Some thoughts and questions about beef

Help Support CattleToday:

1704893966984.png
Welcome to the future.
A factory in The Netherlands 3D prints 500 tons of steaks a month. Redefine Meat company will supply German restaurants with printed fillets.
Approximately 110 German restaurants are already buying "meat" from Redefine Meat.
"To begin the 3D-printed meat process, scientists biopsy a batch sample of animal stem cells depending on the desired type of meat — beef, pork, poultry or even fish. These cells then undergo an in vitro proliferation process, bathing in a nourishing, nutrient-dense serum within a climate-controlled bioreactor.
Over the course of several weeks, these cells multiply, interact and differentiate into the fat and muscle cells that make up bio-ink. Then, a robotic arm uses a nozzle to dispense this paste-like, cultured meat filament in fine layers atop one another. The arm follows the instructions of an uploaded digital file using computer-aided design, or CAD, software in order to replicate the correct shape and structure of the intended meat. 3D-printed meat material must be viscous yet firm enough to reproduce a structural model complete with accurate tissue vascularization, depending on the type and cut of meat."
Written by Brooke Becher Aug 09 2023

I've fed out some charolais, Limousin, simmental, Angus, and hereford. All have looked the same once unzipped. Haven't seen a longhorn or corriente (sp?) unzipped before. So can't speak on that.

I've never tried wagyu. But would like to. It sure is pretty.

Last edited:
I'd say 99% of our health problems are self inflicted and we only make them worse with our 'miracle cures'.

I need to work on my diet for my weight. I have done this over the past 2 years with interesting results though. There are all these drugs out there now designed to address weight (help you lose weight).

One of the things my wife and I did was get off the meal schedule that working for a living had indoctrinated into us. We eat two meals a day instead of three. Late morning, somewhere between 9 and 11... and again around 4 or 5PM. We might have a snack, but when we feel like we are gaining weight we cut them out. So we basically eat about 2/3 of the calories we would eat if we were having three full meals, and we don't miss the meal we don't eat. And I sleep better too. My weight can fluctuate twenty pounds between summer and winter, and exercise helps but calories are what makes me gain. One thing I've noticed is that getting down on the floor and then up several times a day seems to be better to lose weight than any kind of other exercise. I noticed that when I worked on a car in the garage for a couple of months. And it keeps me limber.

Last edited:
In that chart, if you cross one Piedmontese cow and an Angus Bull, where the calf is 50/50, see in that chart how much you change the value of your meat? You raise the protein and stop the calories and cholesterol too. Just one or two cows in your heard to raise a calf to put up in the freezer. And it being a one copy gene carrier, it will still make the meat more tender.
Yes, obviously the protein would be higher - it will be leaner meat (less fat - more red meat = higher protein). Same with the calories and cholesterol.

Jeanne, it is. Very little marbling, but that gene makes it very tender. It seems opposite what we know of in our Angus and other breeds. But when I first tried the meat, it tore on the grill when I picked it up. It was a ribeye, and I wish I had some of the beef now, but will just have to wait when I get a steer. They sell the meat on line. But it is out of my price range. I have to feed my cows first. :^)

Jeanne, it is. Very little marbling, but that gene makes it very tender. It seems opposite what we know of in our Angus and other breeds. But when I first tried the meat, it tore on the grill when I picked it up. It was a ribeye, and I wish I had some of the beef now, but will just have to wait when I get a steer. They sell the meat on line. But it is out of my price range. I have to feed my cows first. :^)
Can I ask what they get on that beef? Price wise...

Marbling isn't one bit correlated to tenderness in my humble opinion. I could be dead wrong in saying that.

Last edited:
I've always believed that how you cook something affects how tender it turns out.
Some cuts like steaks are better cooked fast and higher temperatures. To me the more marbling in a steak means it's a little more forgiving about being over cooked. When I grill a steak, I'm fine with it being fairly rare. My wife and her family want them burnt to a crisp ( not really that bad but they don't want any pink)
Other cuts like roasts are ok at lower temperatures and cooked for longer times.
We had a roast the other night my wife put in a crockpot for about 8 hours it was so tender it would almost melt in your mouth literally.
Lesser cuts like round steak a lot of people don't like, but my family really loves it cooked right it's great.

It took me a long time to figure out how hot a pan or grill has to be to properly sear a steak.
Nothing better than a steak out of a cast iron skillet cooked with bacon grease. I've been melting garlic butter on the steak as soon as I let it rest. Plate is filled with a wonderful dipping sauce... I'm making myself hungry. 😃

First let me say, a person cannot afford to feed a family buying this meat unless they raise it themselves. So, I know this is going to turn a lot of you off, but if you had a couple of the cows and raised a calf or two a year for you own freezer, then you don't have to pay these prices. They have one video where they are cutting the steak with a spoon, and it is that tender. But still, I can't afford this ......I will post that video and find prices.

We had a heifer calf born last January that could not put weight on its shoulder. It was stepped on or something and could not stand to nurse. The weather was mild so I left it out with the cow, tubed it a few times and then gave it a bottle for about three days. Finally one day I went out and it was standing and nursing. For weeks it remained within a nearby thicket, but I could tell it was nursing. All spring it stayed hid most of the time but by summer it was hobbling along with the other calves.
When it got to about 550 lbs we had it processed as it would have brought next to nothing at the yards. The cuts are small and have no marbling but they have been delicious.
Last Sunday my wife put the packages labeled "hocks" in a slow cooker the night before. I think it was the best beef we ever ate. You could cut it with a fork and had a delicious taste. Tonight she took what was left and made vegetable soup. Wow, that good taste was still there and I just ate two bowls of it.
Red neck Hereford cow and Sim-Angus bull. Mostly in the past we have processed half Jerseys for beef. I am too tight to process a calf that will bring a premium at the yards.

This says Waygu beef loin will contain over 40% IMF and up to 60%.
I just do not see the desire to have more white meat vs red meat.
I do not oppose having Choice quality marbling in my steaks. But, that's enough for me.

https://www.piedmontese.com/shop.aspx
I am sorry for the slow response as soon as I started this post, company knocked on the door, and they stayed a while.......

Right now, this site seems to have taken over all the meat purchases sites for some reason. But there is a site on Facebook where people sell the meat all the time.

Let me see if I can get this one other to load up...

It may all lead back to Lone Creek Cattle co.
I found a few more after much digging.....

Last edited:
Suzanne, have you tried the meat at all? Remember, advertising can be deceiving. I'm not saying the half blood offspring won't be good or even great eating, just that the breed has been around for a LONG time and have never gotten anywhere.
Semen is a cheap investment to get what you are trying to achieve. Keep us posted.

Latest posts