wasted money for rescues

Help Support CattleToday:

"Good judgement comes from experience. Unfortunately to much of that experience comes from bad judgement." Don't know who said it but it's true.Z

fit2btied":po1h0smu said:
I try not to put myself in situations with fatalistic possibilities if I have little or no control, especially when I know better.
\

Most of us put ourselves in those situations fairly frequently. We hurtle down the highways at 70+ mph in cans on wheels made of glass and steel - two substances not particularly safe for human flesh should an impact occur.

We pass and are passed by semis 10 times our size.

We meet oncoming cars on windy, country roads on Friday nights after bar closing time.

Tens of thousands of people die each year on the roads, but because traveling is supposedly a necessity, we block the risks out.

I was always more confident about getting myself out of a jam on a mountain or in the backcountry than I am sure I won't die in a random car accident.

Several people have made comments about the lack of equipment carried by these climbers. This time of year, heavy and slow can be more dangerous than fast and light.

I think the only lesson to be learned from this accident is that mountain climbing is arduous and dangerous. Most climbers probably wouldn't do it if it wasn't.

The comment has also been made that these guys weren't weekend warriors. One lived in New York and the other two were from Dallas. So how many mountains do they have in either of those locations? I know of people who go up Rainier almost daily. They aren't weekend warriors. People who fly in a couple of times a year to climb are weekend warriors. They maybe experienced weekenders but they are still weekenders.
Anyone who thinks you can absolutely count on two days of good weather on the side of Mt. Hood in December isn't from around here.
The county sheriff down there said the 13 people have been killed in the last 2 or 3 years in the area these guys were at so it is not like this is the first time this has happened. This one just happened to catch the news medias attention.

The comedian Ron White said it best,"you cant fix stupid".......He hit the nail right on the head. Problem we seem to have in this country is we reward Stupid!!!!! Live on the coast and dont have flood insurance.....Stupid....Live in a earthquake area and dont have insurance....Stupid......Live in a bowl of a city and dont have insurance nor the sense to leave the city.......Stupid......Their are many more examples, but I think the point has been made....dont reward stupid

houstoncutter":9gzah7pe said:
...dont reward stupid

Guess I missed the "reward" part. One is dead and the other two are too likely. Where's the reward?

Stock car racing? Cancel the Indy? No more bull riders or rodeos? How about sky diving?

eric":ba4dghzq said:
fit2btied":ba4dghzq said:
eric":ba4dghzq said:
These guys were'nt just 2 run-of-the-mill weekend warrior type guys out to get their jollies on. The man whose body has been recovered was a very experienced climber, who has climbed mts on 3 different continents and has cimbed Mt. McKinnley, the highest point in America, over 2 dozen times over the years...

Exactly! So why was this climb so important?

It seems to me that they just wanted to get a quick 2-day climb in before the weather turned for the worse. Their plan was to be back down and back home before the bad weather ever hit the mountain. The guy breaking his arm wasn't, I assume, part of the plan.
Has noone else ever had things go horribly wrong in the middle of a trip? Noone besides me has ever been in the middle of a lake fishing when thunderstorms came in and started slowly, but before you could get back to the ramp the waves became much more treacherous? Stuff happens.[/quote

Thats a little different being on a lake in a boat, vs. up on a mountain in freezing temps, with over 100mph winds. A boat is moveable, can be raced to shore in minutes, these guys were sitting ducks, with nowhere to go. True things go wrong in alot of different situations, but I think this was very different.

GMN

Climbing around on mountains may not be my cup of tea, but for those that want to do that, I am all for them.

I admire them more for living until they die more than I do somebody always playing it safe and rusting away in front of a computer screen.

badaxemoo":l3mfeud6 said:
fit2btied":l3mfeud6 said:
I try not to put myself in situations with fatalistic possibilities if I have little or no control, especially when I know better.
\

Most of us put ourselves in those situations fairly frequently. We hurtle down the highways at 70+ mph in cans on wheels made of glass and steel - two substances not particularly safe for human flesh should an impact occur...

I think the only lesson to be learned from this accident is that mountain climbing is arduous and dangerous. Most climbers probably wouldn't do it if it wasn't.

I should have said recreational situations, but you are still talking apples and oranges, night and day, and you know it! Our prayers go out for their families.

I hope that all the folks that are of the mind that this was a waste of money are doing more than posting on here about it. I'm sure you are trying to make the system change by calling your elected officials so they my take action.

As it is it is legal.

People looking at challenges and then overtaking them is what made us what we are today. Be it mountain climbing or whatever cranks ones tractor. If no one had ventured into the wild and unknown west years ago we would still be living on the east coast. After all that whole west thing was a risky adventure. Our natural craving for the unknowns and ability to meet our challenges head on is what keeps us going forward. Climbing mountains in ice ain't my cup of tea, but for some, things I do ain't on top of their list either. The space program was a challenge that many inventions came out of. It got people thinking of how to overcome a challenge. Many of these inventions and things learned from the research are saving lives today. This nation as a whole has benefited many times over from folks taking adventurous challenges. As far as the folks looking for these guys. Thank God we have people like this. As one beinging on a rescue squad myself, ain't no pay better than placing a healthy lost 3 year old girl in the arms of a concerned mother. We do it for reasons other than money. I'm sure most of those were volunteers also.

Bama":1osrz50s said:
People looking at challenges and then overtaking them is what made us what we are today. Be it mountain climbing or whatever cranks ones tractor. If no one had ventured into the wild and unknown west years ago we would still be living on the east coast. After all that whole west thing was a risky adventure. Our natural craving for the unknowns and ability to meet our challenges head on is what keeps us going forward. Climbing mountains in ice ain't my cup of tea, but for some, things I do ain't on top of their list either. The space program was a challenge that many inventions came out of. It got people thinking of how to overcome a challenge. Many of these inventions and things learned from the research are saving lives today. This nation as a whole has benefited many times over from folks taking adventurous challenges. As far as the folks looking for these guys. Thank God we have people like this. As one beinging on a rescue squad myself, ain't no pay better than placing a healthy lost 3 year old girl in the arms of a concerned mother. We do it for reasons other than money. I'm sure most of those were volunteers also.

Said better than I am capable.

Good post.

dun":1cpupuxh said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1cpupuxh said:
My family would be proud that I tried to save a life just as thay are proud every time my wife or myself responds to a fire or medical call. How would YOU feel if no one made an attempt to save your life or your brides or childs if it was deemed you did something stupid? NUFF SAID

It would probaly help the gene pool significantly

dun

I passed this by several times.

That's just just plain wrong.

I agree Wewild. I have a lot respect for Dun, not sure what he means, but if it means what I think it means, I think he is wrong.

If you want to thrill seek, don't make Joe Taxpayer foot the bill when something goes wrong. If I get crazy and decide to wrestle the bull, I certainly don't expect the doctor to piece me back together and not get a bill.

If you were to wrestle a bull, you would get the bill...or your insurance company would. The government isn't going to pay for these guys funerals, the rescue efforts were made by many volunteers, the helicopters provided will most likely be written off as training missions.

One question I'd like to pose...NASCAR races. The big military jets that fly over during the playing of the national anthem....who pays for that? I understand those are written off as training missions...and again, who pays for those training missions????!!!!!! Arghhhhhhhh!

Alice

Again, who pays for the jets to fly over the NASCAR races? Any answers...or is it the gubment...us taxpayers? C'mon, guys...and there's all this whining about taxpayers paying for rescue missions? Shamful!

Alice

The last rescue mission I was on involved a older man lost in the forest near me. We were expecting to find him dead. When I came out well after dark there would be hot coffee and enough food to feed an army. This food was brougt up there by the community. This whole ordeal lasted 4 days. We found the guy alive and well. After we encountered many snakes and wild hogs at night. I didn't recieve a dime in pay nor did any of the other folks with me. I carried out a team with dogs, there were about a dozen of them. None of them got paid either. My 13 year old son was with me. He had to go to school the next morning. We came in one night about 10:00 with a team. When I arrived at the command post a new team of dogs were there. The incident commander ask if I could carry them out to look in a spot where some other dogs had a hit earlier in the day. It was about 2 miles away cross country. I looked at my son, he said "lets go". Knowing all the time he would have a rough time at school the next morning. We got back about 2 am that morning. I was back out there at 6 am and was fixin to carry another group out when it came over the radio he had been found. They said we found Mr ***** long pause then they realized didn't everone know and said "he's alive". Just being there and seeing the look on the families face was far more than any money could have been. So yes we are well paid, but not in money. Even when its a just body we recover its a closure to the family. If people can't live out their dreams and do the things they enjoy, whats the use in dreaming. Yes accidents happen but by far I go on more car wrecks and pull mangled bodys from the wreckage. Yes, the troopers and cops get paid what should we do - prevent people from driving cars, after all it cost the taxpayers when they wreck. Those on the mountain wernt doing something stupid. They were doing something they enjoyed. Things beyond their control got them into a jamb. I'm sure those looking for them was not thinking how much is this gonna cost the taxpayers. Drunk drivers cost the taxpayers far more than adventure seekers. If you really want to get technical look at what your paying on your own car insurance. A lot of it is to cover the accidents of other drunk drivers.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Bama":1r0eylwv said:
The last rescue mission I was on involved a older man lost in the forest near me. We were expecting to find him dead. When I came out well after dark there would be hot coffee and enough food to feed an army. This food was brougt up there by the community. This whole ordeal lasted 4 days. We found the guy alive and well. After we encountered many snakes and wild hogs at night. I didn't recieve a dime in pay nor did any of the other folks with me. I carried out a team with dogs, there were about a dozen of them. None of them got paid either. My 13 year old son was with me. He had to go to school the next morning. We came in one night about 10:00 with a team. When I arrived at the command post a new team of dogs were there. The incident commander ask if I could carry them out to look in a spot where some other dogs had a hit earlier in the day. It was about 2 miles away cross country. I looked at my son, he said "lets go". Knowing all the time he would have a rough time at school the next morning. We got back about 2 am that morning. I was back out there at 6 am and was fixin to carry another group out when it came over the radio he had been found. They said we found Mr ***** long pause then they realized didn't everone know and said "he's alive". Just being there and seeing the look on the families face was far more than any money could have been. So yes we are well paid, but not in money. Even when its a just body we recover its a closure to the family. If people can't live out their dreams and do the things they enjoy, whats the use in dreaming. Yes accidents happen but by far I go on more car wrecks and pull mangled bodys from the wreckage. Yes, the troopers and cops get paid what should we do - prevent people from driving cars, after all it cost the taxpayers when they wreck. Those on the mountain wernt doing something stupid. They were doing something they enjoyed. Things beyond their control got them into a jamb. I'm sure those looking for them was not thinking how much is this gonna cost the taxpayers. Drunk drivers cost the taxpayers far more than adventure seekers. If you really want to get technical look at what your paying on your own car insurance. A lot of it is to cover the accidents of other drunk drivers.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Your son is one in a million...gotta be proud of that boy! :)

Alice

Alice":27hxc68o said:
Again, who pays for the jets to fly over the NASCAR races? Any answers...or is it the gubment...us taxpayers? C'mon, guys...and there's all this whining about taxpayers paying for rescue missions? Shamful!

Alice

Alice you hit it right on the head, the goverment, namely the tax paying public....Calling these things training missions rates right up their with those.....fact finding missions our elected officials go on to exotic locales...We go on the same trip we call it an exotic vacation, they call it a fact finding mission............just another way to fleece the tax paying public

Latest posts