Big black angus bull

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
I don't have I know the largest ever bull, but I have a question about something that's bothering me. Last year when I worked my cattle , he was a full house (looked like to me anyway) in the head gate. He got all his shots and squeezed on through. This year he looks bigger. My concern is will he be able to go through the head gate. I had to let it out for him last year to the largest size and it worked then. Should I be concerned or do you think he can get through it. I am one that really plans out what to do ahead of time so as to prevent some problems ahead of time. Like last year the day before working them, the thought hit me that my head gate was anchored by 6 , 5" lag bolts. What if that bull rammed that gate and took it with him to pasture. How would it get it off, shoot him??? This I didn't don't want to do!! So I took 2 chains before he came through chute and chained the bars on my headgate to the 6 x 6 treated posts it's mounted to, top and bottom on both sides. It held him and didn't even budge a bit. But the next week I replaced the lag bolts with 3/8" bolts that went all the way through the Timbers. Has anyone had this fear or am I worrying go nothing. Just want things to go well. It's a Pieffer auto latch headgate. I can't pics if needed. Thanks for input here.

We have facilities that were built by the previous owner... no way to change without extensive tearing out and all that... our bulls for the most part do not fit in the chute or head catch after their 2nd or 3rd year... so, after they get too big, they do not get a BSE, and they get fly sprayed as they go on the trailer.... and we will rotate bulls at pastures after 30-60 days in case one should "go bad"... but we have several bulls, several pastures... and will often add a 2nd bull after 45-60 days "just in case"... not ideal situation... and have discussed other options... but then again... most all the bulls are very quiet and fairly easy to work around... use a dart gun if we have to...
We will use a halter to catch them in the small pen at the barn, and vet will tranq them if they need any work done.... they will all put their heads into a pan with grain and easy to put a halter on them and snug to an upright at the barn that is part of the structure's framework... We can crowd them a bit partway into the alley to the chute to give them shots, holding them against the side wall of the chute.... they actually are usually much easier to work with than a few of the "stupid cows" we still have....
Our chute does have a side gate so have let out a few that have squeezed their way up the alley into the chute. That side gate has been a godsend for working with a cow in the chute, that I am trying to graft a calf on also...

I run the bulls into the chute and "catch" their head then close the back gate. Because of their neck size the headgate won't hold them from going backwards (that's what the back gate is for), but it keeps them from going forward.

Allows us to vaccinate, fly tag, BSE, and doctor as needed.

I just quit working mine when they get that big. Why risk it. I worm with pellets if I think they need that, other wise they get nothing until they go to vet for a soundness exam.

I had one years ago get in a saloon door headgate and he couldn't get out. Luckily he was gentle enough that he stood there for a hour while I disassembled the darn thing.

I don't have I know the largest ever bull, but I have a question about something that's bothering me. Last year when I worked my cattle , he was a full house (looked like to me anyway) in the head gate. He got all his shots and squeezed on through. This year he looks bigger. My concern is will he be able to go through the head gate. I had to let it out for him last year to the largest size and it worked then. Should I be concerned or do you think he can get through it. I am one that really plans out what to do ahead of time so as to prevent some problems ahead of time. Like last year the day before working them, the thought hit me that my head gate was anchored by 6 , 5" lag bolts. What if that bull rammed that gate and took it with him to pasture. How would it get it off, shoot him??? This I didn't don't want to do!! So I took 2 chains before he came through chute and chained the bars on my headgate to the 6 x 6 treated posts it's mounted to, top and bottom on both sides. It held him and didn't even budge a bit. But the next week I replaced the lag bolts with 3/8" bolts that went all the way through the Timbers. Has anyone had this fear or am I worrying go nothing. Just want things to go well. It's a Pieffer auto latch headgate. I can't pics if needed. Thanks for input here.
Everyone has consistently gave the same advice: Put in a side gate if it doesn't already have one. Growing up, my grandpa's facilities were all made of cross ties and rough cut lumber. He liked young, 900-1000lb bulls. Once one got on up in age and got about 13-1500 lbs, too big for the working chute, he'd sell it and buy another young un.

I agree, head gate won't generally hold a good size bull. Some of my cows are too big to go out the headgate. But, my chute has a side gate.
I cannot imagine using a bull on my cattle that have not been fully vaccinated each year.
If you have an alleyway leading to the chute, you can treat in it and back him out.
Or just put him in your chute WITHOUT the headlock, treat and back out. You can safely have a rope tied on one side, drape under his neck and tie to other side to keep his head UP.

We use an alley for big bulls and some cows. Bought a registered cow that was chute sour and the reason she was sold. I could scratch her and do anything in an alley. But she wasn't going in a chute. Have never had any issues with her daughters. Imagine she had a bad experience at some point. If there is a need too put a big bull or cow in a chute for something we can't do in an alley we take them to our vet. He has a bigger chute and one that lays on it's side if needed. He lets all big cattle out a side gate on the chute.

How about a side gate to make it easy? I never try to catch a bull in the headgate. Just put the rear control (board, post or gate) squeeze a little and do whatever.
That what I have done now, added a side gate. Thanks

Latest posts