wasted money for rescues

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm sure these men will pay the price for their mistakes in the end....and in the end they will have realized what it cost. ;-)

The money spent on the space program stayed and was spent on Earth.. If you go hunting trouble,you will find it..Trouble finds me with no trouble atall,I don't have to climb a mountan to get into it..Rescue insurance is a good idea,should have to have a rescue plan before setting foot on any mountan.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1292ta02 said:
houstoncutter":1292ta02 said:
Just curious if any one feels like me on this issue.... Just wonder how many millions of dollars have beeen wasted on trying to rescue those clowns on Mt Hood.... Of course they are not the only ones that the goverment has had to waste money on.... Seems like one of our brain fart politicians would come up with the idea of these folks buying some sort of rescue insurance.... You want to go take part in a risky sport, then be willing to pay the freight if something goes wrong.... People shouldnt have to risk their lives to rescue folks that have engaged in a sport that can become deadly...Ok my rant is over, how do the rest of you feel about it.
Peace on earth good will toward man, not from this guy.

Hmmmm....I wonder how much good will you would have towards these folks,
if a loved one of yours was killed while trying to rescue these thrill seekers. Lets pray that that doesnt happen..... Thrill seekers in the past used to pay a heavy price for their thrill seeking....Namely their life or at the least their health..... Now its hop on the cell phone and call to get their chestnuts pulled out of the fire.... Good will towards men......yep you betcha.........KEY word here MEN.....that to me means someone who acts like a man......take care of family and friends, not act like a damn fool and try to climb a mountain, pay your taxes help the poor and dont ask for a freeby from the goverment....That to me is a man or woman..... I am a hard headed tight fisted Texan, and damn proud of it. I am happy to help someone that deserves it.

peg4x4":3jee5ljk said:
The money spent on the space program stayed and was spent on Earth.. If you go hunting trouble,you will find it..Trouble finds me with no trouble atall,I don't have to climb a mountan to get into it..Rescue insurance is a good idea,should have to have a rescue plan before setting foot on any mountan.

Peg, check your private message box. It has nothing to do with this thread, just thought maybe you'd come back here.

Alice

houstoncutter":31uky3q4 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":31uky3q4 said:
houstoncutter":31uky3q4 said:
Just curious if any one feels like me on this issue.... Just wonder how many millions of dollars have beeen wasted on trying to rescue those clowns on Mt Hood.... Of course they are not the only ones that the goverment has had to waste money on.... Seems like one of our brain fart politicians would come up with the idea of these folks buying some sort of rescue insurance.... You want to go take part in a risky sport, then be willing to pay the freight if something goes wrong.... People shouldnt have to risk their lives to rescue folks that have engaged in a sport that can become deadly...Ok my rant is over, how do the rest of you feel about it.

if a loved one of yours was killed while trying to rescue these thrill seekers. Lets pray that that doesnt happen..... Thrill seekers in the past used to pay a heavy price for their thrill seeking....Namely their life or at the least their health..... Now its hop on the cell phone and call to get their chestnuts pulled out of the fire.... Good will towards men......yep you betcha.........KEY word here MEN.....that to me means someone who acts like a man......take care of family and friends, not act like a be nice fool and try to climb a mountain, pay your taxes help the poor and dont ask for a freeby from the goverment....That to me is a man or woman..... I am a hard headed tight fisted Texan, and be nice proud of it. I am happy to help someone that deserves it.
My family would be proud that I tried to save a life just as thay are proud every time my wife or myself responds to a fire or medical call. How would YOU feel if no one made an attempt to save your life or your brides or childs if it was deemed you did something stupid? NUFF SAID

Besides being the right thing to do, the search and rescue teams get good training in doing this type thing. Not only that, the gov't guys are salaried anyway so I don't see how the press can spin the costs up the way they have. Seems to me with the exception of a little extra fuel - a lot of the costs are fixed anyhow - rescue or no rescue.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":17ud6zxl said:
houstoncutter":17ud6zxl said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":17ud6zxl said:
houstoncutter":17ud6zxl said:

if a loved one of yours was killed while trying to rescue these thrill seekers. Lets pray that that doesnt happen..... Thrill seekers in the past used to pay a heavy price for their thrill seeking....Namely their life or at the least their health..... Now its hop on the cell phone and call to get their chestnuts pulled out of the fire.... Good will towards men......yep you betcha.........KEY word here MEN.....that to me means someone who acts like a man......take care of family and friends, not act like a be nice fool and try to climb a mountain, pay your taxes help the poor and dont ask for a freeby from the goverment....That to me is a man or woman..... I am a hard headed tight fisted Texan, and be nice proud of it. I am happy to help someone that deserves it.
My family would be proud that I tried to save a life just as thay are proud every time my wife or myself responds to a fire or medical call. How would YOU feel if no one made an attempt to save your life or your brides or childs if it was deemed you did something stupid? NUFF SAID

Just curious, does you fire department send a bill as our does, wheter its EMT or the fire trucks you get a bill. I personally dont have a problem with that at all...Bye the way, if you do send a bill as I think your department does, then you have made my point, these folks want something for nothing and I am tired of dead beats

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":37piiowv said:

It would probaly help the gene pool significantly

dun

Alice":35guyt3h said:
You know, there is a possibility that the mountain climbers will be charged with the rescue costs, at least a portion. Not that anything will be collected, and not that if they are there won't be law suits out the kazoo, but ambulances charge people for coming out...just a thought...

Alice

For what it's worth, the evening news reported last night that according to Oregon law, the climbers and/or their families would not be billed for the rescue operation. It will be paid for by tax dollars.

eric":3ajhp1hp said:
These guys were'nt just 2 run-of-the-mill weekend warrior type guys out to get their jollies on. The man whose body has been recovered was a very experienced climber, who has climbed mts on 3 different continents and has cimbed Mt. McKinnley, the highest point in America, over 2 dozen times over the years...

Exactly! So why was this climb so important?

Did I hear right that these guys though experienced only took a 2 day supply of food, and only a small amount of equipment? Doesn't seem to me they were very experienced if they didn't think of the things that could go wrong and prepare for it. I guess they paid the ultimate price for their hobby--their lives!

GMN

Funny how all of us can arrive at this forum, with common interests. Then a subject like this comes up and we all realize we are cut from different cloth. But that is what makes for good discussion and good debate.

Will this be a lesson learned for future climbers? I doubt it.

backhoeboogie":2p61rqfq said:
Funny how all of us can arrive at this forum, with common interests. Then a subject like this comes up and we all realize we are cut from different cloth. But that is what makes for good discussion and good debate.

Amen.

backhoeboogie":3i1n660c said:

Too frequently people learn only from their own mistakes and not those of others. These guys won;t make the same mistake again now that they've had the experience

dun

Jogeephus":qqol5kg8 said:
Besides being the right thing to do, the search and rescue teams get good training in doing this type thing. Not only that, the gov't guys are salaried anyway so I don't see how the press can spin the costs up the way they have. Seems to me with the exception of a little extra fuel - a lot of the costs are fixed anyhow - rescue or no rescue.

Jogeephus, I like the way you think.

dun":2c028y0d said:
backhoeboogie":2c028y0d said:

Too frequently people learn only from their own mistakes and not those of others. These guys won;t make the same mistake again now that they've had the experience

dun

Think that's a given, especially for one of them.

Alice

fit2btied":27y0yfvz said:
eric":27y0yfvz said:
These guys were'nt just 2 run-of-the-mill weekend warrior type guys out to get their jollies on. The man whose body has been recovered was a very experienced climber, who has climbed mts on 3 different continents and has cimbed Mt. McKinnley, the highest point in America, over 2 dozen times over the years...

Exactly! So why was this climb so important?

It seems to me that they just wanted to get a quick 2-day climb in before the weather turned for the worse. Their plan was to be back down and back home before the bad weather ever hit the mountain. The guy breaking his arm wasn't, I assume, part of the plan.
Has noone else ever had things go horribly wrong in the middle of a trip? Noone besides me has ever been in the middle of a lake fishing when thunderstorms came in and started slowly, but before you could get back to the ramp the waves became much more treacherous? Stuff happens.

I wouldn't call the rescue efforts wasted money, but on my spreadsheets I do earmark some items as 'Avoidable Expenses'. It would definitely get that!

eric":9xntuco0 said:
Noone besides me has ever been in the middle of a lake fishing when thunderstorms came in and started slowly, but before you could get back to the ramp the waves became much more treacherous? Stuff happens.

Sure have. But we had enough sense to know that we might not make it to the ramp safely, therefore, Plan B. Head to the closest shore, tie to a tree, seek shelter. I try not to put myself in situations with fatalistic possibilities if I have little or no control, especially when I know better.

houstoncutter":2i8iockr said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2i8iockr said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2i8iockr said:

Just curious, does you fire department send a bill as our does, wheter its EMT or the fire trucks you get a bill. I personally dont have a problem with that at all...Bye the way, if you do send a bill as I think your department does, then you have made my point, these folks want something for nothing and I am tired of dead beats
Our fire department is all volunteer. We do what we do to help the people in our community. We DO NOT bill anyone. I agree with wasteful spending. Trying to save a life or someones property is NEVER wastful. Even if the rescue efforts are a failure in any given situation there are a multitude of things learned from each effort. Call it training if you will but not a waste. We each have differant views.

Latest posts