or cslves. Also added a crowding pen out of heavy duty cow panels that lock together. Once cows enter corral all gates are chain hooked. Once closed in crowding pen they are in chute entrance. I hope video of some of these change will load. I'm proud of it, I hope the cows are. Lol
Ps- the back stop gate is made out of 1" galvanized pipe. I have plenty of that on hand and when I see this one perform under real working conditions , I am building a second one for the head gate end that will also be adjustable to length of cow or calf that is in the head gate. I am not the least bit worried that the one at the chute entrance will hold Mr Bull. Hope the video posts.
I know this is a very short video but if I go more than 8 seconds in length it will not load up to site. The wire you see in the video will not be a part of it when it working the cows. It was just used for me to pull the trigger to drop the gate. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8084.MOV
    9.6 MB

I know this is a very short video but if I go more than 8 seconds in length it will not load up to site. The wire you see in the video will not be a part of it when it working the cows. It was just used for me to pull the trigger to drop the gate. Thanks

No problem, I just don't know what spooked him today, as I said he normally resists a little but then go on in the chute.
This is some corral changes made to make things better. While I was working on corral every cow, calf and bull came in corral while I was working. I had to run them back out so I could finish up, hope they will want to come on when I need them. Lol

I posted this under a reply but can't find it so I'm reposting it.
Ok, did a dry run today to see how bull would fit in all my eyeballing measurements. I set up the front feed box and chest board and headed him down the chute. When he got to the feed stop , he went to eating. The 2 x 12 board was too wide to fit but my back stop board - 2 x 6 fit perfect. He had no room to go forward or to back up. While he ate I stepped up to my side gate and went through the motions like I was giving shots and then to the head to act like I was giving him his nasal vaccine. I stuck my finger about an inch in the nose simulating the squirt of vaccine. When he finished I open the side gate and he step right out into pasture. Worked perfect. All done outside the chute and with a helper to assist me. Next week I give him the vaccines and will take pics. Now that I know this works I'll add carriage head bolts to the butt board stops for added strength to the braces that stops the butt board from moving. I have just decking screws in it now but over time they may rust out. The 3/8" carriage head bolts won't. Lots of prayer went into this and it works! Pics will post on the vaccine day next week.😀
Ok, today the bull got vaccinated. It wasn't smooth sailing and I was scared he might hurt himself. Everybody went into the crowding pen with no problem. Once in the cows at first we're reluctant to enter chute but when one went, They all went fast. Bull let them go and stood there. I knew then what was on his mine. He tried to jump in a a place or two but couldn't get it together but did break a 2 x 6 top board. I managed to turn him and when he run to chute entrance, I hit him with the hotshot and he went thru the back stop gate and to the other 4 cows with him. He push them forward and tried to jump up on the top chute board but couldn't turn on it enough to get his footing. He had his front right foot on next to top board and I push his foot a loose from fence and stepped up to the chute boards on the out side and gave his shots. The shots don't bother him. It just that he doesn't want to be closed in anywhere in a tight spot. When I finished with shots and opened the side gate I put in for him, he step back and turned out the gate as if nothing was wrong. I'm sorry but could not make any pictures as both of us were busy keeping him moving. The back stop gate worked fine but he never used it. We trip it in place but he just sandwiched the cows and never backed up until I released him. Don't know how the 5 week second dose will go. I am making some more changes before I do it. One is getting the chute to solid sides with no space between boards as it is now. Do you think marine plywood would do the trick?? That way he can't walk up the boards.

Ok, today the bull got vaccinated. It wasn't smooth sailing and I was scared he might hurt himself. Everybody went into the crowding pen with no problem. Once in the cows at first we're reluctant to enter chute but when one went, They all went fast. Bull let them go and stood there. I knew then what was on his mine. He tried to jump in a a place or two but couldn't get it together but did break a 2 x 6 top board. I managed to turn him and when he run to chute entrance, I hit him with the hotshot and he went thru the back stop gate and to the other 4 cows with him. He push them forward and tried to jump up on the top chute board but couldn't turn on it enough to get his footing. He had his front right foot on next to top board and I push his foot a loose from fence and stepped up to the chute boards on the out side and gave his shots. The shots don't bother him. It just that he doesn't want to be closed in anywhere in a tight spot. When I finished with shots and opened the side gate I put in for him, he step back and turned out the gate as if nothing was wrong. I'm sorry but could not make any pictures as both of us were busy keeping him moving. The back stop gate worked fine but he never used it. We trip it in place but he just sandwiched the cows and never backed up until I released him. Don't know how the 5 week second dose will go. I am making some more changes before I do it. One is getting the chute to solid sides with no space between boards as it is now. Do you think marine plywood would do the trick?? That way he can't walk up the boards.
It's a very bad idea to use a hot shot on a bull. Not a great idea with any animal you want to be manageable in the future. Some animals hold a grudge.

Plywood will be fine, Glad you got him vaccinated.
Thanks, I think that's my next move is to put the plywood inside the chute. This will stop him or any cow from catching their foot in chute. Also I'm raising the cute up a little.

Latest posts