Young bull

Help Support CattleToday:

We were using the California bands; they were a little pricey but effective. My brother told his wife it was her job to scout the pastures and find the "used" ones so we could reuse them......

I'm curious why you would band 1300# bulls? Aren't they going to slaughter pretty much immediately? Why band anything that big?
These would be special cases in tough years if no one wants to buy them I don't want them hanging around. I want to make sure they do go to slaughter and not end up in some ones cow paddock as a bargain bull.

Ken

I ordered some of the California bands last week. They seem very simple and straight forward to apply. I could not justify the price of a Calicrate bander, they are almost $900 here. My plan would be to use them on 600kg yearling bulls (1320lbs). The yearling bulls I am developing to sell in September however our cattle market has had a big downturn and if it looks like there won't be much interest in them they will get a band and sold once they drop off so I don't have to put any more feed into them.

Ken
how much of a downturn? reason?

how much of a downturn? reason?
Young cattle are selling at about half of what they were 12 months ago, even 6 months ago.
Herd rebuilding from our big drought a couple of years ago seems to be over, more calves have come forward at weaning to be sold this autumn than was anticipated. The forecast for an El Nino this coming summer has stopped restockers from buying. There is some sentiment that the cautiousness is over done and things will improve a bit if summer turns out better than expected. I don't hear of many people complaining as most realise we had it pretty good for the last few years and historically prices are still above average. Just a little better I would be happy with.
Processors are not working at capacity due to inability to hire the number of skilled workers they are after so they have a bit of a back log especially of cull cows to get through.
Ken

I use a California bander for most. I use a little pair of vice grips to grip the band as it allows for a better pull. I band between 400 and 600 pounds usually.

I also have a tri bander and an xl. They work easily too.

All bands work better when they're warm. I put them in my pocket prior to using them if it's cold outside.
I'm with ya on cal.bander and use the little vicegrips too! Stings for an hour then numb

Young cattle are selling at about half of what they were 12 months ago, even 6 months ago.
Herd rebuilding from our big drought a couple of years ago seems to be over, more calves have come forward at weaning to be sold this autumn than was anticipated. The forecast for an El Nino this coming summer has stopped restockers from buying. There is some sentiment that the cautiousness is over done and things will improve a bit if summer turns out better than expected. I don't hear of many people complaining as most realise we had it pretty good for the last few years and historically prices are still above average. Just a little better I would be happy with.
Processors are not working at capacity due to inability to hire the number of skilled workers they are after so they have a bit of a back log especially of cull cows to get through.
Ken
I can see the US having the same situation when it comes to herd rebuilding here. prices are still high and the drought is still a factor in many areas. motivated workers are a problem in our industry too and that creates the change to more ways to operate with less labor.