Big foot and a dead calf

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Today was not my favorite day!
Cow with the big foot is Brown Cow (the one with the hat) I hope I can get her on the trailer. She won't put any pressure on that foot at all! Not wet here. I don't suspect foot rot. I think she may have something in her foot or an injury of some other sort. Any advice is greatly appreciated! I'm gonna try her in the chute and see if I can find anything tmrw. IF I can get her loaded
20230928_190644.jpg20230928_190700.jpg
And her Sister!
Sally at the lease place.
Not a clue what happened here. It does appear the calf had been up, as the hoof pads have some wear. First calf of the year dead as hammer. DANG IT!
20230929_190107.jpg

Brown cow really looks like she has an infection in that leg. If you look close at her picture it looks like she has a split in her outer claw which probably where it started. Antibiotics and soak the foot in Epsom salt water if you can.
Thank you. Yes. I seen the Crack as well. Running vertical up that outside toe.
Antibiotics will require a trip to the vet as I have none. I sure wanna get a feel of it as well. I bet it's hot too

That looks like something that has been brewing for a while Murray. In the 2nd pic it looks like an abscess just about ready to break through the skin above the coronary ban. It would have tracked up the hoof wall and is now looking to break out.

Ken
Thanks Ken
What is preferred treatment? I cannot find anything poked into her foot. She was laying down this morning. No odor that I can smell. Is it something that will eventually pop like a normal abscess? Should I Lance it? Wait til Monday for the vet?

@TCRanch yeah. Her front toes ain't the greatest. She should be about an 8 yr old. So crazy the two of em having problems this year. Sisters... sheesh.

Does her hoof have a sand crack? Once it made it up to the coronet band, it caused irritation and it infected. Soaking it in epsom salt will draw the infection out. Antibiotics recommended.

About 15 ml of drax or the generic version (increxxa etc..), swelling will be noticeably less in a day or 2. Vet office just gives me a syringe preloaded if I tell them what it's for. LA300 is pretty common for foot stuff around this area as well. Vet looking at it would give you peace of mind though.

It's looking fairly pointed and my perception of the photo suggests a bit shiny. Have a feel and see if it is getting a bit soft there. I would be inclined to give it a stab but may need to go in a bit. I wouldn't use antibiotics until after it has drained, they tend to slow it down a bit so you haven't got the pressure behind it to get good drainage.

Ken

Have a talk with the cow and tell her to stay off that foot for 2 weeks. I lost two really good bulls to foot issues this year. If the vet can xray it I'd have that done before you waste a bunch of time and money on her. Draxxin will work if it hasn't gone too far.

I wonder if that calf was in the birth canal too long or maybe she stepped on it. Also sometimes the sac will get stuck on there head and suffocate them. She'll eat the sac and you'll never know it. I've saved two calves by just happening to be there. Both had stopped breathing when I got there.

Thank you to all!!
We will being going to the vet Monday.

@Lucky
That cow was still retaining when I found em. I have a graphic pic but hesitate to post it. I'm gonna do it anyway.
Turn away if squeamish. I believe something got to the calf when mama was off grazing. But who knows....

20230929_190151.jpg

Thank you. Yes. I seen the Crack as well. Running vertical up that outside toe.
Antibiotics will require a trip to the vet as I have none. I sure wanna get a feel of it as well. I bet it's hot too
Secure her, clean the crack well, a length of grass rope works well. Antibiotics and bleach on the foot work well together. She will be fine. Hope you skinned the dead calf and found an orphan.

Thank you to all!!
We will being going to the vet Monday.

@Lucky
That cow was still retaining when I found em. I have a graphic pic but hesitate to post it. I'm gonna do it anyway.
Turn away if squeamish. I believe something got to the calf when mama was off grazing. But who knows....

View attachment 35597
Birds can open them up in a hurry just like that.

Vets prognosis wasn't good on my cow. Hoof removal was an option, but she's open too. Bull was trying his darndest but she came in season same time he was injured.
She will be in my freezer in a couple weeks.
@$&÷!!!!
Screenshot_20210226-064443_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201005-181907_Gallery.jpg

CANNOT find a baby calf anywhere for the other cow. She may get bred and sold this spring. Ain't decided yet. Cow market is down a tick or three right now. But she would yield well. Holding pattern for now...

Vets prognosis wasn't good on my cow. Hoof removal was an option, but she's open too. Bull was trying his darndest but she came in season same time he was injured.
She will be in my freezer in a couple weeks.
@$&÷!!!!
View attachment 35709View attachment 35710

CANNOT find a baby calf anywhere for the other cow. She may get bred and sold this spring. Ain't decided yet. Cow market is down a tick or three right now. But she would yield well. Holding pattern for now...
Did the vet say it was just an abscess or something else?

Did the vet say it was just an abscess or something else?
Outside claw was de-laminated?
Coming off her foot/leg. He suspected hoof rot that led to infection. Tho, he nor I could smell anything afoul. And we have been pretty dang dry as of late. This has only been going on a week or two.
We also discussed possibility of just simply genetics....

The genetic thing worries me. I have her last 2 heifers by Richard. One should calve anytime now. The other will be bred in a few months. Hope his side improves their feet

Latest posts