Sizing up the bull

Help Support CattleToday:

The big plus is there line of sight is making them want to go forward. It makes it easier on you and the cattle. Pretty simple to put cattle where they want to be.

We have a black vinyl product called polybelt that I have had in my alley way for over 16 years now and it has held up well. It is stiff enough to stop anything putting its foot through. It was pretty cheap too.

Ken
I've seen people use wide, used conveyor belt that's been discarded as it wears out. Lots of feedlots around here must have a good source because it's used a lot.

Doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive to line the inside of the alleyway. Wood will take a beating over time and will rot in the weather more easily. Keep that in mind depending on how long you want to use that set up. As for making the sides higher. You could make the side, which you don't work the cattle from, higher and leave the side you work on lower.
It's easy to raise all the sides up, but then you will probably need a raised 'walk way' beside that alleyway too, so you can reach in.
If it were me I would try to line the inside of the alleyway, so they can't use the side walls to climb up anymore and maybe make the 'outside' sidewall a bit higher. I'd give that a try before adding more material, time and energy to that set up.
That's just my five cents, everybody has their own ideas.

P.S.: Hot shot, put the hot shot into the cupboard and only bring it out when you are loading to ship/sell cattle. Cattle aren't too thrilled going into the alleyway to begin with, as something usually happens once they're in. Something they don't really care for, getting zapped on top of it just doesn't make friends.

Doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive to line the inside of the alleyway. Wood will take a beating over time and will rot in the weather more easily. Keep that in mind depending on how long you want to use that set up. As for making the sides higher. You could make the side, which you don't work the cattle from, higher and leave the side you work on lower.
It's easy to raise all the sides up, but then you will probably need a raised 'walk way' beside that alleyway too, so you can reach in.
If it were me I would try to line the inside of the alleyway, so they can't use the side walls to climb up anymore and maybe make the 'outside' sidewall a bit higher. I'd give that a try before adding more material, time and energy to that set up.
That's just my five cents, everybody has their own ideas.

P.S.: Hot shot, put the hot shot into the cupboard and only bring it out when you are loading to ship/sell cattle. Cattle aren't too thrilled going into the alleyway to begin with, as something usually happens once they're in. Something they don't really care for, getting zapped on top of it just doesn't make friends.
Makes sense. I fed cotton seed this evening and I made sure my bull went into the corral to eat. He stopped outside the corral to eat with some more cows that were eating but I came thru and walked him on into corral. I have two pens that are cattle panels and I put about 6 cows to three different pens which the corral is part of, hence this keeps them familiar with the chute area. I always send the bull to the corral. He was no problem, he stopped off in the first pen and I talked him to the second pen them to the corral where he ate with 5 other cows. He is not wild or aggressive, it's just he doesn't like being in close areas and yo be made go in the chute. I wonder what he would do if when I put him in the crowding pen with the 5 or five other cows and just let some cows go in chute and just leave him be, would eventually just walk into the chute entrance.? I don't think I'll use the hotshot on him any more. What you and others have said makes sense.

Seems if you pen him with a few other cows and the only way out of the pen is through the alley and out the gate exiting the alley he would get used to it and be no problem. If he only gets caught in the alley one out of ten times it will be no big deal for him going through it when you need to work him.

It's probably 3/16". We just used self drilling (stainless because of the dairy) screws to install them. I'd consider just short flat headed roofing nails in an alley. We used a table saw to cut ours but I'd bet a person could score it a few times with a razor knife to cut it.

It's probably 3/16". We just used self drilling (stainless because of the dairy) screws to install them. I'd consider just short flat headed roofing nails in an alley. We used a table saw to cut ours but I'd bet a person could score it a few times with a razor knife to cut it.
Is it just called shower board or does it have another name? Sorry for so many questions but I'm interested in this. Is it plastic or maybe fiberglass?

Seems if you pen him with a few other cows and the only way out of the pen is through the alley and out the gate exiting the alley he would get used to it and be no problem. If he only gets caught in the alley one out of ten times it will be no big deal for him going through it when you need to work him.
That's a good thought. I think that's what I'll start doing with him and let him get use to it. Thanks

Is it just called shower board or does it have another name? Sorry for so many questions but I'm interested in this. Is it plastic or maybe fiberglass?
Just go in and ask for "FRP". It used to be called Fiberglass Resin Panel and it was fiberglass. Now it's been replaced by plastic but anyone worth asking in a hardware store will know what you're talking about.

And I have my doubts about it lasting in the sun and weather.

Just go in and ask for "FRP". It used to be called Fiberglass Resin Panel and it was fiberglass. Now it's been replaced by plastic but anyone worth asking in a hardware store will know what you're talking about.

And I have my doubts about it lasting in the sun and weather.
In the sun and weather might be a problem. I'll check on it and look at it . Thanks

You could also look into using EPDM rubber roofing. I used some I had left over from a roofing job to put on a couple of my gates.

Latest posts