Wal-Mart USDA No. 1 Choice beef.

Help Support CattleToday:

I've had beef in Hawaii and you are probably right for your area, the meat lacked flavor and tenderness. We have bought calves at the local fair for the last 9 years, from kids we knew, you cannot buy beef that taste that good from a chain store, (Costco's beef is the closest, but still not as good) there are a few butcher shops that have meat that is as good but they charge double what Costco does, I will not pay $20 a pound for a ribeye.
Between the my 2 boys' calves over the year, 3 went to the state plant to be processed before they were sent to the local butcher for cutting, 2 came back USDA Prime, the other was high choice, calves were Angus based club calves. We start the fair calves on feed in October at 500-600 pounds, our fair is first part of July, calves are fed 3% of body weight almost the entire time, once they start eating 25 pounds a day we stop increasing the feed and tweak it to get finish on them. There rest of the calves have been processed locally, the butcher has always commented on the quality of meat (Same buyer every year, same butcher)
Holstein to Angus, feed it right and it will produce beef that is enjoyable to eat, feed it wrong or not at all and it will not have flavor or be enjoyable to eat.

alohacattle":pv9gz1hn said:
B&M Farms":pv9gz1hn said:
alohacattle":pv9gz1hn said:
I will stand behind my previous statement good feed does NOT equal choice beef.

What do you think does?
Good feed will never overcome poor genetics, Mongrel cattle will never grade No. 1 Choice just because they had GOOD feed.

Its got more to do with breed. British breeds and crosses with british breeds have a better chance of grading prime. You probably will never see a longhorn grade prime no matter how good the genetics. And nothing will grade prime without about 80% of there diet being high energy. Prime is hard. Choice is easier. Just some marbling and steaks will grade choice.

Now we are back to genetics, took the long way around to get back here , but good feed will never over come poor genetics.

alohacattle":3du1cm87 said:
Now we are back to genetics, took the long way around to get back here , but good feed will never over come poor genetics.
I thought you were talking about mongrels?

alohacattle":2oasbg1h said:
http://shreveport.craigslist.org/grd/3393836681.html

I'm certain this comingled herd of be nice would qualify, as would the rest of the hobbyist crossbreeds. People who breed whatever to whatever because they said it looked pretty.
What's up with the link? I don't see how this link has do with the prime/choice beef at all and you dont tell why mongrels are poor genetics.

There are different markets for the cattle, not just beef market.

highgrit":akvdlo01 said:
Aged beef is hard to beat. 21 days is my preference and grain fed. But anybody can raise better tasting beef than Walmart.

i agree with everything you say, highgrit.......

alohacattle":8i2ng9pl said:
http://shreveport.craigslist.org/grd/3393836681.html

I'm certain this comingled herd of be nice would qualify, as would the rest of the hobbyist crossbreeds. People who breed whatever to whatever because they said it looked pretty.
I bet those Brah, and gerts could grade choice if you gave them plenty of feed.
Are you sure your not get quality grade mixed up with others measurements like REA, or yeild grade which genetics play part in?

alohacattle":3d295uod said:

A high energy diet can make an inferior steer of the right breed grade choice. Its not good feed. Its actually bad for the rumen, but it puts on fat. You would not feed a cow this way. Although genetics plays a part, breed and feed is what get you to prime. This is only one trait you look for in cattle. Maternal, milk, wean weights, calving ease are just a few. No breed does it all the best.

salebarn junkie":2g0vhxhy said:
alohacattle":2g0vhxhy said:
B&M what is the difference between British breeds and longhorns?

Why argue about genetics and feed with somebody that doesn't know the difference between a Angus and a longhorn
You have a point. I give up.

Aloha i assume your from Hawaii do they have anything but grassfed beef there. I've read that the majority of cattle are shiped to the mainland to be feed out.that they have very limited processing. What do you finish your cattle on. Somethings not adding up.

salebarn junkie":2wt1087x said:
Aloha i assume your from Hawaii do they have anything but grassfed beef there. I've read that the majority of cattle are shiped to the mainland to be feed out.that they have very limited processing. What do you finish your cattle on. Somethings not adding up.
I'm not from Hawaii. I do have a home there.

Latest posts