We may all be missing the boat, by not raising Corrientes!

Help Support CattleToday:

Same exact thing here in Arkansas, we use a bush hog to do our bush hogging. If we dig a hole and it holds water it's a pond. A stock tank is usually a tire tank and the plastic TSC variety is a water trough. We drink coke no matter the flavor or brand. The people I hear call ponds stock tanks are generally more to the west and no one I know calls a bush hog rotary mowers or shredders.
I had a lady correct me the other day when I said weedeater, she said it's called a string trimmer, I replied "no ma'am, it's a weedeater" she said how do you use that word in past tense as a verb, I told her that i would say that I weedeated. We were among a large group and she was the only one that referred to it as a string trimmer. It's funny how different parts of the country call the same thing by different names and we all swear we're right.
My wife is from Arkansas and my father n law told me my tanks were ponds or lakes. We always called them tanks.

My wife is from Arkansas and my father n law told me my tanks were ponds or lakes. We always called them tanks.
On your place they are what you say they are and on his place he can call them what he wishes.

I'm a pond holds water, a tank is for fuel, a shredder is for cheese and a bush hog is what mowing fields are called kinda guy.

I noticed when I was in Oklahoma last year they called it brush-hogging rather than bush-hogging.

Sodas are Cokes except for Dr Pepper which is only to be called Dr Pepper.

Here tanks refer to Diésel or propane tanks. Sometimes water tanks, but usually the ones that livestock drink from are water troughs. Dug out water holes are ponds unless quite large then it's a lake. Rotary mowers are more often called Batwings or Bushhogs regardless of brand and batwinging and bush hogging are often what it's called when mowing pastures.
Grease fittins, never heard the term zerk till recently. Have heard some folks say alomite grease.
Always interesting, the regional differences even within a state sometimes.

Shredder... Bush Hog... Rotary Cutter

I never heard bush hog until this message board. To me bush hog is a brand. Every now and then I will hear rotary cutter. The vast majority call it a "shredder" in this area. We "shred" our roads, pastures, and around our tanks to fish. 😄
Oregon has "brush hogs" :) I think they usually have blades or chains

I have always wanted an Army tank. Park it along side the driveway with the gun pointed down the driveway. I guarantee you nobody will come in to mess with you.
Do that here and some yahoo would try to steal it for scrap metal. We've lost some "metal dealers" when the tried to scrap copper wire that was still charged. The oddest one - some guys went to a substation because they knew there was a lot of wire there. One climbed up on a transformer and when he reached for the wire, the current from the transformer blew his leg off. Maybe some of this will raise the average IQ if we can also keep sending the rest of them to the state capital or to Washington!

Up here if you dig a hole to water cattle it's a dugout, it'd be a pond if you made it to put fish in or it was natural. We don't have brush hogs, we use brush mowers. Grease usually goes in a grease nipple or a zerk if we're being technical. We drink pop. Everything you buy to put water in is a trough.

Up here if you dig a hole to water cattle it's a dugout, it'd be a pond if you made it to put fish in or it was natural. We don't have brush hogs, we use brush mowers. Grease usually goes in a grease nipple or a zerk if we're being technical. We drink pop. Everything you buy to put water in is a trough.
Interesting that you are about 1200 miles from here and your terminology is still absolutely correct.

Interesting that you are about 1200 miles from here and your terminology is still absolutely correct.
Similar to Wisconsin. The only difference is that creating a pond for cattle to drink out of is a completely foreign concept here. We don't have a word for it. I'm sure there are parts of the world where it's the best option, but forcing cows to drink stagnant standing water wouldn't be considered good management here.

Do that here and some yahoo would try to steal it for scrap metal. We've lost some "metal dealers" when the tried to scrap copper wire that was still charged. The oddest one - some guys went to a substation because they knew there was a lot of wire there. One climbed up on a transformer and when he reached for the wire, the current from the transformer blew his leg off. Maybe some of this will raise the average IQ if we can also keep sending the rest of them to the state capital or to Washington!
Hard to steal a tank without drawing attention. They are pretty big heavy and the metal is thick. I would like to have the turret on a remote control so when a car drove by out on the county road the it would turn to track them. Doing that would keep everyone out of the driveway. Not that we get anyone driving in the driveway but it would catch peoples attention.

Similar to Wisconsin. The only difference is that creating a pond for cattle to drink out of is a completely foreign concept here. We don't have a word for it. I'm sure there are parts of the world where it's the best option, but forcing cows to drink stagnant standing water wouldn't be considered good management here.
How do you water the cows there?

wouldn't be considered good
In some places it's the only option. My pond has a artesian well.

Who said that a pond is stagnant? With fish, it is a self-contained eco-system.

Latest posts