We may all be missing the boat, by not raising Corrientes!

Help Support CattleToday:

When you speak of acres per cow do you include the acres the hay came from?
I dunno what people mean when they talk of cows per acre. I always assumed it meant acres grazed. Growing up, my grandad had 43 acres he bought when I was in the 7th grade. Take out for the barns, the 2 acre lake and the hardwood stands, I'd guess there was about 36-38 acres of pasture, He kept 30-35 cows and a bull on it. A couple of years later, he rented a 55 acre pasture from a neighbor who retired. about 1/2 mile away. This one had very little trees except on the fence and cross fence lines. Big creek bordered one side, and a small branch ran through the middle. Just one barn on it, so I am guessing 50 acres or more of grass. He kept 50 head on this. We have a hell of a coastal bermuda field between his house and my parents' house. We raised all of the hay our cows ate off of this filed, squared baled 75-100 each cutting for my horses and for me to sell to horse clients, and never had to buy hay. We could cut it 4 sometimes 5 times a year if the rain came at the right time, though. So, he had 88 acres or so of pasture, and about 85 cows. Would you use the 88 acres of grass, the 98 acres total for both places, or add the hayfield to come up with 96 or 106 acres for those 85 head? You would get 1.03 acres per head if you just used the 88 acres of grass, or 1.25 acres per head, if you used the total acreage. 1.13 head per acre if you just figured the grass and the hayfield in the total.

From 1984 when my neighbor died til about 1994, I rented his cattle farm from his widow. 150 acres, with a 50 acre costal bermuda field. The hay barn, horse barn and equipment barn my arena and a couple of small lots took up about 6-8 acres. So that left about 92 acres of fescue and clover , and I kept about 50 Corrientes and 2-8 horses in those pastures. I never let any cow or horse onto the bermuda. I'd have to bush hog the pastures about twice each year, but I had to feed hay too, in the winter. I would have considered just the pastures and come up with 1.5 acres per animal. But good question. curious as to how others figure the head per acre,, just pasture or pasture and hay field combined?

2 acres per pair isn't bad at all, compared to western states. And not everyone in north GA can do an acre per cow. You have to keep it fertilized and limed to UGA specs, spray for weeds,.etc. Pastures kept like this, most of the time you won't have to feed hay until November til March. Longer for those who don't maintain, or who overstock their pastures. What's the closest sale barn to y'all there in Thomaston?
There's a barn in thomaston and one in americus. I'll send one to thomaston now and then bust mostly do private party.

I know this is going to be hard to believe. I can hardly believe it myself.
I bought seven pair of west Texas cows. These cows were poor as a poor can get 5 are 4 year old and 2 are 6 years old. I put them in a 6 acre patch of Bahia grass so they would eat it down so I can plow and drag the hog roots out. I did fertilize it
They just couldn't keep up with the grass.
I keep hay and molasses out and feed them a little sweet feed to tame them down. They were wild as deer.
I shredded it 2 weeks ago and with all the rain they still have plenty and eat very little hay.
I even put a Brahman bull on them.
4 black baldies 3 Hereford cows
I was thinking I would have to move them after a couple of weeks but it's been 21/2 months.
The cows and calves look good now.

Tex 452> There is nothing wrong with honest won success! Congratulations on a good beginning.
Just remember the sun always shines or it rains somewhere in the Empire.
Either way I wish you well in your endeavor. LVR

I started feeding hay on Dec 11. People were going out to grass starting out about April 5. I had to get the calves branded and was down a ways on that schedule. I think it was April 20 that we branded these and they went to grass. It is some where around 25 acres per pair on pasture but it is actually tough to tell because there are so many acres that are so steep that cows never utilize them. If I grazed the irrigated acres and didn't make hay there I could get by with an acre or maybe two per pair. 60 acres irrigated produce enough hay to feed 82 until March 20. That last month they got imported hay.

I bought seven pair of west Texas cows. These cows were poor as a poor can get 5 are 4 year old and 2 are 6 years old. I put them in a 6 acre patch of Bahia grass so they would eat it down so I can plow and drag the hog roots out. I did fertilize it
I keep hay and molasses out and feed them a little sweet feed to tame them down. They were wild as deer.
I shredded it 2 weeks ago and with all the rain they still have plenty and eat very little hay.
I was thinking I would have to move them after a couple of weeks but it's been 21/2 months.
That's about right. With the year we are having we have cows in pastures that are a pair to the acre and they arent staying ahead of the grass. Rain in these hot months will turn this country in to a jungle but you cant do it year in and year out. It is nice to let a lot of the pastures rest though.

I can believe it. The correct formula and amounts of fertilizer, and lime, can triple the yield of pasture or hayfields. What did you mean by "shredded it", Tex?

I can believe it. The correct formula and amounts of fertilizer, and lime, can triple the yield of pasture or hayfields. What did you mean by "shredded it", Tex?
It had some weeds and a lot of old growth so I mowed it with my tractor and shredder. To get new growth to start growing.

We mostly speak southern English here.

Shredder is for paper.View attachment 7360
Rotary mower (bush hog) is for grass.View attachment 7364

Fuel is stored in a tank.View attachment 7361

Cows drink from a pond.View attachment 7363
You may identify as a southerner but that's about it.
A manmade pond is a Tank.
Anything called a mower is only used in town. Why the hell would anyone mow the pasture
What kind of idiot would buy a machine to tearup paper. You just throw it in the burn barrel.

You may identify as a southerner but that's about it.
A manmade pond is a Tank.
Anything called a mower is only used in town. Why the hell would anyone mow the pasture
What kind of idiot would buy a machine to tearup paper. You just throw it in the burn barrel.
Well, if you have grass in the pasture, you might mow it. If you have prickly pear and mesquite as your forage, I can see where you would want to shred that.

A real man's tank looks like this. Not a hole he dug in the ground.
tank.jpg

How many Corrientes you run per acre?;)

Well, if you have grass in the pasture, you might mow it. If you have prickly pear and mesquite as your forage, I can see where you would want to shred that.

A real man's tank looks like this. Not a hole he dug in the ground.
View attachment 7384

How many Corrientes you run per acre?;)
You trying to lose some teeth hoss......

Shredder... Bush Hog... Rotary Cutter

I never heard bush hog until this message board. To me bush hog is a brand. Every now and then I will hear rotary cutter. The vast majority call it a "shredder" in this area. We "shred" our roads, pastures, and around our tanks to fish. 😄
Down here, bush hog is both a noun, the name of a rotary mower, and a verb, to cut with that rotary mower. If we dig a hole and it fills up with water, it is a pond... no matter the size. If we dig one and it has a water source like a spring that we damn, it is a lake... no matter the size. Stock tanks we buy at Tractor Supply and use them for a redneck swimming pool. Oh, and carbonated soft drinks are Cokes. There are different kinds of Coke, like Diet Coke, Sprite, 7 Up, Mtn Dew, and Pepsi. :D

I have always wanted an Army tank. Park it along side the driveway with the gun pointed down the driveway. I guarantee you nobody will come in to mess with you.

Down here, bush hog is both a noun, the name of a rotary mower, and a verb, to cut with that rotary mower. If we dig a hole and it fills up with water, it is a pond... no matter the size. If we dig one and it has a water source like a spring that we damn, it is a lake... no matter the size. Stock tanks we buy at Tractor Supply and use them for a redneck swimming pool. Oh, and carbonated soft drinks are Cokes. There are different kinds of Coke, like Diet Coke, Sprite, 7 Up, Mtn Dew, and Pepsi. :D
Same exact thing here in Arkansas, we use a bush hog to do our bush hogging. If we dig a hole and it holds water it's a pond. A stock tank is usually a tire tank and the plastic TSC variety is a water trough. We drink coke no matter the flavor or brand. The people I hear call ponds stock tanks are generally more to the west and no one I know calls a bush hog rotary mowers or shredders.
I had a lady correct me the other day when I said weedeater, she said it's called a string trimmer, I replied "no ma'am, it's a weedeater" she said how do you use that word in past tense as a verb, I told her that i would say that I weedeated. We were among a large group and she was the only one that referred to it as a string trimmer. It's funny how different parts of the country call the same thing by different names and we all swear we're right.

Same exact thing here in Arkansas, we use a bush hog to do our bush hogging. If we dig a hole and it holds water it's a pond. A stock tank is usually a tire tank and the plastic TSC variety is a water trough. We drink coke no matter the flavor or brand. The people I hear call ponds stock tanks are generally more to the west and no one I know calls a bush hog rotary mowers or shredders.
I had a lady correct me the other day when I said weedeater, she said it's called a string trimmer, I replied "no ma'am, it's a weedeater" she said how do you use that word in past tense as a verb, I told her that i would say that I weedeated. We were among a large group and she was the only one that referred to it as a string trimmer. It's funny how different parts of the country call the same thing by different names and we all swear we're right.
I have posted this before, most people call them grease "zerks". When I was growing up they were called "alemites".

I have always wanted an Army tank. Park it along side the driveway with the gun pointed down the driveway. I guarantee you nobody will come in to mess with you.
The day after 9/11 occurred, one of the guys at work drove an old half track similar to this one to work. I did not know he had such a vehicle. It still had the remnants of the machine gun on it. Several of us rode it to lunch, with one guy manning the machine gun. Might not be allowed now.

We may all need a tank in the future.
half track.jpg

Latest posts