We may all be missing the boat, by not raising Corrientes!

Help Support CattleToday:

Many remote places do not have wells or electricity to pump water. Those rely on running water or ponds.
It makes sense, there are just very few places that remote here. I see cattle with access to running water here, though that's becoming more and more rare with DNR restrictions. Most fence cattle out of ponds and marshes; that's where cows get into trouble.

I assume that cows spend a lot of time standing in it on hot days. How does it not become an ecosystem of coliforms, lepto, and Johne's? Fish aren't eating
Can't answer that because mine are all on tire troughs or water system. But we actually never noticed much problems before with only ponds.

I assume that cows spend a lot of time standing in it on hot days. How does it not become an ecosystem of coliforms, lepto, and Johne's? Fish aren't eating those.
Not really, you will see some cows or calves just standing in water, but most of them will seek out the shade. I have never known it to cause a problem, but I am sure you are correct that high concentrations of cattle in a small amount of water create problems. But when I think of "pond" I am thinking of water at least 1/2 acre in size and a minimum of 6-7 feet deep. and some much larger. I will say however that more people are moving toward fencing the pond and using gravity-fed waterers that are fed off of it.

Last edited:
Up here if you dig a hole to water cattle it's a dugout, it'd be a pond if you made it to put fish in or it was natural. We don't have brush hogs, we use brush mowers. Grease usually goes in a grease nipple or a zerk if we're being technical. We drink pop. Everything you buy to put water in is a trough.
Interesting that you are about 1200 miles from here and your terminology is still absolutely correct.
Interesting that the term dugout is used here in Texas especially in the west. Typically means a kinda halfazz tank. A little hole dugout with a tractor that provides a "wet weather" water hole. But goes dry frequently.
Now if you ask someone for a pop your probably gonna get told to get the he// of my property...lol

The original dugouts were what the early settlers lived in. They were pits dug into the ground with a rafter type system over that.. In other words a house half in the ground , half out. Sometimes they were built into a hillside.

I guess it depends on where you were raised.
I'm still planning on buying corrientesfor my ranch in Coleman co.
Going to a sale tomorrow to see if they have any.
They are usually offered for sale on the farm or internet markets..seldom see groups of purebreds run through the barns..

The original dugouts were what the early settlers lived in. They were pits dug into the ground with a rafter type system over that.. In other words a house half in the ground , half out. Sometimes they were built into a hillside.
Before the settlers arrived dugouts were a type of canoe used by the natives. Read the history of the Lewis and Clark expedition. They had several occasions to build new ones. When they left the west coast to head home they bartered, borrowed (stole) a big ocean going one from an Indian. to paddle up the Columbia.

I assume that cows spend a lot of time standing in it on hot days. How does it not become an ecosystem of coliforms, lepto, and Johne's? Fish aren't eating those.
Lord Buck, we had ponds that looked like chocolate milk growing up. My grandaddy would let us swim in them...sometimes with cows in them too! I still cringe at the ass-chewing my grand ma or mother would give him, when one of them found out he let us go swimming in them!

Latest posts