We may all be missing the boat, by not raising Corrientes!

Help Support CattleToday:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210831-211813_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210831-211813_Samsung Internet.jpg
    649.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20210831-211808_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210831-211808_Samsung Internet.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20210831-211929_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210831-211929_Samsung Internet.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 21
I didnt go looking for em. Just stumbled upon them. Couple didnt look bad...🤷‍♂️
Someone will call eventually I'm sure.
Let us know how many people they got lined up to buy em will ya?

Anyone notice the ground they are on and the condition they are in?

That's southeast oklahoma. Lot of brahma and corriente influence down that way.

I have really enjoyed this thread! We have learned a lot about how stock yards in different parts of the country operate. But, I think what Warren was putting before the board was that maximum gross doesn't always equal maximum net. Does TOPPING THE MARKET guarantee that you have maximized profit on your ranch? Could you sell a lesser quality animal at a lesser price or a lighter weight if you reduced your cow costs by an equal or greater amount? If the purchase price of the cow was 1/2 or 1/3 less, would that impact your profitability? If you're running 100 1400 lb. cows, could you run 140 1000 lb. cows and sell more calves for the same or more money? Would that increase your ranch profitability? We strive for maximum profitability per animal. That is wrong. We need to strive for maximum profitability per acre. Think about this and get back to me.

You know, thinking back 40 years or so, when Simmentals first came to this area, they were all red and white, and HUGE, like giant Herefords . There was a man that bought hay from us, that had a herd of them. After his 1st 2 or 3 years, he got rid of his bulls, and started using Brahmas, both red and grey. I don't think he ever had a brindled or tiger striped calf from them either. They all looked like Simmentals did back then, with ears and leather. I bet that face speckling you see in some Beefmasters, comes from the Shorthorn in their breeding.
Simmentals first came to this area, they were all red and white, and HUGE, like giant Herefords .
That's how I remember the first ones I saw.

No they don't do that here. They will sort your cattle by sex, size, color, etc. But they never mix ownership. One of the things is the sales all have ring scales. The calves are getting weighed right as they are sold. In a mixed owner group how would you determine the weight of individual owner's calves. Obviously larger groups will sell better than singles. People work to have uniform groups to sell. I have seen as many as 150 steers sell in one group that all came from a single owner.
We are larger scale here way more than 150 in groups seen up to 580

I have really enjoyed this thread! We have learned a lot about how stock yards in different parts of the country operate. But, I think what Warren was putting before the board was that maximum gross doesn't always equal maximum net. Does TOPPING THE MARKET guarantee that you have maximized profit on your ranch? Could you sell a lesser quality animal at a lesser price or a lighter weight if you reduced your cow costs by an equal or greater amount? If the purchase price of the cow was 1/2 or 1/3 less, would that impact your profitability? If you're running 100 1400 lb. cows, could you run 140 1000 lb. cows and sell more calves for the same or more money? Would that increase your ranch profitability? We strive for maximum profitability per animal. That is wrong. We need to strive for maximum profitability per acre. Think about this and get back to me.
It is hard to argue with Pharo Philosophy which your words reflect. I would add fertility to the mix for a calf on schedule is potentially
more valuable to the operation than a larger calf born in the 3rd month and later of the calving schedule. I have said before on these
pages I do not keep any replacements not born in the 1st 30 days. The mothers must have a calf in the 1st 30 days every year to even consider using their calf in the herd. I may keep the mother if she calves in the 2nd 30 days but I will never keep another calf from her for replacement.
Let me say also you cannot starve fertility into a cow so body condition is critical especially in 1st calf heifers. Many times I have seen
outstanding 1st calf heifers fail to breed back in a timely manner due to being out of condition. Main thing is to tailor your operation to
work within the parameters set by and for yourself and weigh carefully what you read and hear, including this, LVR

There are a lot of ways to maximize net profit. I know of low cost and not so low cost operators who sell off the ranch and wean on the trailer (some require several semi trailers to wean). One thing our home place has done for over 30 years is put several loads of steers with a custom feeder and play the cattle feeding game. Peewees and clunkers go to the sale barn and good steers go to the custom lot. It takes some financial strength to feed them out, but has been a profit center year over year. Calves born February/March, weaned October and turn into meat in June. If you play the feeder game, better genetics pays.

There are a lot of ways to maximize net profit. I know of low cost and not so low cost operators who sell off the ranch and wean on the trailer (some require several semi trailers to wean). One thing our home place has done for over 30 years is put several loads of steers with a custom feeder and play the cattle feeding game. Peewees and clunkers go to the sale barn and good steers go to the custom lot. It takes some financial strength to feed them out, but has been a profit center year over year. Calves born February/March, weaned October and turn into meat in June. If you play the feeder game, better genetics pays.
The people I bought my bulls from for years did this and have been doing it for decades. They run about 400 cows plus they buy one or two hundred calves in the spring. Their bull program started by them keeping 24 bull calves back to sell. It started that if you bought a bull from them they would buy your calves. They eventually quit that because they found to much sickness from other peoples calves. But they kept selling the bulls. There are a few years when retaining ownership that isn't much benefit but others it is huge. They either purchased bull or use AI from the best genetics they could find.

We have been all over the place on these 24 pages! Lots of good info on here, once you filter through the pigeon assaults! So, there are no longer 120 Corriente cows on the place, Someone on these boards ( they can tell who they are if they want to) contacted me and wanted 25 solid colored Corriente cows that were pregnant with their 2nd to 5th calf. My friend only had 16 solids, though. He moved those 16 to his place that has facilities last month, to get them all the shots etc. needed for the health certificate . Poured on Ivermectin, as much for the ticks as for worms. Today they left for their new home. We had no way of knowing if any of these got bred by the Corriente clean-=up bull in June, but the new owner said they'd be fine if a couple had a Corriente calf...just hoped they would be heifers.

Last Friday he bush-hogged the 6-7 acres of Johnson grass by the gate, pens and pond. This will be parking for those coming to the dove shoot Saturday. He has a dove field about 1/2 mile down the road. He parks them there and shuttles them to the dove field. and, we set up tents to feed everyone with there, too. That's where I come in, and I dread this Saturday! This is the first year in GA, opening day begins at dawn instead of 12 noon, as it has been all of my life. I will start the fire in the smokers for the brisket at 4 AM, and gonna fry some deer sausage, wild hog sausage, deer tenderloin and wild hog tenderloin to serve with biscuits for breakfast that morning. At noon they all come back for a Labor day fish fry: Catfish, slaw, hushpuppies and fries, and a LOT of sweet tea. After noon, I will put the chickens, butts and ribs on the smokers. They don't take no where near as long as brisket....I smoke brisket 12 hours. At dusk, everyone comes back over there, and we feed them BBQ and fixins, and cold beer. He does not allow alcohol or even coolers on the dove field, but after the guns are put away, people can enjoy good food, cold beer and music. We will have a generator out there to power the PA and lights for a band. Good times! $250 to shoot that day, and only 200 spots are sold. All proceeds he donates to the county 4H and FFA. He just takes out for food, the seed and fertilizer ( the field is alternating strips of sunflower, corn, millet and peanuts), and the insurance for the event. The net is probably $30k or more, so its is a great thing for the 4H and FFA kids. Those kids and their parents and advisors, do parking, and serving and clean-up...a BIG help. I gotta cook from 4Am til probably 7PM., so I doubt I will get to shoot any Saturday!

When he cut the Johnson Grass last Friday, it had already headed out with seed, and under it, is volunteer wheat and millet from past dove fields. He said after he cut it Friday, it was covered up with dove and wild pigeons Saturday morning. So Monday he bushogged what patches of JG he could get to with his tractor. Probably 30 acres all totalled. Family and friends will shoot this Monday. Anyone who came to the paid hunt Saturday, can come back Monday and shoot either place for free.

Anyway, I will be gone from Friday til Tuesday, so all of you have a safe and happy Labor Day weekend

We have been all over the place on these 24 pages! Lots of good info on here, once you filter through the pigeon assaults! So, there are no longer 120 Corriente cows on the place, Someone on these boards ( they can tell who they are if they want to) contacted me and wanted 25 solid colored Corriente cows that were pregnant with their 2nd to 5th calf. My friend only had 16 solids, though. He moved those 16 to his place that has facilities last month, to get them all the shots etc. needed for the health certificate . Poured on Ivermectin, as much for the ticks as for worms. Today they left for their new home. We had no way of knowing if any of these got bred by the Corriente clean-=up bull in June, but the new owner said they'd be fine if a couple had a Corriente calf...just hoped they would be heifers.

Last Friday he bush-hogged the 6-7 acres of Johnson grass by the gate, pens and pond. This will be parking for those coming to the dove shoot Saturday. He has a dove field about 1/2 mile down the road. He parks them there and shuttles them to the dove field. and, we set up tents to feed everyone with there, too. That's where I come in, and I dread this Saturday! This is the first year in GA, opening day begins at dawn instead of 12 noon, as it has been all of my life. I will start the fire in the smokers for the brisket at 4 AM, and gonna fry some deer sausage, wild hog sausage, deer tenderloin and wild hog tenderloin to serve with biscuits for breakfast that morning. At noon they all come back for a Labor day fish fry: Catfish, slaw, hushpuppies and fries, and a LOT of sweet tea. After noon, I will put the chickens, butts and ribs on the smokers. They don't take no where near as long as brisket....I smoke brisket 12 hours. At dusk, everyone comes back over there, and we feed them BBQ and fixins, and cold beer. He does not allow alcohol or even coolers on the dove field, but after the guns are put away, people can enjoy good food, cold beer and music. We will have a generator out there to power the PA and lights for a band. Good times! $250 to shoot that day, and only 200 spots are sold. All proceeds he donates to the county 4H and FFA. He just takes out for food, the seed and fertilizer ( the field is alternating strips of sunflower, corn, millet and peanuts), and the insurance for the event. The net is probably $30k or more, so its is a great thing for the 4H and FFA kids. Those kids and their parents and advisors, do parking, and serving and clean-up...a BIG help. I gotta cook from 4Am til probably 7PM., so I doubt I will get to shoot any Saturday!

When he cut the Johnson Grass last Friday, it had already headed out with seed, and under it, is volunteer wheat and millet from past dove fields. He said after he cut it Friday, it was covered up with dove and wild pigeons Saturday morning. So Monday he bushogged what patches of JG he could get to with his tractor. Probably 30 acres all totalled. Family and friends will shoot this Monday. Anyone who came to the paid hunt Saturday, can come back Monday and shoot either place for free.

Anyway, I will be gone from Friday til Tuesday, so all of you have a safe and happy Labor Day weekend
Sunuva B!
Sounds like a smokin good time!
Should've let us know earlier tho.....
😂🤣😂🤣

Sunuva B!
Sounds like a smokin good time!
Should've let us know earlier tho.....
😂🤣😂🤣
Well, get up 6 or 8 boxes of #8 shot, and 3 or 4 boxes of Downy dryer sheets ( for the gnats), and come on down! You won;t have to spend a dime on food, I guarantee you that. You can shoot on the Corriente pasture where we will be cooking and partying. After the fish fry at lunch, I won't have to do much except watch the temps on the smokers, til about 6 or 7 when I get the butts off and chop them, and get the briskets off and slice them. So, I will get to shoot some Saturday afternoon. It finally quit raining down there Tuesday, and the forecast for this weekend is clear skies, and cooler and drier weather. I think the high Saturday is only gonna be 92, and the humidity is going down to 90% or less! We will send you home with a cooler full of dove breasts, too! Bring your camera and take some pics of the Kudzu, Johnson Grass, and the 104 Corriente cows that are left, too, if they come down around where we are. Never seen anyone at a good ole Ga dove shoot that didn't have a big time!

Ours opened yesterday morning apparently.
And the neighbor has allowed some folks to stand in the field and blast away!
First time I've seen anyone hunt that place. The ol gal that lived there was in her 90s. She passed a while back. Here comes the changes I guess. 😥

We haven't seen many dove at all, but saw a whole slew of hogs in the pasture next door for the first time in 5 years last night😞 hope their calving has finished.

Latest posts