We may all be missing the boat, by not raising Corrientes!

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm probably too old to get to where I want for myself, but I have a very young son I'm hoping to set up fairly well myself. If he doesn't want it when he gets there, maybe someone else in the area will.

The beefmaster breed has always got me wanting a herd of em. I should say, caught my eye... I like the look of em.

Are they typically larger animals tho?
I guess a 1200lb beefmaster wouldn't really be a beefmaster eh?
Beefmaster genetics are 50% Brahma, 25% Hereford and 25% Shorthorn. So, a little more Brahma in them than Braford or Santa Gertrudis. But, they do have the same amount of Br as the F1 Br x Her cows that make such great brood cows. I don't know that there'd be much difference either way between the 2 as far as brood cows. From what limited dealings I have had with Beefmasters, they were all good natured, calm cattle, especially the bulls.

I'm trying to get my family to run some Red Angus bulls over Beefmasters. We have done black Brangus before and gotten calves like the one above which every one likes but they do not like black cattle. I'm hoping to get a little cleaner, de died, ep red, mot faced calves.
Back in the 70's, there was man, and his brother and dad, that had places in several counties around me,. and he raised registered Braford, Santa Gertrudis, Beefmaster and Red Brangus. I reckon they didn;t like black cattle either! But, this was before CAB, too. He sold seed stock...registered bulls and heifers. He rented my great-uncle's place, after he died, to keep his bulls in when they weren;t with the cows, and also raised his bull calves there to sell. Uncle Jeff had 3 awesome fish ponds on the place, and after this man started keeping bulls there, the fences stayed in great shape, because people were scared to climb them and get in the pastures! LOL I can't think of the man's name now... have CRS disease real bad,....but you'd see the name of his outfit in magazines like Progressive Farmer, etc. Any way, about 1980 or so, he quit raising seed stock. His dad had passed, and his brother moved to south GA, and I just imagine record keeping etc, was hard back then before computers. Very labor intensive. I do know that before he quit he sold more red Brangus than anything.. I guess because they were all polled. But, when he got out of the registered business, he kept these Braford, Gert, Beef master and Red Brangus cows, and just ran a commercial cow calf operation with them. But, he used registered Red Angus bulls on all of them, and produced a very consistent crop of polled red calves every year. The calves from the Braford and Beefmaster might have some white or mottled faces, while the Red Brangus and Gerts had just about all solid red calves, but size, color or shade of red, and their look was fairly consistent. He never did replace any of these cows as they got old and died or were culled...he's just turn one of his places into a subdivision about every year, and move those cows to one of the other places until he just had his home place and Uncle Jeff's place. About 1988 or 89, my cousin called me and said he'd died, and wanted to know if I wanted it for a hayfield.

There are a lot of folks...and I guess most of them are red Angus breeders... that say the the red Angus today, have more of the pure Angus characteristics other than color, than today's black Angus.

You can get that color with several crosses like Simintal, Hereford, Beefmaster, etc and different amounts of Brahman.

That's a tough color to get in an F1 Braford. If some one knows the recipe please share? 😁
The 2 behind him are a lighter color. But same construction.
All I know is they came outta texas somewhere and were supposed to be braford.

Out of old toothless corriente mamas....
🤠

Anyone know this brand?

Attachments

• Resized_IMG_6329.jpeg
    Resized_IMG_6329.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
You can get that color with several crosses like Simintal, Hereford, Beefmaster, etc and different amounts of Brahman.

That's a tough color to get in an F1 Braford. If some one knows the recipe please share? 😁
My client, the Brangus breeder who crossed some with Black Hereford, also did some Black Hereford x Brahma and Brahma x Black Hereford. I was last down there in February when these were calving, and those calves looked similar, only no horns, no faint tiger striping, and I don't think any of the face spots. Like you, I have seen those kind of face markings in Simmental crosses, and Beefmaster. I have seen Longhorns with face markings like that, too, and those markings and striping in LH/Br bucking bulls. The horn shape and position makes me think there may be LH in him somewhere, too.

My client, the Brangus breeder who crossed some with Black Hereford, also did some Black Hereford x Brahma and Brahma x Black Hereford. I was last down there in February when these were calving, and those calves looked similar, only no horns, no faint tiger striping, and I don't think any of the face spots. Like you, I have seen those kind of face markings in Simmental crosses, and Beefmaster. I have seen Longhorns with face markings like that, too, and those markings and striping in LH/Br bucking bulls. The horn shape and position makes me think there may be LH in him somewhere, too.
F1 simbrah some will have goggle eyes..never had a brindle simbrah,raised several..now Beefmaster will can run the gamut on colors and patterns

B was here today fixing a gate that has been an issue. We got to talking calf prices. The boat we are all missing has to do with raising Waygu F-1 calves. Of course you have to have the contacts to get them sold right. But HOLY MOWLY the price he told me. It is no wonder why he bred all his replacement heifers to Waygu bulls.
On the other hand my neighbor sold two pot loads weaned black steers weighing 575 for over $1,000 a head. The calf market is looking good.

B was here today fixing a gate that has been an issue. We got to talking calf prices. The boat we are all missing has to do with raising Waygu F-1 calves. Of course you have to have the contacts to get them sold right. But HOLY MOWLY the price he told me. It is no wonder why he bred all his replacement heifers to Waygu bulls.
On the other hand my neighbor sold two pot loads weaned black steers weighing 575 for over $1,000 a head. The calf market is looking good.
Wish ya could tell me just how long to hold em!

Ah. Mine ain't ready for weanin' yet anyway....

F1 simbrah some will have goggle eyes..never had a brindle simbrah,raised several..now Beefmaster will can run the gamut on colors and patterns
You know, thinking back 40 years or so, when Simmentals first came to this area, they were all red and white, and HUGE, like giant Herefords . There was a man that bought hay from us, that had a herd of them. After his 1st 2 or 3 years, he got rid of his bulls, and started using Brahmas, both red and grey. I don't think he ever had a brindled or tiger striped calf from them either. They all looked like Simmentals did back then, with ears and leather. I bet that face speckling you see in some Beefmasters, comes from the Shorthorn in their breeding.

Murray> Are you sure that is a brand and not just a tag identifier ? I would think the enclosed W would sluff off and leave a
big bare blob if one were using the symbol shown with a hot iron brand.. Just askin' LVR

Wish ya could tell me just how long to hold em!

Ah. Mine ain't ready for weanin' yet anyway....
Your guess is as good as mine. Probably better.

Years ago I came to the conclusion that you had to have enough to make a pot load to get the real money. This year is reinforcing that opinion. There are a lot of different ways to put together enough cattle to fill a pot load.

Last fall I bought a lot of heifers for B. He wanted them to weigh 500-550 and cost no more than $650 a head. He put together 200 of them. Wintered them and kicked them out with bulls in the spring. Plan A to sell them this fall as bred heifers. He preg checked and offered the opens to 3 different guys at $1.43 weighing 750. No takers. So last week they went to the sale and sold for $1.48. I am not sure how many opens there were but just from eye balling the pen there was about 30.

You know, thinking back 40 years or so, when Simmentals first came to this area, they were all red and white, and HUGE, like giant Herefords . There was a man that bought hay from us, that had a herd of them. After his 1st 2 or 3 years, he got rid of his bulls, and started using Brahmas, both red and grey. I don't think he ever had a brindled or tiger striped calf from them either. They all looked like Simmentals did back then, with ears and leather. I bet that face speckling you see in some Beefmasters, comes from the Shorthorn in their breeding.
The Freckle come from Hereford.some bloodlines are known for it..but the shorthorn certainly contributed the color..

Last edited:

Latest posts