wasted money for rescues

Help Support CattleToday:

Actually Houston those flights over NASCAR and other major events are not called training missions. They a called missions period and have been since they started after 9-11.Z

Bama":2eqgyqwf said:
The last rescue mission I was on involved a older man lost in the forest near me. We were expecting to find him dead. When I came out well after dark there would be hot coffee and enough food to feed an army. This food was brougt up there by the community. This whole ordeal lasted 4 days. We found the guy alive and well. After we encountered many snakes and wild hogs at night. I didn't recieve a dime in pay nor did any of the other folks with me. I carried out a team with dogs, there were about a dozen of them. None of them got paid either. My 13 year old son was with me. He had to go to school the next morning. We came in one night about 10:00 with a team. When I arrived at the command post a new team of dogs were there. The incident commander ask if I could carry them out to look in a spot where some other dogs had a hit earlier in the day. It was about 2 miles away cross country. I looked at my son, he said "lets go". Knowing all the time he would have a rough time at school the next morning. We got back about 2 am that morning. I was back out there at 6 am and was fixin to carry another group out when it came over the radio he had been found. They said we found Mr ***** long pause then they realized didn't everone know and said "he's alive". Just being there and seeing the look on the families face was far more than any money could have been. So yes we are well paid, but not in money. Even when its a just body we recover its a closure to the family. If people can't live out their dreams and do the things they enjoy, whats the use in dreaming. Yes accidents happen but by far I go on more car wrecks and pull mangled bodys from the wreckage. Yes, the troopers and cops get paid what should we do - prevent people from driving cars, after all it cost the taxpayers when they wreck. Those on the mountain wernt doing something stupid. They were doing something they enjoyed. Things beyond their control got them into a jamb. I'm sure those looking for them was not thinking how much is this gonna cost the taxpayers. Drunk drivers cost the taxpayers far more than adventure seekers. If you really want to get technical look at what your paying on your own car insurance. A lot of it is to cover the accidents of other drunk drivers.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
AMEN! God bless you Bama.

MillIronQH":1uatodmm said:
Actually Houston those flights over NASCAR and other major events are not called training missions. They a called missions period and have been since they started after 9-11.Z

I am sure you are correct, of course these are the same people who payed hundreds of dollars for a hammer. Taxpayers fleeced again, whether you fly a F-18 over a Nascar race or pay $250 for a hammer

houstoncutter":2cq1cral said:
I am sure you are correct, of course these are the same people who payed hundreds of dollars for a hammer. Taxpayers fleeced again, whether you fly a F-18 over a Nascar race or pay $250 for a hammer

Has the $250 hammer been documented of late or do you think things aren't any better now than back then.

Wewild":104ignf0 said:
houstoncutter":104ignf0 said:

Has the $250 hammer been documented of late or do you think things aren't any better now than back then.

My opinion...heck no it's not any better now. Can you imagine the cost of the fuel to fly over a NASCAR race? Those jets have to come from whatever base is close by...and some of those races aren't gonna have close by bases. Yeah, I'm still on that NASCAR race jet flyover thing!

Alice

Alice":1nqu97dr said:
Wewild":1nqu97dr said:
houstoncutter":1nqu97dr said:

My opinion...heck no it's not any better now. Can you imagine the cost of the fuel to fly over a NASCAR race? Those jets have to come from whatever base is close by...and some of those races aren't gonna have close by bases. Yeah, I'm still on that NASCAR race jet flyover thing!

Alice

Those jets would be flying anyway, since the pilots need so many hours in the cockpit to remain qualified in that particular aircraft. Doesn't cost any more to fly over a race or a football stadium than it does to fly over anything else.

Same with helicoptors used in search and rescue. The pilots need air time to remain qualified and they aren't going to get it sitting on the ground.

Alice":1wr2ewpz said:
Can you imagine the cost of the fuel to fly over a NASCAR race? Those jets have to come from whatever base is close by...and some of those races aren't gonna have close by bases. Yeah, I'm still on that NASCAR race jet flyover thing!

Alice

It's called recruiting and they also have a certain number of hours they have to fly. It is a classic example of time on target. I'm sure the folks planning them make sure some fall on the days of the races and not through the week to finished their scheduled training hours.

It also comes down to pride. I'm proud of them and the parachute jumpers too.

VanC":2jh5du4i said:
Alice":2jh5du4i said:
Wewild":2jh5du4i said:
houstoncutter":2jh5du4i said:

Alice

Those jets would be flying anyway, since the pilots need so many hours in the cockpit to remain qualified in that particular aircraft. Doesn't cost any more to fly over a race or a football stadium than it does to fly over anything else.

Same with helicoptors used in search and rescue. The pilots need air time to remain qualified and they aren't going to get it sitting on the ground.

Same with helicoptors used in search and rescue.

So I've been told...therefore, what's the gripe with search and rescue?

Bottom line...search and rescue has it's place...a big place...and I'm proud of anyone that engages in it...and I don't have a problem one with my tax dollars going towards it.

I'd still rather see the jet time utilized a bit differently...or here's a novel idea...bill NASCAR for the fuel used...

Alice

VanC":woht1aew said:
Alice":woht1aew said:
Wewild":woht1aew said:
houstoncutter":woht1aew said:

Alice

This is true! Many times when cost is figured on something they do not figure in that these people would be getting paid and the expenses would be spent even if they were not doing this event.

This might not be the case in this climber instance but many times things do not cost extra money just they attach the bill to the event.

Kind of like when they figure how much people with no insurance cost hospitals and or tax payers. If a person goes into emergency room and has no money to pay. The doctor and nurses on duty would be there anyway. They do not get paid extra because this person comes in. There is very little extra cost to see the patient.

I am not condoning not paying just showing how the books get worked some times to show a big expense for something that in reality did not cost any new money to be spent.

You can't put a price tag on human life, even if the accident or "incident" could have been avoided. Most accidents could have been avoided, after all.

As for the jets doing flyovers, Wewild made excellent points about recruitment and pride. A young person seeing those jets fly over may be compelled to grow up and join the military because of it. He/she and all of us will be better off for it. And how can you put a price tag on the pride we feel for our country and those who serve? The Thunderbirds and the Blue Angels have been ambassadors of good will both here and abroad for many years and that has been priceless, IMO.

Our government wastes billions of dollars every year, but search & rescue and military flyovers aren't in that category as far as I'm concerned.

VanC":cjgaudx5 said:
You can't put a price tag on human life, even if the accident or "incident" could have been avoided. Most accidents could have been avoided, after all.

As for the jets doing flyovers, Wewild made excellent points about recruitment and pride. A young person seeing those jets fly over may be compelled to grow up and join the military because of it. He/she and all of us will be better off for it. And how can you put a price tag on the pride we feel for our country and those who serve? The Thunderbirds and the Blue Angels have been ambassadors of good will both here and abroad for many years and that has been priceless, IMO.

Our government wastes billions of dollars every year, but search & rescue and military flyovers aren't in that category as far as I'm concerned.

That was well said Van, and I was waiting for someone to post that Human Life is priceless. Always thought that being an American means you'd look after your fellow brothers in a time of need.

VanC":2jcovxji said:

Military flyovers during Veteran's day are fine...or something of that ilk...somthing that's non-profit and serves a greater good. NASCAR (talk about money, money, money going into pockets that already are lined in gold)...puhleeze. And that's as far as I'm concerned. :)

Alice

Alice":3f1ueah9 said:
VanC":3f1ueah9 said:

Military flyovers during Veteran's day are fine...or something of that ilk...somthing that's non-profit and serves a greater good. NASCAR (talk about money, money, money going into pockets that already are lined in gold)...puhleeze. And that's as far as I'm concerned. :)

Alice

I can understand where your coming from, nothing I want more than less government spending.

But the Blue Angels sole purpose is for Recruitment and as good will ambassadors. I imagine the Angels search out events like Nascar more than Nascar coming to them. The armed forces spend millions every year on TV commercials and print ads to help recruitment. This is one of the Navy's means of recruitment. It is no different than paying for a TV ad.

They are not a group of soldiers that did this on a whim, this is why they were formed in the first place. There Job is to be seen by as many people as possible and a Nascar race and Superbowl are some pretty big groups.

Crowderfarms":3bsuno5g said:
That was well said Van, and I was waiting for someone to post that Human Life is priceless. Always thought that being an American means you'd look after your fellow brothers in a time of need.

Go back and look at page 3. Seems like your boy ain't the first.

Good post on the second sentence.

Wewild":26mw1mo9 said:
Crowderfarms":26mw1mo9 said:

Go back and look at page 3. Seems like your boy ain't the first.

Good post on the second sentence.

Gotcha. Missed your sentence in that response of yours'. ;-)

They fly over the Superbowl, too? :shock:

Jeez Louise...say it isn't so...don't ya' think TV ads are enough? Too much? Recruiters are everywhere...high schools, college campuses...TV...now flyovers at events that have ticket prices of $100 and up? Anybody that can afford that already has a game plan set out for their kids...and the Navy ain't it...

Alice

Alice":20vru4cs said:
I'd still rather see the jet time utilized a bit differently...or here's a novel idea...bill NASCAR for the fuel used...

Alice
It seems like most branches of our forces have their name sponsoring a car. The fly over argument don't amount to nothing.

Merry Christmas.

Alice":1flpte0o said:

Jeez Louise...say it isn't so...don't ya' think TV ads are enough? Too much? Recruiters are everywhere...high schools, college campuses...TV...now flyovers at events that have ticket prices of $100 and up? Anybody that can afford that already has a game plan set out for their kids...and the Navy ain't it...

Alice

Sweetie.

I don't know what to say. Do all the kids have parents that have a game plan for them. Did all of yours succeed as you wished? I hope so.

Been to alot of races and haven't seen a Navy jet yet.

Alice":1d96symu said:

Alice

I've paid over 100 bucks for tickets before. It didn't keep my son out of the military. he was in the gulf war and he just got back from Iraq last week , and he's going back in 3 weeks.

You sound alot like John Kerry You think just poor dumb kids join.

Latest posts