We may all be missing the boat, by not raising Corrientes!

Help Support CattleToday:

The beefmaster breed has always got me wanting a herd of em. I should say, caught my eye... I like the look of em.

Are they typically larger animals tho?
I guess a 1200lb beefmaster wouldn't really be a beefmaster eh?
I know a guy crossing beefmaster with Lowline and getting beautiful smaller (11-1200 lb) cows. Super efficient and meaty calves

The beefmaster breed has always got me wanting a herd of em. I should say, caught my eye... I like the look of em.

Not really larger than the Braford.. But your looking at more in the 13 14 hundred pound range..mostly do with being heavier boned and soggy deep body. And Extra leather,but easy fleshing . the disposition tends to be better with beefmaster too..

Depends on the beefmasters. Some are the big, soggy, deep cows but there are some smaller, really clean looking beefmasters that raise heck of a good calves.

There are some 1000-1200 lb beefmasters out there, just have to look for them. Alot of the foundation bred beefmaster bulls are around 1600-1700lbs mature weight. If I ever decide to spend the money and buy a sure enough good set of cows, it will be beefmaster more than likely. I'd look to people that are following more of the foundation breeding. I priced some foundation bred heifers from a guy in Oklahoma, $1500 open heifers-$2000 short bred heifers. His were 1100-1200 lb mature cows. I just can't make myself want to spend that kinda money on cattle, can't make it pencil out.

There are some 1000-1200 lb beefmasters out there, just have to look for them. Alot of the foundation bred beefmaster bulls are around 1600-1700lbs mature weight. If I ever decide to spend the money and buy a sure enough good set of cows, it will be beefmaster more than likely. I'd look to people that are following more of the foundation breeding. I priced some foundation bred heifers from a guy in Oklahoma, $1500 open heifers-$2000 short bred heifers. His were 1100-1200 lb mature cows. I just can't make myself want to spend that kinda money on cattle, can't make it pencil out.
It would be a long term investment. Dang sure wouldn't be a quick turn around on em.
The beefmaster breed doesnt care about color and it bothers me for some reason.
I know it shouldnt.
I'd like a nice set of dark dark red ones without horns, gentle as my Brown cow and her daughter.

It would be a long term investment. Dang sure wouldn't be a quick turn around on em.
The beefmaster breed doesnt care about color and it bothers me for some reason.
I know it shouldnt.
I'd like a nice set of dark dark red ones without horns, gentle as my Brown cow and her daughter.
Most I see are a red or dun but alot of the foundation ones will have horns as that is not considered something worth culling to them and some will have a few spots but there are plenty out there without spots. Now where I think people are getting into the weeds with them is the black ones, funny how every breed is trying to go black, I like the red and dun myself.

The majority of the beefmaster herds were bred up from using BM Bulls on commercial mutts..that's a big reason there's much diversity color and sizes you see...but they focused on the important maternal traits. Like milk,fertility conformation etc...they use to send a field man out to your farm..that's the way they would do it here when beefmaster were hitting they're stride around..then it went to Charolais then Angus or what ever the neighborhood was using..

Last edited:
Take a look at the Lasater Beefmaster, huge variety in color. Totally different than what I would have expected in Beefmasters.

There is a lot of variation, in color of Beefmasters but from what I have seen there are more being bred for solid coloring. Most I see now are some variation of red. getting to be more polled ones too.
My advice would be if anyone wanted Beefmasters is that it is a real good versatile breed but would go with a solid coloring as I have seen commercial herds of mixed cows and a spotted beefmaster bull. Let's just say the calf crops were Christmas tree colorful. Good individual calves just every color and a lot of chrome.

I'm trying to get my family to run some Red Angus bulls over Beefmasters. We have done black Brangus before and gotten calves like the one above which every one likes but they do not like black cattle. I'm hoping to get a little cleaner, deep red, mot faced calves.

great cross,Finding a good Red angus bull like I'd want around here would a chore..now if you want black ,all you got to do is cut some fence wire..sometimes they just show up outa nowhere..

great cross,Finding a good Red angus bull like I'd want around here would a chore..now if you want black ,all you got to do is cut some fence wire..sometimes they just show up outa nowhere..
I've found that going wherever I have to to buy the type of cattle I want vs what's here local had paid off. There's some good stock here, but not exactly what I was looking for. Don't be afraid to make that trip.

I've found that going wherever I have to to buy the type of cattle I want vs what's here local had paid off. There's some good stock here, but not exactly what I was looking for. Don't be afraid to make that trip.
i don't mind traveling for one ...but I've settled down on my Breed choices anymore ..just hope to have a decent herd built by the tIme I dump it in my sons lap